Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

warning to all internet buyers

Old 05-07-2007, 08:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default warning to all internet buyers

hey this is just a warning to you guys .. i don't know if somebody has talked about this or not but i was in a local shop on friday of last week and was talking to the owner of the shop .. and he says becareful whatyou buy on the internet .. he has 2 shops up inphx. that has been dealing with alot ( 15-20 last week alone) of people buying tires on ebay and such and there are tires from new orleans, La ,( none of them where shipped from there but you get the ideal ) from when everything was under water ..my tire turned out to be fine but i am jus letting you guys know becarful ..
this is the kinda stuff that just pisses me off to no extent .. why do this to somebody so you can make a quick buck?

Old 05-07-2007, 08:53 PM
Default RE: warning to all internet buyers

ORIGINAL: mkhaynesaz
why do this to somebody so you can make a quick buck?
because most human beings are greedy by nature and thats all they see us as are walking bags of money

Old 05-07-2007, 10:53 PM

Ok, tires from the flood in LA, they spent some time underwater....and this damages the tires how? it might be a good bargain, IF you know what you're getting (which doesn't seem to be the case in that situation)

But I TOTALLY get what you're saying. I bet some (a $h1tt0ad) of those "salvage titles" and flood damaged cars/ bikesend up being sold under less than honest circumstances

Old 05-08-2007, 12:58 AM
VP

man that's a really good point... anybody know what the actual danger of riding with a tire that was wet is? I mean they get wet all the time right? can't be that bad

Old 05-08-2007, 01:05 AM
Retired Administrator

When you have a flood, you don't just get water. There's a lot of other chemicals floating around in the water. I wouldn't want to buy a tire that has been soaked on clean or dirty water for any amount of time. I like my rubber to be new and sticky... my bike and my skin are worth more than the $20 I'd save on flood tires.

But... .I do like how all of the "urban legends" stem for disaters like this. The same story about this is going through ever lumber yard and mulch suppliers as well. You get the same thing about used cars and so on.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:21 AM

what happens to the tires is .. they look great till you try to mount then they just fall appart and your stuck with no tire on your bike at all !

Old 05-08-2007, 01:31 AM

Ran into that problem in North Carolina after hurricain Floyd. Everything was flooded, and engines and car parts were turning up everywhere in salvage yards and sold as good engines. Same for allot of cars that got detailed and sold off, only the new owner realized in a few months that it was a flood car with all the rusting under the upholstry and pretty much all the car going to ****.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:04 AM

ORIGINAL: mkhaynesaz

what happens to the tires is .. they look great till you try to mount then they just fall appart and your stuck with no tire on your bike at all !
Oh, ok, so the rubber becomes brittle when soaked for an extended ammount of time... Thanks, Didn't know. That really sucks a$$