Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Technique , Crashing And Books

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 09:37 AM
Friend and Hero ...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Technique , Crashing And Books

In light of so many crashes recently, including my own. I just want to make a suggestion to everyone that has either already went down are aware of the fact. Anyone can go down any time to take just a little bit of time and take the advanced riders course, which I already did several years ago and or also picked up one of the many books that are on the market that covers advanced riders issues I personally just finished last night Sport Riding Techniques by Nick Ienatsch and do believe the book would be well worth reading if you haven't. It offers several exercises to help commit proper riding technique to memory muscle and I do believe this will help. A lot of us with some issues. It cannot resolve the careless acts or reckless behavior, but it can help you become a better technical rider

Old 09-22-2007, 10:11 AM
Default RE: Technique , Crashing And Books

Education is a wonderful thing. I've heard that one suggested a few times now, is it less track oriented then most of the other literature out there ? My local bookstore has lots of sportbike books and i've read 2 of them. A lot of it was track oriented though, which is ok, but i haven't hit the track yet.. Would love to read about street riding instead, although it's probably very similar...

Old 09-22-2007, 12:13 PM

the amount of crashes this week has been disturbing. at least everyone's in one piece.

It makes me think though. If someone who is a member of these forums got killed, and he didn't have another CBR buddy in these forums to tell us what happened, would we even know?

Seriously, how many members of this forum have been killed in accidents? I bet the number is a lot higher than the names we already know.

From the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration:

"Since1980 motorcycle ownership among riders aged 40 and over has increased dramatically, from 15.1 percent in 1980 to 43.7 percent in 1998. The mean engine displacement of the motorcycles involved in fatal crashes has also increased, from an average engine size of 769cc in 1990, to 959cc in 2001, an increase of 24.7 percent. This combination of older riders on higher-powered motorcycles is partially responsible for a steady increase in motorcycle deaths from the late 1990s until 2004.

Half of motorcycle fatalities in single vehicle crashes relate to problems negotiating a curve prior to a crash—almost 60 percent of motorcyclist fatalities in single vehicle crashes occur at night."

the day you're not afraidof your motorcycle and what it can do to you is the day you should sell it IMO

Think the MSF should be a requirement

Old 09-22-2007, 02:45 PM
Friend and Hero ...

As far as the book goes, I'd say it's about a 60/40% split. But most all of it is useful for street use in my opinion. And I would say that we need a buddy system or something around here for long-time regulars someway to just check-in whether you want to post or not. Don't have a clue on how to do something like that with it affecting someone's privacy. I'm a firm believer in everyone's right to anonymity, but you're absolutely right. We have no way of knowing what happens to someone when they just quit participating here. Would like to hear some input on the whole check-in thing, good bad or indifferent

Old 09-22-2007, 09:21 PM
Retired Moderator

Seriously, how many members of this forum have been killed in accidents?
Most recently we lost CBR1000MARINE and it was a real heart breaker, he was a good brother. We are all a family. Thanks for posting this Corp...we should all make it a habit to continue our education in riding, be it literature, advanced riding courses,or eventrack days. We're only talking about our life's here. You should never stop learning...the day you think you have it figured out may be your last.

Old 09-22-2007, 09:33 PM

ss954rr... every brother downed is a loss for our community. [X(]

Old 09-22-2007, 10:20 PM
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: sixhundredrr

ss954rr... every brother downed is a loss for our community. [X(]
We lost him just before we lost Marine...again, it was a heart breaker! Hey guys and gals, try to consider those who love you before you put your *** on the seat to go for a ride. There is too much to live for, andreckless riding may have us mourning your loss...and we are the least important people in your circle,but we care. Sixhunny makes a great point..."every brother downed is a loss for our community. [X(]"

Old 09-23-2007, 12:39 AM

Hard...I agree completely! After my fiasco with aftermarket (Carbonfiberworks.com) parts for my moto, I realized from this Forum that any money should be spent first on gear and MSF courses. I've promised myself Akrapovick exhaust after I get sliders and take the advanced MSF course(s). I've amassed a small library, will buy/read the book you've recommended, and could use some track days too. Since CBR-ing is new to me, I don't have any bad habits to break and agree that muscle memory can save your *** when you're in the ****, if that memory is ofgood habits, developed through training and "What if?" scenarios. If I do bite it, I want to be able to say I did everything humanly possible to avoid, or mitigate it. Except quit CBR-ing, thatI won't stop, cuz I can't stop. Hope you andyour wife (She's nice.) arehealing well. G.
Knowledge is power.

Old 09-23-2007, 02:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried watching almost every single motorcycle crash vid I can find online. Most of them are caused by rider error...but quite a few are by others.

Old 09-23-2007, 04:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started riding back in 1968, rode my bike home from the shop, total rider training was 10 minutes on a friends bike, which I fell off, luckily on soft grass. Even if I wanted to do rider training, it did not exist then.
I have been very lucky, (had a couple of major stacks) over the years, with lots of near misses as well. Learning to ride is one thing, its very important, But learning to ride within your limits is another important point.
I ride at the back of the pack these days, I enjoy the riding experience at a mild pace, getting there & home is priority 1. I have lost a lot of riding buddies over the years, I've also worked in hospitals & rehab centers and have seen what can happen to those that where fortunate enough to survive bikes accidents, although "fortunate" is pretty objective, when quality of life is added, I get pissed off when I read statistics or news items about another bike accident in the papers, because as has been said, they are family. When people I know express a desire to get a bike, I always tell them, get the gear, do the training & yes be aware that your going to come off. Its that simple, we are all going to have an accident at some point, sure as that. All the preparation, gear & rider training is not going to prevent it. How bad it will be can be summed up in a sentence, "Slow the F**k down".