Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Gear vs. no gear

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 05:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear vs. no gear

So I am new to the forum as you can tell by my post count. However, I am not new to riding. So as I have been looking around here and noticed on the "gave the wave, got flipped off" topic that some sport bike riders do not wave to other sport bike riders that are not in gear. I have ridin bikes for many years including sport bikes in the mid 80's when "gear" was not what it is today. So here's my question, if I ride without gear does that make me less of an enthusiast?

Old 04-10-2009, 05:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the ATGATT crowd would think you're crazy (which I am one of). I wear a 1pc leather suit locally, and a 2pc textile suit for touring.

I always like to mention that civil liberties aren't to be mistaken for common sense.

It is nice to ride with a tshirt and the wind blowing in your hair - however - when you consider what happens when you hit the pavement that fun factor is instantly lost. I personally find it crazy to not wear the gear. Gear has come a long way in recent years, and it is now comfortable, and I find - more comfortable than not wearing it.

If you don't wear gear do I judge you? Not really... but I remember my accidents and realize I'd probably have had a double amputation without gear. Instead I downhill ski every winter, play hockey, walk to work... quite happy. I don't judge you, but I do find it hard to understand.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:53 PM

I understand what your saying woot. Why do you suppose non sport bike riders don't wear gear then? They are just as much at risk as a sport bike rider.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:18 PM

Bro, if you want to ride with a t-shirt, shorts, sandals....whatever, it's on you. Your still cool in my book. Please see pic!

I always wear a jacket, gloves, and a helmet at all times. It's comfortable and offers piece of mind. I am planning on picking up a pair of riding pants and boots for long rides.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:16 PM

It's image and a false sense of it won't happen to me. There is a strong feeling in some circles that only sport bikers crash - "They're young and crazy, always speeding!" The problem is that a lot of accidents don't have anything to do with what bike you ride. The left-turning car, gravel in a corner, deer crossing the road, riding drunk...

Risk is likelihood and consequences. Wear the gear so the consequences are lower, and the risk is lower. Ride smart and defensively and you'll make the likelihood lower too... then you look at the risk and say is it low enough for me? well... I figure for the advantages of riding, the risk is acceptable.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:01 PM

Dont be a gixxer geek, the people in the pics would be alot better off with a jacket gloves and good jeans. And a motorcycle is a motorcycle, i dont understand why people that ride cruisers or harleys think they cant get road rash. Asphault dont care what kind of bike you are on. i wear my gear all the time, i was at cell phne place yesterday paying my bill and 2 teenage punks in there laughing at me cause i had jacket on and it hot outside. I walked out thinking they have know idea.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:25 PM
Siggy Maker & All Round Good Guy

gears expensive . When i do buy some im gonna get the best.

i could cover that blonde in some nice "gear".

Old 04-10-2009, 10:30 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Cool

So here's my question, if I ride without gear does that make me less of an enthusiast?
No; it makes you a squid.

Edit: Just yesterday I was talking to a tow truck driver named Lee. He told me a story about how several years ago he was run off the road by a drunk driver coming down from Sturgis. He hit his head against a rock, consequently causing severe brain damage. He explained how he had to re-learn how to walk, talk, and basic motor skills. Since then he's developed several other complications as a result of his injuries. I asked him if he had a helmet on at the time of the accident, his reply was "no". He considers himself a very lucky fellow, and wears a helmet all the time now, even though he rides an HD.

Last edited by Incognito; 04-10-2009 at 10:39 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:46 AM

I wouldn't say I'm part of the ATTGAT crowd by any means, but I think riding without a helmet is about the stupidest thing you can do short of throwing yourself into a wood chipper. I visited some extended fam in the Midwest this summer, and they apparently don't have helmet laws in KS. I saw countless people riding around without helmets, including 2 family members. Didn't even both trying to talk sense into them.

For me - helmet always, leather jacket is almost always, gloves usually, riding shoes occasionally. Always jeans and closed toed shoes though. I've seen some people in cutoffs or board shorts and either shirtless or in a small tshirts, and just wondered what would happen if a car pulls out from a side street and they can't stop in time.

I agree w/ Hangfire. You can be a completely dedicated enthusiast, but still be an idiot. You can know everything about the bike, maybe even be one of the best riders out there, and still be an idiot. Usually the people that really take it seriously understand the risks though, and wear the gear. But it's not a total writeoff.

Quick Reply: Gear vs. no gear