Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

What do i have to do to get my M1 license??

Old 10-30-2008, 01:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do i have to do to get my M1 license??

so i have my permit, and i am over 18. and i have my drivers license. So i am a lil confused on what i need to get my licence. do i just go there and take a written test, and a driving coarse? or is it mandatory to take safety coarse?
if its just the dmv written, and driving test, how hard is it? whats different about the licence test compared to the permit written test.
if you guys could help me out i would really appriciate it!!
thanks
COry

Old 10-30-2008, 01:18 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy
Default RE: What do i have to do to get my M1 license??

it really depends on where you are.every state has different restrictions on what exactly it takes to get your m1. even some cities the course is different. i recommend you take the msf course. it will help build the fundamentals it takes to become a better rider and can help break you of any bad habits you have developed already

Old 10-30-2008, 01:19 AM

It manly depends on your state.

Back when I got my endorsment I had to do this course that anyone could do blind folded its not hard. It consisted of getting up to5 MPH and then stopping, one turn and backing the backing the bike up.

Get your endorsment and then take an MSF course

Old 10-30-2008, 01:24 AM

ok so i see you're in chico, ca. up here in sacramento you can either take the test at dmv (actually difficult unless you practice ALOT before you take it...seen people fail in no joke 10 seconds from starting)

or you can take your local msf course. if you get in before you're 21 its only like 150 and a 3 day course. at the completion you get the cert that says you passed and you take it to your local dmv and they issue you your licence.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:25 AM

I am in California, and i am going to take msf coarse i just dont have time to right now. I need to get insurance on the bike, so i am planning on taking my license test this Friday.
basically do i need to take any classes? can i just go in there and take then written test and then take the driving test?

Old 10-30-2008, 01:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup depends where your from. Just call ahead and ask whats involved that way you wont be caught off guard.. Here in ontario when i went toget my M1 i had to take an eye test, a written motorcycle knowledge test, a sign knowledge test, and i had to re-write my G1 knowledge test again.. wasnt expecting to have to write my G1 again so i didnt study the book at all, luckily i passed it with a few guesses.. phew!

Old 10-30-2008, 01:29 AM

well i am 19, and i just dont have the time to do a msf coarse at the minute. i have been riding my bike for 3 weeks everyday... i am really comfortable on the bike i am 6 4' 220 so i dont have any problem holding the bike up or anything, and i a really comfortable turning at slow speeds. what kind of tests do they make you do when riding

Old 10-30-2008, 01:33 AM

like i said it can vary city to city. up here in sac they make you ride straight between some lines, weave through some cones, take a circle around twice to the right and twice to the left (this is where most people **** up) your back tire can go out side of the lines but your front must remain inside the lines. then ride back in a straight line and stop. also at no time can your feet come off the pegs unless you are stopping for the end of the test

now my boy down in bakerfield had a drive test just like you would in a car. instructor followed him around the block and gave him orders and such and thats it.

if you already have your permit you've already got the testing done just go for the drive test and if you pass you get your licence.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:35 AM

wait... so because i took my permit, all i need to do is pass the drivers tesT?
tight!

Old 10-30-2008, 01:38 AM

in order to get your permit you have to take 1 half general drivers questions and 1 half motorcycle specific questions and an eye exam. since you've already done this you wont need to do it again. the only thing im not sure of is that i had my permit and took the msf course. during that time i did have to pass an exam . now i dont know if you will have to take another exam or not if you goto teh dmv instead but i dont think you do ( i could be wrong)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What do i have to do to get my M1 license??