Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Undecided about riding again

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 03:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Undecided about riding again

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and just wanted to introduce myself and say hi. My hubby, HARDCORP, is a member on here and I have read some of the posts on here, but decided to register myself. Hubby is the one who got me interested in bikes. After a few rides, I was no longer satisfied being a passenger. I love riding. There's nothing like it. After our crash, my first by the way, I am slightly scared to get back on. I have told everyone that I would NEVER be back on one. Now, whether I will or not, I really don't know. Hardcorp made the comment to me that I have to remember how much I love riding instead of focusing on the pain of the accident. I know he is right, but I just have to take the time to heal physically as well as mentally, and can hopefully get over the fear, to one day ride again. I am thinking of taking the MSF advanced riderscourse, to help rebuild my confidence in my riding ability. So, I guess time will tell as far as if I will get back on.

Old 09-19-2007, 03:42 PM
Registered Users
Default RE: Undecided about riding again

hi poet, nice to finally read a post from the wife with the heroic husband

personally, i have been on the board for a few months and hardcorp always seems to know what to say in that he takes responsibility for his actions and makes no excuses. he has a good head on his shoulders and knows what he is saying....it's very comendable. his comments now are no exception. i haven't ridden nearly as long, but i have a friend who went down, told me he would never ride, and recently decided he would, given some time.

i can't imagine the fear of going down. I am sure i will one day, but for now, i can only imagine. but like everything else in life, nothing is 100%. there is nothing saying you will be perfect from here on out, but i have come to the conclusion that life is short and that no matter what, you need to do what you enjoy (excluding crazy things like base jumping, that's just nuts!!)

give it time, there is nothing saying you have to come back now, in a month, 6 months or even a year....but don't tell yourself you are giving up now because that would be a shame for you to lose something you enjoyed so much....

take the course and start slow....no highways, no twisties, just get your confidence back....just find the joy in riding again and i am sure everything will work out...

best of luck and i hope you're feeling better.

Old 09-19-2007, 03:42 PM

All i can say is welcome, and start riding as soon as you can... no need to think to much about what if...

Old 09-19-2007, 03:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1, get back on as soon as possible....if you let it idle in your mind, it may only build up against you riding again. get right back on the horse so to speak.

and also, welcome! hardcorp really became a knight in shining armor that day, eh?

Old 09-19-2007, 04:00 PM

I'm with ffingers. Hardcorps always knows what to say, and is a very responsible rider. I read his write up about the accident and what you guys went through was an incredible ordeal, one that is bound to shake up ANY rider regardless of their time in the saddle. As far as i see it, why make a definitive decision now? focus on healing, focus on getting back to 100% or as close as you can possibly get to it. When the time comes, and the opportunity arises, see how you feel then. Don't discount riding, but don't jump right back on. Taking the MSF course is ALWAYS a good idea.

take it slow, get better, you and your "hubby" and when the opportunity arises, then make a decision. no reason to jump the gun right now.

Old 09-19-2007, 04:12 PM

ORIGINAL: rrasco

hardcorp really became a knight in shining armor that day, eh?
LOL...Try living with him. What was so ironic, that day, I didn't want to go riding that day, just wanted togo shopping and ride thenext day, but he kept bugging me until I gave in. Look what happened. I bet next time he listens to me.

Old 09-19-2007, 04:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: swt_poet

ORIGINAL: rrasco

hardcorp really became a knight in shining armor that day, eh?
LOL...Try living with him. What was so ironic, that day, I didn't want to go riding that day, just wanted togo shopping and ride thenext day, but he kept bugging me until I gave in. Look what happened. I bet next time he listens to me.
nah....we never listen.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:56 PM
Retired Moderator

Welcome Poet, we are proud to have you here! Take as much time as you want. My wife and I did the same as you guys...with my gentle nudging. She got a bike becuase I told her that the experience of riding cannot be felt by osmosis or on the back of my bike, and now she is addicted. She took a spill down an embankment, and did not experience the type of accident you did, but she isstill riding. I hope you feel better (physically and mentally), and get back on your ride...when the time is right. For now, thank you forcontributing to this forum. Keep us posted...

Old 09-19-2007, 08:04 PM

You'll be back on. The addiction doesn't go away. Just get back on at your pace. Glad to have you here.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:11 PM

I say go ahead and take the advanced course. Or hell just retake the bigginers if you want to. Whats a few hundred bucks when it has to do with your riding comfort. If you think you would feel more confident after taking another course, i would do it. It cann't hurt it can only help and if it doesn't your out what 200 bucks.

That B my 2 cents

Quick Reply: Undecided about riding again