Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Well Acura has lost a customer

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 04:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well Acura has lost a customer

My mother called me on monday because her TL was shifting rough and the CEL came on. I went over and pulled the codes and got the "you need a new transmission" code. I told her that Acura extended the warranty on her car and she needed to take it to the dealer and then call Acura of North America. Well she informed the Service Manager of her intentions to call Acura and apparently he told her that wouldn't help. He called her back a couple of hours later and told her transmission was gone and it would cost $6200 (which is insanely high) but he had called Acura for her and was waiting for word. So she waited to see what he had to say. He called back today and said that Acura would cover $1600 of the repairs making it $4600 (which is still on the high side without a discount). So my mother called Acura to find out what was going on. Well it turns out that the service manager never called them. They apologized for the run around and then denied any goodwill. Apparently because she is 2,000 miles outside of the warranty and because she hasn't had all her service done at the Acura dealer they aren't willing to cover it. The problem is that she stopped going to the local dealer because they were ******** to her and myself on more than one ocassion. She has been taking her car to the local honda dealer ever since (she had the transmission serviced 2 months ago, which apparently is known to detinate these glass trannies. Also the warranty covers until 114.5k miles and she just turned over 116k. The fact that the service manager tried to swindle her and then Acura refused to do right by their product coupled with the horrible treatment at the local dealer is enough for me to swear off of them. Whats really ****ty is my mother tried to trade it on new TL 2 weeks ago but decided to wait because she wanted to hold off on a new car payment in the current economic situation.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:01 PM

it sounds like the manager did you a favor. Acura said they wouldnt cover ****. he got you some sort of a discount...

sucks. I know that feeling, Dealers always do this stuff. Any trans fluid and filter change on a higher mileage vehicle is a bad idea.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:11 PM

Except that the cost to swap the tranny should only be $3400-4000 so he gave her an inflated initial estimate and then acted like he did her a favor with the second quote which is still high. I know of several cases where Acura has covered the tranny swap on these cars because its a known issue, they have recalled it twice. Hell we have a family friend who has had his tranny replaced 3!!! times by acura at no cost. So I am going to try and give them a call tommorow and see if I can't motivate them. Until then I am filling complaints with every organization that will listen, including reporting the lieing ****ing service manager to whoever will listen.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the way the manager went about it is shady, but the bottom line is that the warranty is expired be it by 2k mi or 2 miles.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:43 PM

Maybe it will teach you to not buy a car with known problems.. Come on what is this? its not like acuras are putting out power or anything.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:04 PM
July 2008 ROTM

Find a reputable private mechanic. It won't be warrantied, but it won't be $4k either.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Aken
Find a reputable private mechanic. It won't be warrantied, but it won't be $4k either.
+1. My mechanic has saved me a butt load of money

Old 04-10-2009, 12:43 AM
Location: Granger, Indiana (Next to South Bend and Notre Dame)

Aren't Acura's honda owned, so wouldn't you thhink taking it to a honda dealership still qualify it as an Acura dealership?

Old 04-10-2009, 01:03 AM

you could have bought a really nice car for all that money

Old 04-10-2009, 01:19 AM

Sue em!

And buy a BMW next time

Quick Reply: Well Acura has lost a customer