Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

useless facts

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 04:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: useless facts

Koala bears spend 70% of their time sleeping...the rest is eating and mating....
I want to be a koala...

Old 02-12-2007, 12:23 PM

1. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright
until you hear them speak.
2. He who laughs last, thinks slowest.
3. Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
4. Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.
5. Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
6. The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something
right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.
7. If you lined up all the cars in the world end to end, someone would be
stupid enough to try to pass them, five or six at a time, on a hill, in
the fog.
8. If the shoe fits, get another one just like it.
9. The things that come to those who wait, will be the things left by
those who got there first.
10. Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and
he will sit in a boat all day drinking beer.
11. A flashlight is a case for holding dead batteries.
12. The shinbone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.
13. A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.
14 When you go into court, you are putting yourself in the hands of 12
people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

Old 02-12-2007, 12:34 PM

ORIGINAL: voodoochyl

Hoosier, do you know you are stuttering? You've posted that left turn thing about eighty times...are you the Rainman?
HA!

MDFF

Old 02-12-2007, 03:07 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: james007torres24

i <3 jeff gordon and nascar.

Power rangers where "the ****" back in my day.
I'm 28. I was a kid when the Morphin' Dudes came along...

The Power Rangers have never, nor will ever be, "the ****."

Also, since we have cable tv and the internet - there is now, officially, no reason Nascar fans should continue to be enchanted by the evil ovals. We even have a MotoGP track here in the States!

EDIT: Haha - sorry for pickin' on ya, James... it happens

Old 02-12-2007, 07:28 PM

I thought I would do my part here...

[ul][*]No piece of normal-size paper can be folded in half more than 7 times.[*]The first product to have a bar code scanned was Wrigley's gum. [*]
Earth is the only planet not named after a pagan God. [*]
A Boeing 747s wingspan is longer than the Wright brother's first flight. [*]
Venus is the only planet that rotates clockwise. [*]
The Himalayan gogi berry contains, weight for weight, more iron than steak, more beta carotene than carrots, more vitamin C than oranges. [*]
Fingerprints of koala bears are similar (in pattern, shape and size) to the fingerprints of humans [*]
Apples, not caffeine, are more efficient at waking you up in the morning. [/ul]
[ul][*]
Pele has always hated his nickname, which he says sounds like "baby-talk in Portuguese". [*]As of 2006, 200 million blogs were left without updates[*]Urban birds have developed a short, fast "rap style" of singing, different from their rural counterparts.[*]The lion costume in the film Wizard of Oz was made from real lions.[*]Fathers tend to determine the height of their child, mothers their weight.[*]The Pope's been known to wear red Prada shoes.[*]Donald Rumsfeld was both the youngest and the oldest defense secretary in US history.[*]Coco Chanel started the trend for sun tans in 1923 when she got accidentally burnt on a cruise.[*]Up to 25% of hospital keyboards carry the MRSA infection.[*]Sex workers (Prostitutes) in Roman times charged the equivalent price of eight glasses of red wine.[*]As of 2006, more than one in eight people in the United States show signs of addiction to the internet.[*]More than 90% of plane crashes have survivors.[*]The Mona Lisa used to hang on the wall of Napoleon’s bedroom.[*]Barbie's full name is Barbie Millicent Roberts.[*]Eating a packet of crisps a day is equivalent to drinking five liters of cooking oil a year.[*]Plant seeds that have been stored for more than 200 years can be coaxed into new life.[*]For every 10 successful attempts to climb Mount Everest there is one fatality. (As of 2006)[*]Watching television can act as a natural painkiller for children[*]Forty-one percent of English women have punched or kicked their partners, according to a study.[*]The more panels a football has - and therefore the more seams - the easier it is to control in the air.[*]Music can help reduce chronic pain by more than 20% and can alleviate depression by up to 25%.[*]The egg came first.[*]Modern teenagers are better behaved than their counterparts of 20 years ago, showing "less problematic behavior" involving sex, drugs and drink. [*]Britain is still paying off debts that predate the Napoleonic wars because it's cheaper to do so than buy back the bonds on which they are based. [*]In Bhutan government policy is based on Gross National Happiness; thus most street advertising is banned, as are tobacco and plastic bags. [*]The best-value consumer purchase in terms of the price and usage is an electric kettle.[*]Camel's milk, which is widely drunk in Arab countries, has 10 times more iron than cow's milk.[*]Iceland has the highest concentration of broadband users in the world.[*]The age limit for marriage in France was, until recently, 15 for girls, but 18 for boys. The age for girls was raised to 18 in 2006.[*][siz

Old 02-12-2007, 07:33 PM

ORIGINAL: maxxheadroom

I thought I would do my part here...
[ul][*]No piece of normal-size paper can be folded in half more than 7 times. [/ul]
This one has been disproved by the mythbusters

Old 02-12-2007, 07:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

walt disney afraid of mice? how ironic

Old 02-12-2007, 08:55 PM

mythbusters proved it is possible to fold it more than 7 times if its a abnormally large piece of paper.

Old 02-12-2007, 09:03 PM

ORIGINAL: F4Isvt

mythbusters proved it is possible to fold it more than 7 times if its a abnormally large piece of paper.
It was impossible to fold a piece of letter-sized (8.5" x 11", 216 mm × 279 mm) 20 lb (75 g/m2) copy paper with perpendicular folds more than seven times. The thickness of the paper exponentially grew with each successive fold, and after the seventh fold the paper was just too thick to fold without breaking. The MythBusters then laid out a football field-sized sheet of interconnected paper (170 ft x 220 ft, 51.8 m x 67.1 m), and due to the reduction of its thickness-to-area ratio (and with help from a steam roller and a forklift), were able to perpendicularly fold the paper 11 times. Other methods of folding a piece of paper (such as with alternating folds) proved able to break the fold threshold of 7 for letter-sized paper, and perpendicular folds of more than 7 were theoretical with the standard size, but with thinner paper.

Old 02-12-2007, 09:13 PM

I got 8 folds. But it looks more like a ball. So maybe that dont count.

Quick Reply: useless facts