Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Salvage title in one state clean title in another

Old 04-27-2018, 07:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Salvage title in one state clean title in another

This past weekend I finally found myself the f4i I had been searching for for about 5 months. I bought the bike out of state and everything was perfect. Low miles, clean title, very well taken care of etc. Today when I went to have the title put in my name the bike came up salvage. Somehow it made it through 3 states and 5 owners without coming up as salvage. It was salvaged about a year into its lifetime by the first owner and somehow after he sold it it never showed up as salvage again until I bought it.

My question is am I SOL or is there anything I can do to have the title changed to clean in my state? I genuinely believe the guy I bought it from had no idea so I don’t want to cause any issues by going back to him.

Old 04-27-2018, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

Does the fact that it has a salvage title matter where you live?
In some states you can get your vehicle registered and insuredwith no problem.

Old 04-27-2018, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by hamlin6
Does the fact that it has a salvage title matter where you live?
In some states you can get your vehicle registered and insuredwith no problem.
No it’s all insured and registered, I’m just not happy about the fact that somehow it never showed up until I went to register it. I’m just curious if I can fight this in any way since it was a clean title in 3 other states

Old 04-27-2018, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

You have to remember that each state has it's own laws. What is total'd in one state may be fine in another.
If your bike rune right and you are happy with it, then twist the wick and be glad.

Old 04-28-2018, 10:47 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

A friend gave me a bike a few months ago. A lady pulled out in front of him and the forks got tucked up under. The insurance company gave him the choice of so much money to fix it or total it for more. They totaled it and he gave it to me. In New York state, I need to fix it and take it to a NYS inspection site and get it approved road worthy with a salvage title. In NYS a salvage title can never be lifted.

I bought my daughter a convertible that was recovered from as stolen. Because it was a recovery vehicle, it had a salvage title. In both cases, I don't care. The value of a salvage vehicle is reduced but if I plan on using it, no one can tell and I don't care.

Like hamlin said above, it could vary from state to state. Your state where it came up salvage may require it to stay salvage.

If a car sitting is a car lot that gets flooded and the rugs get wet, the dealer may have the car totaled by the insurance, dry the rugs and sell it as salvage. Nothing modified or changed on a new vehicle but a good buy for someone who wants to drive it into the dirt. If you like the bike and want to ride it, no one will know that that little piece of paper in your pocket say salvage.

Old 04-29-2018, 10:12 AM

This is just a guess, but this could have happened because of a delay in the DMV getting accident info from the insurance company. Here in Cali you’re supposed to report any damage over 700 or something, but if you never never do it, and insurance doesn’t do it, I could see it taking a while to show.