Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Should the dealer buy it back? Can or should they?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 09:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should the dealer buy it back? Can or should they?

A buddy of mine is going through a hell of a time with a new bike he purchased. He got a new Honda sport bike about four months ago. In that time its been in the shop for over two months back and forth with electrical problems.
It will crank and run fine the first few times, and then it just dies after you turn it off, and will not restart, lights, nothing. He has been very nice about the situation up to now. Took it in last week for the recurring problem and told them as many times before that he is very unhappy with the situation and feels that if they can't decisively fix it this time, he would like them to buy it back or trade back for another bike.
He went to pick it up today and was told the problem was solved, shouldn't happen again. Being a bit skeptical he went out and cranked it first shot. Pleased, he shut it off and went inside to buy a few accessories. When he comes back out, its dead again.

So he asks for the owner of the dealership to make right and buy this thing back. To which he was told that unless Honda was going to do something, he would not.

I wasn't sure, but isn't there some lemon law that addresses these type of issues?
He is very happy with the bike when it works and just wants another like it, or to be absolutely assured that this one is fixed.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:33 PM
Default RE: Should the dealer buy it back? Can or should they?

Its not the dealership that caused the problem, sounds like something from Honda, but Honda should make it right. I dont see the dealership loosing money for something that isnt their fault

Old 07-24-2007, 09:37 PM

The dealer should definitiveley replace it. There is a lemon law but Im not shure if it applies to bikes, im almost positive it does.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:52 PM

Tell him he has a looooooonnnnnnnnggggggg wait till something gets done. Untill he get an attorny, Honda is gonna sit on their thumb and not do a dang thing.

Here's a guy that had a problem with his VFR on a forum I'm part of. Nice and long.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/i...howtopic=32295

Old 07-24-2007, 10:31 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He needs to look into the Lemon Law and ask the dealer about it. He should also get in touch with Honda's corporate office to see what they can do about it.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:43 PM

ORIGINAL: MojoWrangler

A buddy of mine is going through a hell of a time with a new bike he purchased. He got a new Honda sport bike about four months ago. In that time its been in the shop for over two months back and forth with electrical problems.

That stinks. What modeldid he buy?

Old 07-25-2007, 01:08 AM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Not sure how that kind of thing works but i know what i would do, become the worlds largest pain in there *ss. I would call every newspaper, radio, and tv station, a lot of times they love to do covers on the little guy getting screwed. I would take out a full page newspaper ad on the page right across from there summer sales event ad letting people know how horrible there customer care is. I would get friends together and picket there lot making sure everyone who pulls in know that they dont care about the customers. All i know is if someone is getting 10k of my hard earned cash and screwing me, im going to war, and theyWON'T win. Sure maybe you wont ever be able to go back, but at least you will get what you have coming to you.

Old 07-25-2007, 04:30 AM

tell him to contact the attorney general in that area and see his options..

Old 07-25-2007, 09:13 AM

He does not need an attorney. When you contact lemon law they have them for you. They basically do all the leg work. Just make sure he has all repair orders they will need them.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:20 AM
TEN

Could it have been something that happened during "assembly" at the dealership? There are quite a few things that have to be done to the bikes once they come out of the crate at the dealership before they are put on the floor. Is it possible that the "qualified bike mechanic" screwed up something electrical while putting the thing together? If so, that may make the dealership liable for damages. However, proving that it was a mechanic screw up may be kinda difficult. Honestly though, I don't work at a dealership, so I don't know how much is involved in the assembly of bikes once they arrive, but it's worth asking.

Quick Reply: Should the dealer buy it back? Can or should they?