Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

School me on wireless prepaid phones

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 10:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default School me on wireless prepaid phones

I've always had a cell phone that was paid for by the company I worked for so I know little about prepaid or regular phones. Several people my wife and I know buythe prepaid ones as they either damage or lose them on a regular basis and this is a lot cheaper for them. In looking at some like the Tracfone it looks like prepaid could be a better deal than regular carriers.

For example, some of the Tracfone phones have doubling minutes which means that a 200 minute card that I pay $40 for becomes a 400 minute card. ($.10 a minute) this seems like a really good deal considering no contract and the phone is only $50.

Can those who have prepaid phones let me know what the pitfalls are concerning a prepaid phone? Also please share your experiences with various carriers. This phone would be for my wife as she is involved with Tupperware and this would be a convenient way for her to keep in touch while she is out doing her thing. (stay at home mom otherwise.)

Thanks

Old 05-12-2008, 11:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: School me on wireless prepaid phones

Pitfalls? ****ty phones and coverage. You can find good deals, you just have to look for them. If you can get in on the SERO (Sprint Employee Referall Offer) you can get a killer deal with them. You can always try, here, but IDK if it still works or not. Worked for me.

IDK much about other carriers, I have always had sprint. However, I did have an AT&T Go phone years ago, and it sucked ***!

Old 05-12-2008, 01:02 PM
Banned

Don't know if you have Cricket in your area (I think it was started in KC, don't quote me), but it's like $59/month with true unlimited calling/texting/picture messages. And it truly is prepaid. No credit checks, no deposits, no hassles.

We're thinking about going to Cricket after the contract is up with Cingular. I've had all the companies out there (the large ones) and Cingular is by far my best experience with credit-approved wireless plans, but it never fails you get some phantom charges showing up, and when you call them they talk circles until you can finally take no more and give them your credit card number.

Cricket pre-paid FTW!

Old 05-12-2008, 01:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not used Cricket, but I know a lot of people that have it. I have heard mixed things about it, the only downside is the limited coverage area...IE, within your city. They are not good for travelling.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:13 PM
Banned

"LEMME SLEEP ON IT!"

I freakin love that commercial!

Old 05-12-2008, 01:17 PM

Never heard of Cricket. I never stop hearing complaints about Cingular from people that have them. Verizon gives me no problems, but then again I don't pay for it. I'm not looking at spending more than $20 or $30 a month for her service which is why I'm looking at pre-paid.

I did have a personal cell like 6 years ago. Had it for one year contract and theysend me a letter telling me I get a free month if I sign up for an additional year. Stopped using the phone and didn't sign back up. They sent me late invoices and started charing me the $200 cancellation fee. F those MFers[:@]