Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Wave to scooters?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 05:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wave to scooters?

Lately even sport bikes have not waved at me...douchebag new riders. I don't ever wave at Harleys unless they wave first.

I usually act obnoxious around scooters, moreso if i'm with a few other riders. One time I kept reving at one when we were at the stop light. 50cc's is so funny

Old 08-19-2008, 09:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Duke, I think in other countries it is a bit different too than here in the US. I have not been there so I can't speak first hand, but I know it a lot of other countries smaller vehicles are pretty much needed to get around easily. Is that what it's like over there?

Old 08-19-2008, 09:43 AM

speaking of scooters...some guy on what looked like a 125 had the nerve to WOT when he saw me standing next to my bike...i laughed obnoxiously and bent over while doing so, pretty sure he felt stupid afterwards

Old 08-19-2008, 09:52 AM

Hey rrasco

Nope its cool over here. if you are thinking that South Africa looks something like India or China then thats waaaay wrong. Its similar to Australia if you have ever been there, but with a European climate (awesome!!!). People only ride scooters here because they cannot afford a big bike or for fuel economy reasons. There are huge followings of big bikes over here and there are hundreds of breakfast runs on Sundays over here (Especially in the Johannesburg area). The Western Cape region is a bit more relaxed and the popo are not as **** over here as they are in the Johannesburg area.

The Western Cape is really a cool place for a biker to live. We dont get deers running across roads, only squatters (people that live in shacks) and dogs.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:37 PM

What is it with the hate for scooters. I think it usually comes from new riders who "think" they are oh so cool and can ride, or they have some kind of ego/security problem. Thats like me saying "why would anyone ride a F4?" of course that statement is stupid, much like the comment on homos on scooters. I'm with bluefox and rrasco on this one. They are out there like you or me, so scooter, 250, 600, 1K or whatever. I ride a vino classic lots of times, almost daily, the quick-mart is not a mile away and it makes for a quick sprint to the store for the nights groceries, get a movie or whatever, and I can haul more on it than my 1krr, or my xt, or my DRZ, or my dl650. so, does that make me a homo? Not to mention, 90mpg and 26$ a YEAR for full coverage, so, I guess others are cool cause they have a 6K$ gscbrxr1 cool sportbike, and IF they have insurance, pay more a year in insurance than I paid for the scooter outright,and get a third of the gas milage, but hey, they're cool right? Grow up.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:27 PM

Please dont get me wrong, I dont hate the buggers. I was simply stating that where I live, they are the only ones that dont seem to be friendly enough to even look at someone let alone wave as all of the big bike riders do. I guess I am accustomed to bikers greeting each other and find that strange or maybe annoying when the others (scooter) riders dont. maybe I expect them to but that is just my view of the situation. I would also contemplate getting a small bike like a CBX250 for fuel consumption reasons but for the mere fact that I work 7 minutes from home it is rather pointless. I stated in my previous post that people over here buy scooters for fuel economy and price reasons as superbikes are damn expensive over here (not to mention our interest rates on repayments), so I dont hate them, I feel for them. I was not criticizing the size of their engines, I was only stating their road manners as bikers of South Africa.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:50 PM

ORIGINAL: Shocktroop

What is it with the hate for scooters. I think it usually comes from new riders who "think" they are oh so cool and can ride, or they have some kind of ego/security problem. Thats like me saying "why would anyone ride a F4?" of course that statement is stupid, much like the comment on homos on scooters. I'm with bluefox and rrasco on this one. They are out there like you or me, so scooter, 250, 600, 1K or whatever. I ride a vino classic lots of times, almost daily, the quick-mart is not a mile away and it makes for a quick sprint to the store for the nights groceries, get a movie or whatever, and I can haul more on it than my 1krr, or my xt, or my DRZ, or my dl650. so, does that make me a homo? Not to mention, 90mpg and 26$ a YEAR for full coverage, so, I guess others are cool cause they have a 6K$ gscbrxr1 cool sportbike, and IF they have insurance, pay more a year in insurance than I paid for the scooter outright,and get a third of the gas milage, but hey, they're cool right? Grow up.
Yeeeaaaah +1

Wave to someone on this?

Name:  101_2101.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  135.3 KB

lolol I'm on it sometimes and I can ride a wheelie on it all day standing on the seat at 35, at least it's a honda :P

Old 08-20-2008, 08:06 AM

if they do it first then yea

Old 08-20-2008, 08:33 AM

I said I dont wave to anyone. Let me elaborate. I ride to school and work EVERYDAY. I see a bunch of motorcycles everyday. If I were to follow the "waving code" I would be rasing my hand every freaken minute. I did this for a while, now its just annoying as hell to wave. I'm sure a lot of you dont ride your bike everyday or have a big biking population and you dont mind waving. But after doing this for a while I want to throw up after waving so much.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:18 AM

Yeah, by waving I meant nodding. We nod down here in S.A.

Waving is a little "girlie like".

Quick Reply: Wave to scooters?