Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

shifting, ever skip a gear???

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 08:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shifting, ever skip a gear???

Accidently, I skipped a gear (from 2nd, skipped 3rd, and went right into 4th). Then after that I did it again just to see if there wasa diff with the engine, and nothing.Still 3rd gear sometimes is so short, n-e ways, question is; is there anything wrong (mechanically) with skipping a gear up-shifting?

Old 10-13-2008, 08:34 AM
Default RE: shifting, ever skip a gear???

it doesn't hurt anything.

i'm sure everyone has at some time or another topped off 1st, gone through about half of 2nd and then shifted up to 4th or 5th simply because halfway up 2nd gear at full throttle can sometimes = 80-100 mph.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:34 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I find that a strange thing to do or want to do ... it seems more effort to have to consciously skip it than just use it to me??

Anyway my thoughts are if you keep doing this you will find a false neutral and rev the engine unecessarily ..

Sometimes when my chain gets a bit slack I find false neutrals between 2 and 3 and get quite a fright when my revs blast right round the dial ... when I retension it, problem solved ...

Jules

Old 10-13-2008, 08:40 AM

exactly, Im not an expert what so ever (only 6 months experience) but i've noticed that, sometimes u take off a light,roll on the throtle and 3rd, 4th gear is just not necessary u might shift them in but only to find out that it helps u in no way.......

ORIGINAL: nograv1

it doesn't hurt anything.

i'm sure everyone has at some time or another topped off 1st, gone through about half of 2nd and then shifted up to 4th or 5th simply because halfway up 2nd gear at full throttle can sometimes = 80-100 mph.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:42 AM
Banned

I never skip 2nd on the way up, but other gears all the time. I think if it is done quickly, where the engine doesn't lose revs, it is OK. I think I read something to that effect in a magazine recently too, it also said, if you hear a clunk then you are too slow with your hands and feet.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:54 AM

Whereas I dont see the need to skip gears on my bike, its no problem provided you dont keep finding false neutrals ... all I can say is that I have never felt the need to conscioulsy skip gears going up the box, its so effortless and seamless going up through the box, a complete joy, that consciously skipping would kinda spoil things for me ... maybe your roads over the pond make more sense of this ...Im lost ..lol

Jules

Old 10-13-2008, 09:01 AM

I never really skip going up, maybe on a slight occasion ill skip 5th.... but almost all the time when im blip shifting down coming to a stop i skip 5th and go straight to 4th to help start slowing down

Old 10-13-2008, 09:07 AM
Banned

maybe your roads over the pond make more sense of this
Considering most of the time in town we are travelling under 50 MPH, easily attainable in first gear, getting to 50 MPH is all the fun there is to be had. So I'll accelerate hard to somewaht legall or illegal speeds then upshift a few times to cruise. I guess I could ride around in 1st gear at 11,000 rpm everywhere, but that seems a little nutty even for me.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:14 AM

ORIGINAL: fishfryer527

Considering most of the time in town we are travelling under 50 MPH, easily attainable in first gear, getting to 50 MPH is all the fun there is to be had. So I'll accelerate hard to somewaht legall or illegal speeds then upshift a few times to cruise. I guess I could ride around in 1st gear at 11,000 rpm everywhere, but that seems a little nutty even for me.
I see, I ride on mostly nice open and wide country roads where I can bowl along at 60 -70 mph legally and safely ... of course I break these speed limits too and will often zoom upto 90-100mph (where its safe) to do so but I just enjoy the acceleration through all of my gears, riding the power and torque off them if you like and I feel the ratios are just perfect for zipping up to these speeds without missing any of them out :-)

In town I suppose it could make more sense but I tend to ride so much more gently anyway that I just go up from 1st to 6th in the usual manner without any hard acceleration in 1st gear ..

Jules

Old 10-13-2008, 09:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, many times I'll take off the line to put some distance between me and the pack...Depending on the speed I'll hit the first 2 gears and maybe skipping the remainder, but I think usually I hit them all.

Quick Reply: shifting, ever skip a gear???