CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   urgent!!!!!!!!!! (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/urgent-83412/)

mshoaf 11-28-2008 11:55 PM

urgent!!!!!!!!!!

hey! me again. i have to ask u guys something. i want to get this bike ive been looking at, but i wanted to go again wit someone who knows a lil more about bikes before i buy it off the person. the only thing is my work schedule wont permit us to go together for atleast over a week.i dont reallywant buy it onmy own.would it be dumb to buy the bike on my own? i would wait but he did say someone else gave him an offer(he may be just saying that but this is the only good bike i can afford and i dont really want totake the chance) if i do buy it own my own is there something i should keep aneye out for????

Shadow 11-28-2008 11:59 PM

RE: urgent!!!!!!!!!!

I'd wait, or find another knowledgeable friend.........
What make/model is it ?
Maybe one of the Forum members could spare some time if they live close by.......
Possibly even the mechanic at the local stealership would be prepared to look at it - if it's a good bike, the owner shouldn't mind an inspection.
It'd take me too long to get there........[X(]

mshoaf 11-29-2008 12:07 AM

its a 1996 cbr f3!! im near columbus ohio but im not really counting on someone lol. thanks tho! :Dthere where two people i wanted to take, one was a machanic but he doesnt aprove of me starting on a 600 and the other teaches the motorcycle safety classes and he said this would be a decent bike to start on but our schedules are totally different! so idk what to do! maybe i should try to wait.

Shadow 11-29-2008 12:11 AM

Better option to wait, than buy a lemon and spend all your time fixing the thing ![8D]

mshoaf 11-29-2008 12:12 AM

yeah thanks!

CBRclassic 11-29-2008 12:15 AM

Mate ..
You are sort of answering your own question to a degree..
If you can not get your friend to look at it and you can not find anyone else , you are going to have to chance it if you do not want to loose her ...
Unless you can implement Shadows ideas ..?

Machines are pretty easy to asses considering that no one will let you pull it apart to check it right over anyway ...

With bikes..
Just do the std look over ...
How many KLM on the clock tell allot usually..

Is she generally clean?

Does she start easily??

Is she scratched or dented anywhere critical ..
(frame / swing arm / wheel rims / Wheels straight ) or expensive? ( tank /plastics)

Does the engine rattle allot ? or does she sound pretty quiet?

Are the tires good ? (Tread depth / not cracked or old looking )

Check the Chain ( not rusty / loose / are the adjusters not wound right out to the end? )

Try the brakes for feel ( do not pull right in to the bars ect? )

Feel and inspect the discs for excessive grooves or sign of wear or damage .)

Check ALL the running lights including gauges lights..

If the guy will not let you test ride her ..?

Get the guy to take you for a slow spin on the back to see how she feels and if she pulls ok , rattles anywhere ? ect ..

If after all this she seem good ....I would grab her .. :D

but remember , if you can get an expert from a bike shop to go with you ....do it mate ..
It might cost you a few bucks , but it would be worth it .. :D

Shadow 11-29-2008 12:21 AM

Nice summary there, Classic !
Good thinking...........as usual....
I must be unwell, giving you compliments..............:(

mshoaf 11-29-2008 12:31 AM

oh man thats really good advice!!!!!! thank you!two people say two different things! ugh! lol not sure who's advice to take.[sm=headbang.gif]i mean i dont want her to slip away! if you think by doing all that i will be able to tell whether she's a lemon or not i think i might have to do that.

CBRclassic 11-29-2008 12:32 AM

ORIGINAL: Shadow

Nice summary there, Classic !
Good thinking...........as usual....
I must be unwell, giving you compliments..............:(

Geezus ...you must be unwell ?... :eek: think about my bloody shock mate :eek::eek:
I just read your reply and had to grab me pills then crawl on me knees to go get me mobile oxygen tank ;)

CBRclassic 11-29-2008 12:52 AM

ORIGINAL: mshoaf

oh man thats really good advice!!!!!! thank you!two people say two different things! ugh! lol not sure who's advice to take.[sm=headbang.gif]i mean i dont want her to slip away! if you think by doing all that i will be able to tell whether she's a lemon or not i think i might have to do that.
No probs ..:D
just print off or hand copy the check list if you decide to go by your self and take your time point by point till you have touched and crawled all over and looked at every bloody thing on the list ...

You will soon spot things that are not quite right .. ;)
good luck my friend:D