Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Seattle, Washington Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 05:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seattle, Washington Thoughts

I'll be graduating from UW-Madison in May, and I've been offered a job as an engineer at the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard. I was wondering if any of you lived in the Seattle area and what you think of it (bar scene, etc). Also, I was wondering how many people lived in the area, because if I relocated from Wisconsin I would need some new riding friends (cause riding alone gets old after awhile).

Old 11-23-2008, 06:17 PM
Default RE: Seattle, Washington Thoughts

One engineering student to another, what kind of money are they offering you? If you dont mind my asking.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:50 PM
RCR

I lived in Tacoma for 1 year back in 87 so I couldn't tell ya about the scene but I do know the weather sucks bad. Alot of rain, overcast, gloomy weather all year long. Very depressing in my book. I have lived in the country (Idaho) with 4 seasons, Tacoma and California which are exact opposites of each other. Tacoma/Seattle would be the last place to go for me but if the money is right what ya going to do?When I retire it will be for the 4 seasons.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:54 AM

ORIGINAL: RCR

I lived in Tacoma for 1 year back in 87 so I couldn't tell ya about the scene but I do know the weather sucks bad. Alot of rain, overcast, gloomy weather all year long. Very depressing in my book. I have lived in the country (Idaho) with 4 seasons, Tacoma and California which are exact opposites of each other. Tacoma/Seattle would be the last place to go for me but if the money is right what ya going to do?When I retire it will be for the 4 seasons.
You're completely inaccurate. It only rains in the rainy season. Which starts in October and runs until June-ish. Give or take a few months. Its NOT over cast everyday. Just some.

Seattle/Tacoma both have pretty good bar seens, but if you're at the shipyard, you'll be in Bremerton. That's a ferry ride from Seattle, and about 45 minutes from Tacoma. They do NOT have a good bar seen in Bremerton. Military town for sure. Commuting there is easy.

And people here ride bikes in the rain. Often.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:42 PM

I just moved from there. I could see PSNS from my living room window! Depends on what your into. Seattle is a little over an hourse drive on I-5, which is the biggest, cop-infested, traffic jammed POS EVER! Take the ferry. The Bremerton/Seattle ferry only takes an hour and drops you off smack down town, a quick walk to anywhere. Some good clubs and music venues in Seattle. PSNS is in Bremerton, Bremerton is a Navy town, so theres some OK spots and some not so nice. I don't think theres really a "hood" in the town, but also no nice spots. I'd look into living in the Manette area, its all established, cozy, historic area, really nice, not too much more expensive, but all nice neighborhoods and people, no boom boom music up and down the street at two in the morning and its maybe 5min from PSNS. Lots of state parks if you like camping, hiking, fishing, good hunting in the area also. From PSNS you can bear/deer, varmint, duck, goose hunt within an hour. Great mountain roads and such, you can get lost for days in some beautiful mountains year-round. Get rain gear! They aren't joking when they say it rains allot up there. Not this pissing down hard rain, but a gentle, grey, gloomy drizzle for 9 months. Right about the time your ready to stick your head in the oven, a nice day will come along and you remember how nice it is there, then the rain starts up again. Summers are bar-none the best of anywhere I have ever lived. 70- degrees, clear bright blue skies and snow-capped mountains all summer. Theres endless good riding in the area. The 101/106 loop is the most popular, but so is mount Rainier, Mount St. Hellens, and Hurricane ridge, all totally kick-*** rides right in your back yard. Or, head out to ocean shores, another great ride. YouCAN ride year round up there, with rain gear. I did it. Maybe for 2-3 days you might get some snow that screws up the whole town, but thats only every other year or so. It never really gets hot there and it doesn't really get cold, just cool and wet....year 'round. Theres a pretty big forum for those parts, calledpnwriders.com, allot of young folks and silly **** on the forum, but theres tons of guys on there. They meet up every tuesday at legend harley,all bikes welcome, for a meet and greet, and a ride, they also do allot of social barbeques or go out to eat and then a quick ride. I've met a few really cool guys through there.CBR forums own CBRF is a cool guy, hes on the skirts of Seattle, look him up when you get there. All in all, I miss allot about the place. For bike shops, MaxRPM is the only real performance/race shop in town, and they're right on 6th street right outside the gate from PSNS, for dealers, theres Cliffs (suzuki, kawasaki, KTM) and they suck, high prices and they're ********, Brothers is where I bought 4 of my bikes from,Dan is good to go, never done me wrong, but some folks don't like them, really like any dealer, some like em others don't. Theres a super motorsports store on the way to Seattle, in Renton I believe, something stupid like 3 stories of every manufacturer represented and tons of gear. Anyway, like I said, I moved from there like 4 weeks ago, so PM me if you have any specific questions or anything, whether it be places to live or what to do or where to ride, I'll help you out best I can.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:06 PM

ORIGINAL: Shocktroop

I just moved from there. I could see PSNS from my living room window! Depends on what your into. Seattle is a little over an hourse drive on I-5, which is the biggest, cop-infested, traffic jammed POS EVER! Take the ferry. The Bremerton/Seattle ferry only takes an hour and drops you off smack down town, a quick walk to anywhere. Some good clubs and music venues in Seattle. PSNS is in Bremerton, Bremerton is a Navy town, so theres some OK spots and some not so nice. I don't think theres really a "hood" in the town, but also no nice spots. I'd look into living in the Manette area, its all established, cozy, historic area, really nice, not too much more expensive, but all nice neighborhoods and people, no boom boom music up and down the street at two in the morning and its maybe 5min from PSNS. Lots of state parks if you like camping, hiking, fishing, good hunting in the area also. From PSNS you can bear/deer, varmint, duck, goose hunt within an hour. Great mountain roads and such, you can get lost for days in some beautiful mountains year-round. Get rain gear! They aren't joking when they say it rains allot up there. Not this pissing down hard rain, but a gentle, grey, gloomy drizzle for 9 months. Right about the time your ready to stick your head in the oven, a nice day will come along and you remember how nice it is there, then the rain starts up again. Summers are bar-none the best of anywhere I have ever lived. 70- degrees, clear bright blue skies and snow-capped mountains all summer. Theres endless good riding in the area. The 101/106 loop is the most popular, but so is mount Rainier, Mount St. Hellens, and Hurricane ridge, all totally kick-*** rides right in your back yard. Or, head out to ocean shores, another great ride. YouCAN ride year round up there, with rain gear. I did it. Maybe for 2-3 days you might get some snow that screws up the whole town, but thats only every other year or so. It never really gets hot there and it doesn't really get cold, just cool and wet....year 'round. Theres a pretty big forum for those parts, calledpnwriders.com, allot of young folks and silly **** on the forum, but theres tons of guys on there. They meet up every tuesday at legend harley,all bikes welcome, for a meet and greet, and a ride, they also do allot of social barbeques or go out to eat and then a quick ride. I've met a few really cool guys through there.CBR forums own CBRF is a cool guy, hes on the skirts of Seattle, look him up when you get there. All in all, I miss allot about the place. For bike shops, MaxRPM is the only real performance/race shop in town, and they're right on 6th street right outside the gate from PSNS, for dealers, theres Cliffs (suzuki, kawasaki, KTM) and they suck, high prices and they're ********, Brothers is where I bought 4 of my bikes from,Dan is good to go, never done me wrong, but some folks don't like them, really like any dealer, some like em others don't. Theres a super motorsports store on the way to Seattle, in Renton I believe, something stupid like 3 stories of every manufacturer represented and tons of gear. Anyway, like I said, I moved from there like 4 weeks ago, so PM me if you have any specific questions or anything, whether it be places to live or what to do or where to ride, I'll help you out best I can.
****. I think this wall of text is too big for me to climb.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:38 PM

ORIGINAL: Shocktroop

rain.... bikeshops.... bremerton sucks.... more stuff....
PNWRiders.com is entertaining. They do get together a lot. The place in Renton is Renton Motorcycle Center. 6 lines I believe, an indoor dirt track, and dyno.

I have some friends that live in East Bremerton. The nicer part of town. I am up there at least 2 weekends a month. I ride from University Place up there, ~45 minutes. Rain, shine or snow. Get some wet weather gear if you plan on riding. With the right tires, its no big deal.

In the end, I wouldn't live anywhere else. I have traveled extensively and I choose to stay here. Even if Skeletor is our governor.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:15 PM

Thanks Shock, a lot of really good info. It helps to know that I'll still be ok to ride and the area shouldn't suck too bad.