Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Seedy Sounding Deal...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 06:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seedy Sounding Deal...

I am currently selling my F2, and I get this guy emailing me. Pretty sketchy sounding, infact, it sounds like an out right scam. Why the hell would he not buya bike in the UK then?

Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 03:42:47 -0700
Subject: RE: Motorcycle: 1991 Honda CBR600F2
To:

Good Day , Thanks for the mail.I am located in Manchester(Uk) and really appreciate your email it seems honest and trustworthy. I will like to do business with an honest and trustfull person which i believe i am dealing with right person by now.i want you to consider it sold to me already. Also I will offer you {$3,200}.As for the shipping,i have a well organise shipping agent that will handle the shipment on my bahalf.I want you to give me some days to arrange on how the payment will get to you. Moreso A Cheque will be send to you which will carry the cost price and the shipping cost.The total amount that will be on the Cheque is {$6,000} and you will remove your cost price which is {$3,200}.you will send the remaining balance to the shipping company via western union money transfer for the shippment so that shipper will come for the pick-up and prepare all the necessary document and paper work for the shipment with out any delay.Hope everything is clear I will be giving $100 for your (efforts and westernunion fees) I'll be very grateful if really you can do everything the same day you recieve the check for a faster transaction and bcos I am really eager to see it.If you're okay with this arrangement kindly get back to me.With your full details such as :-Your full name : ........................Your full address : ..................Your contact phone number : ........ #Hope to hear from you asap.Regards

[blockquote]
----------------------------------------------
Hey John,

What do you want to know about it? Its a great motorcycle. Asking price is 3200, that is non-negotiable. The bike was pulled out of storage the other day and is now in my back shed. It fired up within 5 seconds and runs VERY VERY strong & good. You couldn't ask for a more reliable bike for the price really. You are more then welcome to come look at it.

Greg
> Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 05:57:45 -0700
> From:
> Subject: Motorcycle: 1991 Honda CBR600F2
> To:>
> Hello,
> my name is John Cole. I saw your advert online and am very much interested in your Motorcycle for sale. i will like to know more about it and the final asking price of purchase.I will like to buy it so i am looking forward to your reply on my request.
> Thanks.
> John
[/blockquote]

Old 04-14-2008, 07:31 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Seedy Sounding Deal...

That's a VERY common scam bro. DO NOT reply to this guy.

Somebody tried that on me one time when I was trying to buy a bike, and a I guy I work with actually fell for this one once. Dude was out 3,000. This is the 5th or 6th times I've seen this now.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:33 AM

he wants your info so he can scam the ***** out from under you..

keep playing with this guy if you want to waste his time, i do it regularly.. ask him to call you and send a check. i always give them the wrong name. .. Anyone who cannot spell does not have a "shipping agent"

Anyone who doesnt want to do paypal and cash "IN PERSON" is not worth your time.. i hope you really didnt have trouble sniffing this one out..

Old 04-14-2008, 07:42 AM

Nah. I didn't have trouble sniffing it out, I just thought it was mildly amusing. I have never recieved one of these scams. Mainly because I don't try to sell stuff on the net very often. I posted it up on a few classifieds.

How does the scam work? They cancel transfer after bike is shipped or something weird?

Old 04-14-2008, 07:49 AM

Here's a similiar situation...but in this case, the scamee scamed the scammer. Basically the escrow company is fake.

http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/

Old 04-14-2008, 07:54 AM
Banned

No, it's not about the bike...in fact, the bike is never even moved in this process.

He sends you a check for $6000 as promised. You deposit that check, and while you are waiting for it to clear, you do an instant wire of $2800 on good faith. So now, technically, he has paid you the $3200 you have asked for...and then the check bounces. Since you used Western Union to send him the money, it was instant and you can't trace the money to him. Also, the check was fake all along. He's up $2800, and you'll never figure out who he is. The bike is irrelevent.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:13 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: woo545

Here's a similiar situation...but in this case, the scamee scamed the scammer. Basically the escrow company is fake.

Wow dude...I just read that whole thing and that was hilarious.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:49 AM

ORIGINAL: shoortbuss

ORIGINAL: woo545

Wow dude...I just read that whole thing and that was hilarious.
+1 thats great

Old 04-14-2008, 08:56 AM

Anything via Western Union money order is junk. Had someone do that when I was selling my car. It's an outright scam.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:48 PM

TOTAL SCAM every time i list something on craigs list i get at least 8 to 10 e-mails very similar to this.

Quick Reply: Seedy Sounding Deal...