Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Sad Day.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 12:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sad Day.

I heard about this on Saturday night. Happened around 7pm near Raleigh. A bunch of riders went down, two were killed.

Motorcycles in pack crash, killing 2
A 19-year-old student at St. Aug's and a man from Raleigh die in the Nash County collision

A St. Augustine's College student and a Raleigh man died Saturday evening after two motorcycles collided on U.S. 64 in Nash County.

State Highway Patrol Sgt. J.D. Dodson said the accident occurred about 6:30 p.m. in the westbound lane near the town of Momeyer, about five miles west of Nashville.

A 2005 Suzuki motorcycle driven by Alexander Wilson, 43, of Raleigh collided with a 2006 Honda bike driven by Earnest Powell Jr., 17, of Knightdale, Dodson said.

The crash killed Wilson and a female passenger riding with Powell, 19-year-old Zakira Gatling. Dodson said Gatling was a St. Augustine's College student from Paterson, N.J. Her family could not be reached for comment Sunday.

Powell was taken to WakeMed where he was in fair condition Sunday, according to hospital officials.

Authorities are still trying to determine what caused the two motorcycles to crash into each other. Wilson and Powell were riding with a pack of six to 10 bikes, Dodson said. Several other motorcycle riders suffered minor injuries after they avoided the accident and ended up in a ditch, he said.

Trooper T.S. Holloman said the group was heading back to Raleigh after visiting friends in Nash County.

Joyce Wilson, 43, said her husband and some friends were about to start a motorcycle club.

"He showed me the jackets they had just got," she said.

Alexander Wilson was a member of Lincoln Park Holiness Church in Raleigh and worked as a carrier for DHL, the shipping company, his wife said. He moved to North Carolina about 10 years ago from New York City.

Alexander Wilson suffered a bad motorcycle accident when he lived in New York City, Joyce Wilson said. He finally saved enough money to buy another motorcycle about a year ago, she said, which he used for long weekend rides.

"It was something he loved to do," she said.

Alexander Wilson leaves behind a daughter, a son and two stepsons.
And honestly... who allows a 17 year old child to ride a new 2006 honda sports bike in the first place? And why does he have a passenger? I'm pretty sure you can't get your full motorcycle endorsement till your 18 and your not allowed to have any passengers till then.

http://www.newsobserver.com/102/story/515123.html

Old 11-27-2006, 12:54 PM
Default RE: Sad Day.

GEEEZE man that totally sux!!!I was out all day Saturday and there was 1000s' of bike on the road!! To tell you the truth I saw a group with the new "club vests" I hope it wasn't them !!! Dangitt riding in packs is a biotch !! People start acting up one makes a silly mistake and BOOM the whole dang group goes down!! Freakin bike bowling .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................
[sm=imsorry.gif] for the familes and there friends we all know if that was our boy we'd be bummed !! That local so I 'll let you all know if I hear anything more...

Old 11-27-2006, 02:45 PM
Retired Moderator

I went riding with a group Saturday, and we ended our trip at the grave of a nineteen your old who was just killed two months ago. I didn't know him, but the rest of the group rode with him. Be dilligent out there! Prayers to the families...

Old 11-27-2006, 03:53 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: GEARHEAD69

People start acting up one makes a silly mistake and BOOM the whole dang group goes down!! Freakin bike bowling

That's true. This is why I don't like riding in groups. It's soooo easy for people to ride beyond their ability. It's sad to hear stories like this.

Old 11-27-2006, 08:08 PM

This Bums me even more !! I looked at the pic in the N/O and it was the fello that my groupe and I talked to over dinner at a resturaunt earlier that day!!! Man I just had that feeling..........hmmmmmmm,well I guess this answers a post that I replied earlier today reguarding wheelie tickets and why thier cracking down!! be safe guyz you never know if that will be us next time!!!! I will update as I learn more...
G

Old 11-27-2006, 09:40 PM

Apparently the guy on the gixxer accidentally hits the kid on the honda bike causing the initial wreck.