Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Thoughts on the future.. ooooo ahhhh..

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 07:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive been riding sportbikes for 19 years and i always wanted myself a 900 RR and i did finnally find one 4 years ago,and then i ifound the 929RR in baby condition, im prolly not the best knee dragger or the cycle king but lets just say ive had a few GET OFFS, and have had a good deal of riding under my belt, and let me say that my 929 will scare the chit out of me, throttle is almost too responsive , glitch the throttle the smallest bit too much in a corner and bike seems to want me off. all of my 600 bikes were way more forgiving, and NEVER did i get off of my six and say i want more power. in a way i wish i had a six again . and Hang i was thinkin the same thing...1Krr for $6800brand new, it now comes with a coffin and a tombstone order form. the price alone will attract peeps that have no clue what they are gettin into.PG thats rite, before prayers can be said your breathing thru a tube or worse...sad but true a kid up the road just got one for his 18th b-day(WTF) and wants to ride with me and i have found every excuse not too, i told his dad that hes a fool for buying that for his kid... HE said" i got it so cheap i could not walk away", now lets hope the kid will be able to walk away......

Old 11-04-2009, 07:51 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

and, to all those people on a smaller bike like a 250 or 500 ... I say this, don't test ride your mate's old carbed and out of tune CBR600 and think "oh no, I need more" ...make a real effort to go out and test ride an 08 onwards CBR600RR ... you may just be very surprised :-)

I went from a CBR600F3 that ran and still does run beautifully, plenty fast or so I thought ..until I got my 600RR, it's night and day, the new 600 is faster everywhere even right down low in the rev range ... and the handling is instant and telepathic :-)

Jules

Old 11-04-2009, 07:53 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm fully in agreement -
Unfortunately there's a direct correlation between testosterone and the right wrist........
The more powerful the bike, the more chance of disaster.
Yes there are the exceptions, but "Power without control" is a recipe for intensive care.
I think 18 year-olds should not be ALLOWED to ride or own litre class bikes, unless they can proof competence to people who know how to test them, both mentally and in terms of being bike-capable.
The best answer I can think of : Know your limitations :

Old 11-04-2009, 04:45 PM

i agree that liter bikes are bad news for new riders but i actually did things *** backwards i started on a 1000cc rode that till it died got a 929 rode that till it was stolen got an f4 which spent more time gettin fixed than riding and now a 600rr which for me is by far the greatest handling bike i have ridden out of them all i test drove the 1000 but for me the 600rr felt and handled the way i enjoy, plus shes hella fast..what im sayin is it all boils down to the rider and how far you twist the throttle!!!!!!

Old 11-04-2009, 05:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dunno if it'll be a direct correlation between the 1k price and accidents. I mean gixxers are still the status symbol of squidhood.

I do believe that any extremely high performance vehicle should be kept out of the hands of a newbie. Seriously, if my 1st car had been a Porsche, I prolly wouldn't be here. But Mom made me buy the Citation (with my own money too) Given later in my driving career I rolled an Isuzu Stylus 7 times (and cut down a freeway light), it prolly was a good decision.

I'm sure if I took Jules advice about trying a 600rr I'd look at my F3 like she's a turtle. And that actually worries me. Even with the troubles she had when I first got her, my F3 regularly threatened to leave me at the light if I cranked the throttle just a tinsy bit more. We've come to an understanding since then. I can only imagine the (stereo)typical 18 - 21 year old sitting on a 1krr. I know what would it'd been like if it were me at that age: 0 - way too fast to impact a brick wall in 3.8 sec

Old 11-04-2009, 09:39 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The way I see it is one word

Respect

Respect of your own riding abilities
Respect of the machine you are riding
Rspect for those and the road you travel on.

Very clear for me and it's what keeps me alive
and totally loving riding a really superbike !

Old 11-05-2009, 01:11 AM

I fit in the category of the "squid"..my first bike was my 929RR it was lowered already, colored was perfect and i bought it. I was warned by friends up and down that i would kill myself and etc..
I think 3 main things one must consider is maturity, respect, and self control.
i knew what i was getting into, and like i told everyone else..no matter how big the bike is..its all about self control and respecting the machine you are sitting on. I've only had one accident, first day i bought it...i was learning on the bike and slipped on some gravel and cracked a rib and some fenders. Other then that pretty good riding, i had good teachers and my head on straight.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the future.. ooooo ahhhh..