Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Sell the bike to help pay for a car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 04:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nobody's pointed it out yet, but you're only 22. Live a little with that money you're going to get. If the Saturn is in good shape mechanically, put another 20k on it while saving up some cash.

When I was 21, I wanted the brand new Tacoma's that came out. Had one all planned out, talked to the dealers, I was making good money at the time, etc.

Then I looked at someone wrong and two weeks later I didn't have that great job anymore.

Keep in mind, you might get tired of commuting back and forth every couple weeks and living in hotels/motels. Then you might be looking for another job, but not as much money and then you'll have all that debt in a new car to worry about.

Took me another 7 years, but I got my brand new Tacoma, which is completely paid off now, and I'm a much happier person now than I would have been if I'd bought that truck and then lost my job.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:23 PM

buy some high profile wheels for your saturn (ie ~stock) ride quality will improve immensely. drive it through summer and save up in a credit union with direct deposit. then get a loan through them for your STI, have you budgeted full coverage insurance + payments + maintenance on an STI yet? Like an STI with exhaust wont drone like hell on the freeway...

I just graduated and started working a month ago. It is so hard to resist the new car/bike(truck) bug, but I am saving up for a house, before the lease is up and i move out of my parents. 22 also.

use a rubber everytime = no wife. just tell yourself you wont get married until your thirties...

Old 05-04-2011, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by tucsondude
use a rubber everytime = no wife. just tell yourself you wont get married until your thirties...
Whatever you say man - I have been with my wife since I was 23 and have had a great 7 years. Fast Cars, Fast Boats, Fast Toys, Tons of partying and a Ton of great memories with a hot woman at my side. Nobody in the world would say it was time poorly spent.

OP:

If I was you - I would just run the Saturn for a while.

Then if you really want the Sti and are comfortable in your job/situation then get it in 6 months time and enjoy it on the weekends or when the weather is nice.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:19 PM
August 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by redzintimidator
The gf is asian so the midget will be half asian..lol
I am pure asian so your .5 baby will be 4'11" like me. lol

Old 05-05-2011, 02:08 PM

I went through a somewhat similar experience when I graduated. Worked a full time retail job(while I looked for a more "career" oriented job), lived at home, had my old bike and a car that was in need of a few thousand in repairs/maintenance. I decided I had the means to buy a new (used) car and was pretty set on an STI. After a few months of shopping around I ended up buying a WRX. It saved me about $7k from the STI's I was looking at and only had 12,000 miles! The WRX easily blew my old car out of the water in every aspect and absolutely kills it in the winter when the snow hits. We don't get a ton of snow here, but local snow removal blows so the AWD gets put to good use (and some good hooning in unplowed parking lots ).

If you haven't yet, go test drive some, a WRX might be a way to get a car you want and save yourself from needing to sell the bike. Plus, the 09+'s are actually a tiny bit quicker than the STI's!

Old 05-13-2011, 12:15 AM
Registered Users

id rather keep my beater ford exploder and be able to ride my 1000rr

Old 05-13-2011, 02:47 PM

If the car has been maintained and hasnt given you much trouble, it should last for a long while longer. Throw some stock springs/wheels/tires on if you are wanting comfort...you should be able to make some cash back off the removed parts as well. If you do sell the car, go ahead and return it to stock before selling. Your modded car will only appeal to a small population but your car stock will bring more money and will appeal to more people. You can usually make some decent money back on parts/audio/etc too!