Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

What's Up With Dealers Lately?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 02:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about that too much but I do know that Kawi finally realized their 250's and 500's were fugly. The 08 250's are actually pretty sexy now. (let the flaming begin )

Old 05-22-2009, 02:48 AM

It's funny, i've been getting the opposite reactions from dealers. I've gone in to look at liter bikes or a 600 super sport. And the've been trying to push the little bikes on me. One honda dealer even tryed to sell me a CBR125. Im 6 foot 2 200 pounds and 28.. But he wouldn't have it lolol
I don't know :P I must look like a noob

Old 05-22-2009, 03:34 AM

on the unrelated subject..but along with the whole dealers pushing bikes..my buddy works at a local bike dealer, sold a bike to some kid who killed himself a few months afterwards...very sobering for anyone buying or selling a bike..

Old 05-22-2009, 03:55 AM

Not to agree with the dealers, but my wife started out on an 02 R6. It was a decision we made together. It was either that, or a ninja 500. After looking at the specs on a 500, we decided the R6 was the better choice. Sure, it has more power, but that is its only downfall. The 600 class bikes handle better, have better brakes, are generally lighter and have the most technology into them. In all, they are a safer bike to be on, aside from the power. If your better half is responsible, it shouldnt be an issue. Plus, the 600 class bikes are so docile down low, it would almost have to be intentional for her to get into trouble with the power. As long as she understands to keep it under a certain rpm, she should do fine. Just because she is a woman, doesnt mean she can't handle it. But I understand your issue. I struggled for a long time before I let my wife,(gf at the time) hop on the R6. She now drives a ninja 636 and I still look in the mirror constantly when she's behind me. But she is only 5'3", 110lbs and handles the bike well. In fact, we have a friend that has a 500 ninja and let her ride it last fall. while the bikes seat height was lower, she made the comment it was too heavy for her. Of course, the newer ninja 250 is light, but a 250 might be too small depending on what type of riding you plan on doing.

As for the FZ6R, that is basically a detuned naked R6, near 100 hp and makes power down lower in the rpm range. If its power your concerned with, that would not be a good choice either, and it is heavier. The Fz6 is putting down the same power your F4i is, just heavier. Looks can be deceiving. Weight was a major concern for my wife. If I had to choose between the F4i and the Fz6, Id choose the F4i just for the lighter weight.

the bottom line is, dont let anyone change your mind,(including me) on an issue that you yourself will have to deal with. You have your own opinion on what is a good starter bike for her and you should stick with it. just be sure to do some research and dont judge a bike on its appearance, or you, and your better half, may end up disapointed.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:18 AM

My opinion - Often times salesmen push whatever drives their compensation, and salesmen are often times rewarded with meatier commissions and even spiffs for certain products. They understand what the margins are on different bikes and how that affects their commission pay, and consequently put people in the bike that pads their wallet but isn't necessarily the RIGHT product.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:55 AM

I was in the local honda dealer just kinda glancing at the bikes on my way to the parts department, sales guy stops me. He asked if I had a bike, I was like yeah an F2 so then he starts talking about the 600rr first then throws in some info about the 1k. I told him I wasn't ready to upgrade yet and he just looked at me funny, I guess not too many people still ride 16 year old bikes? Once I told him I didn't have a full season riding experience yet he understood then let me go on my way.