Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Well it seemed like a good idea...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 07:53 AM
Welcome Crew Technician
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahh sweet. Man that thing looks pretty sweet though. Looks big. What are we talking as far as power goes. 50cc 2 stroke? Funny thing is all I can picture is my little bros old Kx 60 ripping aroud, but this thing looks like a giant in comparison. Love it though. My next project will be a Supermotard and im glad to follow your progress. Jus hang in there bud. By the way havent seen the 955 since you were in the garage tearing it down and very pleased to see what you done with it. Looks amazing. Cant wait to see what you do with this SM. Cheers mate.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:57 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea the physical size is really big, I'm 170cm tall and I really got to throw a leg over to mount it. As far as power goes, not a whole lot. 50cc mopeds usually produce around 1-2hp here because of the power restrictions but since this one has a free flow pod filter and has had a rejet I'd reckon this one could have like 3-4hp.

In fact I just got the thing ready last night and listed it up for sale today.

Full mod list:

-speedo drive gear swapped
-full front shock rebuild
-Fatbar with adapters
-Raw Carbon look -LED indicator mirrors
-carbon look clutch and brake levers
-Polisport handles
-water pump rebuild, engine flush, steel starter pedal, Tnt magneto cover, new thermistor.
-Carb ultrasonicly washed, rejet, foxstar free flow pod filter with self made adapter
-full rear brake rebuild, aluminum pistons swapped for stainless, new seals, fluid, reservoir, pressure switch, Triumph Daytona heel plate
-new battery
-Polisport mudguard +tail light
-chainguard lasercut stainless
-Turbo kit muffler, possibly original exhaust
-various brackets etc bent from steel flat stock, screws hose clamps etc etc where needed.

What comes to the Daytona not a whole lot to show, been riding to work for a week now, haven't made any other visual changes than fitted the steering damper and handlebar riser bits to take the strain off my hands. The only downside with those seem to be that the front wheel constantly seems to fight gravity, must be because the weight distribution is now more towards the rear due to the more upright riding position

Last edited by Mattson; 04-10-2016 at 09:10 AM.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:42 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015

Sold the Derp-i last night. Gonna order me a new pilot power donut to the front when I get home tonight. Was thinking about buying one of those ebay balance rigs. Anyone has experoence with them? How would I know what weighs I need to add? Trial and error?

Old 04-25-2016, 05:15 AM

So this moped thing has sprung up an intriquing offer...

The lady that bought the Derbi for her son has asked me if I could do a thorough service on her father's 1973 Honda CB 500 Four. So far I've only seen one pic and this is all I know of it:

Has been rebuilt some years ago so looks mint in the pic
Been ridden one summer after the rebuild
Currently not firing. They suspect Reg/Rec but can be something else. Fresh battery didn't help (so I assume it is cranking but not getting a spark)
Got a flat in the front

...and that's about it. The problem is my knowledge about the cb four is that the valve rocker service caps are pretty brittle and can shatter when removed, and that's it. Now I KNOW there are several members here who MUST be familiar with the model so ANY help, links to material, valve clearances, spare part dealers, ANYTHING helps.

I'm most probly going to be accepting the offer but first I have to a)get the sty of a garage in tip top shape b) sevice the front forks on my daytona c) rebuilt a moisture damaged cabinet to our upstairs bathroom. Lucky they're not in a hurry with the bike...

Old 04-27-2016, 06:34 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Matti
See if you can hook up with the guys from Cleveland Moto. They do what is probably one of the most hilarious podcasts that is available, but they also seem to know a lot about the early Honda fours.

Cheers
TK

Old 04-30-2016, 05:49 AM

Thanks for the tip TK, gonna look it up if not for other than the podcast. My truck radio only finds one station and I'm filled to the brim with crappy "youth music"...

Old 05-23-2016, 09:38 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel your pain Matti, most cars in NZ seem to seek out Radio Rhema, which is some sort of Baptist happy clappy church broadcast. They obviously have much higher broadcast watts than any normal station; they somehow have permission to get priority whenever you hit the "Seek" button. Not suggesting some sort of Government conspiracy here; just an observation.