Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

What do you think about the post office?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 12:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What do you think about the post office?

With all the talk about budget reduction and all that jazz what is your take on the post office? I personally do not like the post office but that is because of numerous issues. Most recently the mail lady lost my package/ lied about dropping it off(i watched the surveilance video), and forgged a BS name on the delivery signature and now who knows what is going to happen. Anyways im all for the government trying to save money but at the same time this is going to cost alot of people their jobs which iam not all for.

I also get all my bills online, and after loosing a few giftcards in the mail we now just transfer funds for birthday gifts, or send a gift via FedEx or UPS.

Whats your thought?

Old 09-28-2011, 07:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mom has been a postmaster for the past 5 years or so. but with that being said, with all of today's technology its a dying breed. The only thing you really "Need" it for anymore are larger packages. And I think ups and fedex are absolutely killing them on that. That doesn't leave them anything to do.

On a positive note, i've shipped things both ways (usps and ups) the post office is always cheaper.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:34 AM

The budget reduction is a joke but in an effort not to get this thread locked I will stay away from the topic. I live in a small town and the post office here works fine. I've never personally had an issue nor my family as I recall.
IBTL

Old 09-28-2011, 08:03 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had to file 3 complaints about the postal worker leaving the mail for our apartment building 6 units) laying on the doorstep instead of using the key provided to them. Once i had 2 credit cards in the stack sitting on the doorstep where anyone could have just taken the stack.

Online bill pay or even pay over the phone. Who gets anything but xmas cards in the mail anymore?

Old 09-28-2011, 10:03 AM
July 2012 Ride of the Month

Originally Posted by amRRussel
The budget reduction is a joke but in an effort not to get this thread locked I will stay away from the topic. I live in a small town and the post office here works fine. I've never personally had an issue nor my family as I recall.
IBTL
Same.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:52 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The US postal service is awesome. I've had a couple of choice words for our mail man in the past, but overall it's like magic. USPS kicks UPS and FedEx in the ***** for pricing. How else are you going to send a small package to Australia for like $2?
First class mail is the shiznit.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:04 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

well, the post office was the 2nd responsibility of the fed. gov't when it was created. the first was militia, so it's sad that the gov't thinks this is where it should cut back on costs considering all the other bullsh*t there is. having said that, i'm sure that since they have less demand for shipping now (thats what the excuse is from the post office for the reason they're so broke), they should cut back. and i'm sure they could find better logistics to save some costs as well. either way, they still have all of those benefits and pensions to pay, whether they shut down or not.

i haven't had too many complaints with my local post office except that i didn't get mail for a week when a new girl started because she didn't understand that my house got my mail. she was unsure if i lived there (been in the house for over a year already, never had this problem before her).... but baring that, i find it pretty good.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've worked in the Australian postal service in a few different jobs, although never did delivery. I have an old friend that is a postie & it's the only government business that they haven't sold off (yet). Its gone from its glory days of 2 mail deliveries a day (& opened on Saturdays) If you were a pensioner, it was the place to go to get your pension payment (& food & petrol coupons during the war). Although most of the stuff we get delivered is just bills (no one writes anymore), it had a bit of a revival with people buying a sh*t load of stuff online. Sure I've had mail go astray, we had a $68000 cheque (from my wife's Uncle estate) get put in the wrong letter box, but I've also been amazed at how quick the stuff that I post, gets delivered, plus our mail lady is rather cute on her post office issued Honda CT110 (biggest selling bike in Australia). Their is a proud history in most countries with the post & it would be a shame to see it disappear.