Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Track Day question

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 07:34 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Track Day question

i've been riding since this past April and i have a '01 F4i. i've got 3,400 miles of seat time so far and im begining to get comfortable in the turns finally, and begining to SLOOOOWLY lose the chicken strips. i have a few.....ok, maybe alot, of questions about track days since i know alot of fellow cbr members do track days......

so i'd like a preview of what my first time will be like, what should i expect?

will i be the laughed at newb w/ my 1" chicken strips, lol?

how does it work, will i go out w/ an instructor my 1st time?

what are the gear requirements? (i have helmet, leather gloves, leather jacket, over the ankle boots)

how many "runs" do you get to do?

how many people are out at a time?

will i be addicted, lol?

i apologize if the questions seem stupid, but im begining to love the twists and turns on the bike and wouldnt mind trying a track day before the end of this season. plus i know alot of you guys are heavily into track days and can probably leave good advice, answers, and tips.

thanks in advance!

Old 06-23-2007, 10:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Track Day question

ORIGINAL: jaynd

i've been riding since this past April and i have a '01 F4i. i've got 3,400 miles of seat time so far and im begining to get comfortable in the turns finally, and begining to SLOOOOWLY lose the chicken strips. i have a few.....ok, maybe alot, of questions about track days since i know alot of fellow cbr members do track days......

so i'd like a preview of what my first time will be like, what should i expect?

will i be the laughed at newb w/ my 1" chicken strips, lol?

how does it work, will i go out w/ an instructor my 1st time?

what are the gear requirements? (i have helmet, leather gloves, leather jacket, over the ankle boots)

how many "runs" do you get to do?

how many people are out at a time?

will i be addicted, lol?

i apologize if the questions seem stupid, but im begining to love the twists and turns on the bike and wouldnt mind trying a track day before the end of this season. plus i know alot of you guys are heavily into track days and can probably leave good advice, answers, and tips.

thanks in advance!
You will absolutely love the track, far more than the street. It's a whole different experience. If you go through a good organization like NESBA, or TeamPROMOTION, and many others) you will get a good experience. They give in class instruction, then you immediately go out and have sessions to apply what you learned or for feedback. Then they give hot sessions after the school. The more you go, you can move up in groups, like, basic/white, red, blue. Again, there are many others depending on your locations. In my opinion, the track is a zen experience. The best!

Just answer this question and it will determine whether the track is something you want to do or not.

Would you like to go as fast or slow as you want through turns knowing that if you fall, you will have plenty of room to slide?

Old 06-23-2007, 03:53 PM

hell yeah! and i was already looking into NESBA. i think either the end of this season or next, im gonna go give it a try.

Old 06-24-2007, 02:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stop being a ***** jay. and also sell me that quad that u wrecked on and cut your arm on the grab bar. godspeed at the track mane

Old 06-24-2007, 12:27 PM

^ hahaha, its almost been a year since i did that too (first weekendof August). wanna see the pic again?!?!?! lmao

Old 06-24-2007, 05:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Gear....... Full leathers, back protector, gauntlet gloves, boots, helmet.

Bike........ Depends on organization and level, but expect to remove the liscense tag and tape up all lights and speedo. Remove the bulbs or fuses so they don't bake the tape on. No anti freeze. Run Watter Wetter of similar approved coolant. Make sure oil filter is tight, drain plug tight, and fill plug tight. Remove mirrors. Have good tires on the bike!

DON'T FORGET YOUR BIKE KEY!

1st session will more than likely be done behind control riders to show you the track and proper lines around the track. If you want some help, talk to one of the control riders and ask.

How many sessions? Probably 5 or 6 20 minute sessions.

Addicting? HELL YES!

One track day will teach you more about yours and your bike's abilities than a summer of riding back roads! No worries about crap on the corners. No one in your lane coming at you. No soccer moms on cell phones trying to run you off the road, and most importantly, no POPO so you can go as fast as you are able!

Old 06-24-2007, 06:09 PM

if you've got a Barnes & Noble type store close to you, pick up a Roadracing World Trackday Directory or order one online
its got all the info you need for starting trackdays including a full schedule of trackdays/schools in the US for 2007 and what each organization requires of you.

Old 06-24-2007, 07:00 PM

you will need to get a full suit, and boots, i would suggest after you get that, save around 400 to spend on a track day, gas there and back for me is like 100 bucks, expect to pay at least 40 in gas for your bike whilie yur there... at least 40. bring a whole lota stuff in an ice chest and yur bbq grill. unless they have concessions open. last time i went with like 10 buddies we brought a 5 gallon bucket full to the top with meat. bcuz the concession stands were not open... and everyone at the track migrated over when they saw what we were cookin haha, they all offered to pay for some grub but we let them all eat for free (especially the really hot girls ahah, but that is another story) and expect to pay no less than 200 for entry fee for the track.

Old 06-24-2007, 09:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

and expect to pay no less than 200 for entry fee for the track.
WOW! I have never paid more than $135! Where the hell you riding?

Old 06-24-2007, 10:02 PM

Barber and Road Atlanta over here are usually $200 but then you've got tracks like TalladegaGP/Jennings, Roebling, etc that are almost half that so average cost should be around $160 in the Southeast

Jay, I saw on your profile your in Maryland so I'm guessing VIR would maybe be closest? Thats probably closer to RA/Barber in price, while BeaveRun and Pocono in PA are probably a little cheaper. This all depends, of course, on what org you ride with and if its a school or trackday.

Quick Reply: Track Day question