Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

streetbike slang and hand signs..

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 05:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default streetbike slang and hand signs..

any streetbike slang and hand signs out there? all im hip too is the low peace sign to passers.

Old 05-30-2006, 05:55 AM
Default RE: streetbike slang and hand signs..

* If you get the "talking" hand gesture (thumb and fingers yapping) from another biker, that means your turn signal is left on.
* Pat on the helmet is cop up ahead.
* Two fingers down is giving a wave.
* low five is returning a wave.
* One finger pointing down is you telling a Mr. Harley and Mr. Davidson rider that pieces just fell off his/her bike.
* Helmet on the ground on left side of the bike means "need help" or "broke down".

Those are all the ones I know of

Old 05-30-2006, 01:03 PM

All i ever see or do is the wave and the pat the head for cop. Although i dont do anything different for giving or returning the wave. i Always do either a one or two finger down wave.

J

Old 05-30-2006, 03:07 PM

Sticking your leg out to point out possible road debris to following bikes.
Left hand palm facing down..with an up down motion (hard to describe..like patting a dog on the head maybe) means slow down somthin is up ahead

middle finger fully extended with the back of hand pointed out...

Old 05-30-2006, 05:42 PM

ORIGINAL: GRUNT_Jarksbro
middle finger fully extended with the back of hand pointed out...
[sm=guilty.gif] ....done that many times to stupid drivers, lol.

Old 05-30-2006, 07:54 PM

I've seen people use the pat on the head for other reasons too like your high beams are on.

Old 05-31-2006, 04:36 PM

ORIGINAL: dwhite645
* One finger pointing down is you telling a Mr. Harley and Mr. Davidson rider that pieces just fell off his/her bike.
LMAO

Old 06-01-2006, 03:32 AM

ORIGINAL: GRUNT_Jarksbro
Left hand palm facing down..with an up down motion (hard to describe..like patting a dog on the head maybe) means slow down somthin is up ahead
Arizona State Police was kind enough to use this one on my brother and I as we aproched him doing 15 over while returning to Phoenix from Payson. I'm glad that's all he did, 'cause I don't really need a ticket.

Old 06-01-2006, 03:51 AM

Well heres what I got.

Patting a dog on the head gesture = slow down
hand down and to the left = waving
Pointing down at the ground next to you = switching sides of a lane or telling other bikers there is debree in the road
Hanging hand down and back while singing a number 5 and closing the fist for 0 = 5-0 or Cop
Pointing at the blinker of someone elses bike= blinker is still on
putting your hand out flat as if you are checkin to see if you are shaking, and raisin the fingers or lowering them=someone is doing a wheelie or endo. or you should do one of the above. Mostly signed towards stunters!!!

When someone says Twisties=Curves
5-0=Cop. as i said before

I cant think of anymore right now. Most things are comin sense.

Old 06-01-2006, 02:20 PM

I plagurized this liberally from other forums and thought it had some really good ideas. Makes a good templete to say the least.
It also includes basic rules for riding in a group

By no means will this be an exhaustive list, so feel free to add anything that I might have missed. These seem like common sense, but everyone has been a rookie and someone has to tell you.

1. When you change lanes, go to the far side of the lane so someone else can also change lanes. Example: If you are on the left side of the right lane, when you move to the left lane, go all the way over to the left side of the lane.

2. When coming to a turn on a regular road, (for a twistie road see rule 5) drop into a single file line. You should communicate either before the ride or during the ride with the bike beside you about who is going to go first and who will drop in behind.

3. Learn the hand signals. The basic ones that we use are:
A. Hand tapping top of helmet: There's a cop.
B. Pointing to the ground with hand or foot: There's something in the road on that side.
C. Left arm extended and bent 90 degrees with closed fist: We are about to make a final turn in and stop
D. Left Arm extended and bent 90 degrees with open hand: Right turn.
E. Left arm straight out: Left turn
F. Left arm extended out and slightly waving up and down with open hand: slow down or possible stop.
G. Someone flashing all five fingers of one hand at you: you forgot to turn off your blinker.
H. One leg extended to side of bike: That person is about to change lanes in that direction. (I personally prefer and use blinkers, but you need to know this one.)
I. Pointing to the gas tank: I need gas.
J. Pointing to your stomach: I need food.

4. It is not uncool to use your blinkers to change lanes. The first night I rode with a large group, everyone was sticking out their legs and changing lanes. I'm thinking we're cruising between 80 and 140mph so I'm just going to have to look like a dork and use my blinkers just so there is no mistake about what I'm about to do because the last thing I wanted was to get ran over. As soon as I started using my blinkers, half the people in the group did also.

5. When you're on a twistie rode with a group, ride in a single file line and DO NOT ride above you're skill level! I have ridden with many different groups and they always wait at the end of the rode for everyone and usually do a head count to make sure no one went down. Take it easy, we will wait for you, rather than wait for you then bury you.

6. Don't go flying by someone at high speed in the same lane as they are in unless you know them and they have told you that it is ok. Please go by in a different lane.

7. If you want to stunt, go out front and every one try to pick one or two lanes to stunt in. Most experienced stunters do this, this is for the inexperienced. It is much better to get in front before you do a wheelie, etc. Riding up through a pack on your rear wheel is not the safest thing in the world.

8. When you first ride with a large group or an unfamiliar group, I suggest you stay in back and on whatever side that has an escape route. You need to be thinking what will I do if someone in front of me goes down. It does happen!

9. When the group puts the hammer down and it comes time for you to decelerate, if you don't brake and just let off the throttle, make sure that you tap your brake a couple of times so that the bikes behind you will know your slowing down.

10. Wear protective gear. At the least you should have a jacket, helmet, gloves, and ankle boots.

11. Make sure your bike is registered and you have a valid license, etc..

12. Be gassed up when we meet.

13. Emergency cards with all of your information and Emergency Contact info. Trust me on this one. It would have helped when Eddie passed, rather then me, Rob, Brett and Freddie telling the cops we didn't know who to call, etc.

14. Oc

Quick Reply: streetbike slang and hand signs..