Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

So I drove an STI today

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 08:19 PM
October 2011 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I drove an STI today

On Friday my buddy bought an used 05 Subaru STI. As for performance upgrades it fairly stock with a aftermarket downpipe and exhaust. It does have after market rims, gauges, coil overs and a bunch of other goodies but I have to admit I was very impressed. When it gets into boost that thing really moves and throws you back in the seat. The ride was really rough but I think that was mainly due to the coil overs on it but overall I was very impressed with it. Still no match for the RR but still a very nice car. Always wanted to drive one to see what they are like so glad I was able to.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:28 PM

i worked at a subaru dealership for almost a year, i know how ya feel man haha and ye the rough ride is because it has race suspension. there is also some goodies your friend may or may not no. there is an intercooler spray to keep that baby cold, switch located on the left side where all the others are, and bottle located in the trunk on top the wheel. ask him and see if hes aware of this cuz it helps his boost

Old 11-06-2011, 10:57 PM
October 2011 ROTM

He is aware of it but doesn't know if it is hooked up. I said only one way to find out lol. Since you worked there Cult can you tell me what manually adjusting the center diff does.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:07 AM

it should already be hooked up, tell him to put cold water in it, turn the car on and have someone watch the engine and see if it sprays when he pushes it lol. and for your question i never ended up going to school for them thats why i couldnt stay for long but from my knowledge subaru is known for AWD and off roading right, so i think it has something to do with what setting you are driving on. for example snow, gravel, sand ect.. mitsubishi EVO has something like it too. plus i was told by my supervisor at the time thats better for your transmission to lock the diff when reversing so it doesnt bind up. not sure if its true or not

Last edited by TheCult; 11-07-2011 at 12:20 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:18 AM

it adjusts the ratio of the amount of power the awd system sends to the front and back wheels.

Old 11-07-2011, 02:15 PM
October 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by TheCult
it should already be hooked up, tell him to put cold water in it, turn the car on and have someone watch the engine and see if it sprays when he pushes it lol.
He said when you press the button no water comes out. But like I said I didn't try it or anything. Next time he comes over I will make sure to try it.

and for your question i never ended up going to school for them thats why i couldnt stay for long but from my knowledge subaru is known for AWD and off roading right, so i think it has something to do with what setting you are driving on. for example snow, gravel, sand ect.. mitsubishi EVO has something like it too. plus i was told by my supervisor at the time thats better for your transmission to lock the diff when reversing so it doesnt bind up. not sure if its true or not
Originally Posted by nickp123
it adjusts the ratio of the amount of power the awd system sends to the front and back wheels.
I know its for adjusting the ratio of power that goes to each diff but it is not all that clear. There is a green box and some orange arrows so that doesn't tell me much I will have him read up on it. I just kept it in auto mode since I didn't want to break his new toy.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:38 PM

im pretty sure its for terrain settings, not 100% what each symbol means.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:51 PM

Sorry guys, you're incorrect. It doesn't transfer power.

It allows us (the driver) to determine how much slip (or none) we want the center diff to have. So one extreme is full lock. The center diff will not allow any slip - similar to an off-road truck with a locking differential. To make it easier, pretend the torque split is 50:50. Say the engine it putting out 200 lb-ft of TQ. Regardless of the road condition, 100 lb-ft will go to the front and the other 100 will go to the back.

On the other extreme, open, in the same torque split as above. If front and rear both have equal traction, the front will get 100lbs-ft and the rear will get 100lbs-ft. Now put the front on ice. All 200 lbs-ft will go to the front and they will spin in place and the rear wheels do not move.

I owned an STI for 3.5 years and miss it much. Bought it stock, built the motor, slapped a 35r on, and loved it. 431whp/395ftq.

Name:  Ant2_7.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  79.2 KB

Old 11-07-2011, 04:54 PM

i worked at a subaru dealership for almost a year, i know how ya feel man haha and ye the rough ride is because it has race suspension. there is also some goodies your friend may or may not no. there is an intercooler spray to keep that baby cold, switch located on the left side where all the others are, and bottle located in the trunk on top the wheel. ask him and see if hes aware of this cuz it helps his boost
It doesn't necessarily "help boost." It prevents heat soak on super hot days. Any other time, it's almost useless.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:56 PM

plus i was told by my supervisor at the time thats better for your transmission to lock the diff when reversing so it doesnt bind up. not sure if its true or not
You're supervisor is an idiot. You want it in OPEN whenever you're doing slow, sharp maneuvers. Example, the ONLY time I used LOCK was in the blizzard. I was able to do 80 down Rt.1 in 2 feet of snow. Blizzaks ftw.

Quick Reply: So I drove an STI today