Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Speeding ticket question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 09:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speeding ticket question.

How many mph over the speed limit can you go before you get pulled over? I wonder if it is different from area to area and different between cars and bikes?

Old 07-03-2006, 09:57 AM
Default RE: Speeding ticket question.

Definately varies from area to area, but here in PA you are given atleast 5mph variation, usually 10 on the highway. But then again, only state troopers can use radar

Old 07-03-2006, 11:01 AM

ORIGINAL: Matthew52303
How many mph over the speed limit can you go before you get pulled over? I wonder if it is different from area to area and different between cars and bikes?
Pretty silly question but I'll give my $0.02 anyways:

There are too many variables involved with getting stopped that no one has the answer to this question. Does the cop like bikes and bikers? Does he like metric bikes or HD's? What were the road and traffic conditions? Did he get into a fight with his wife that morning on the way out the door and would like nothing better than to give out tickets all day long? Can't you see that there is no definite answer for how fast you can ride/drive without getting popped?

However (technically speaking) you can get stopped if you're ONE mph over the limit. Hey, you weren't obeying the limit... but that's obviously not realistic. My philosophy for highway travelling is NINE you're fine, TEN you're mine. As in 9 mph over and I haven't been stopped one time. Anything over that and cops will pay a little more attention to you if you know what I mean!

Old 07-03-2006, 11:42 AM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What jjkukla says. I've been ticketed at 8 over and been let go at 15 over. For a while we had a couple HP's that were giving tickets at 2 over. Just depends on the LEO, how you're riding, what traffic around you is like.

Old 07-03-2006, 07:18 PM

Most likely keep up with traffic if they are going 20-25 over, as they do sometimes in my area on the freeway, the cops will not pull you over. Now if traffic is going 5-10 over and you're swerving in and out of cars.... well..... you're going to have a date with a judge.

About two nights ago I pulled out from work (I work at a credit union and a few of the Menomonee Falls cops are members here) and the speed limit is 30. Well I was quickly going 45 through the middle of town after just pulling out because there was a serious storm coming and I had a 25minute ride home. I look down the road and sure enough a beautiful grey car with a light bar on top. So I let the engine slow me down and after he passes and I see he's not pulling a U-turn I hit the throttle hard and find myself going 53 when not 10 seconds later I see another cop sitting on the side of the road. I think surely this guys going to pull out and get me. I watch and he just stays there.

Not bad 53 in a 30 through the middle of town and no ticket! They either didn't care or knew there was some serious storm action coming in and felt bad for me. So that being said just make sure you only speed through Menomonee Falls Wi when there is a big storm coming and you'll be ok! =)

Mike

ps riding with an extreme cross wind (30+mph) with nothing but open area on either side of you is SCARY.