Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Riding with a passenger?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 01:12 AM
July 2008 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hangfire
No offense man but if you asked me if you could borrow my gf so you could practice having a passenger. I'd tell you to get f$%^ed. Two things you don't borrow out, your bike or your woman. Your friends not too smart, or doesn't like his gf much and can't think of a better way to break up with her, lol.
Sounds like either you don't trust your friends because of something they did, or you don't trust anybody period. I have plenty of good bike friends that have no problem borrowing either their bike or girlfriend to me (for friend-only activities, thanks). Actually a handful of my friends' girls will hop on my bike if the guys feel like doing some wheelies or something.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:18 AM
July 2008 ROTM

Personally, I think you overdramatize life. You say you'd hate to have to kill me if something happened to your girl while she was on my bike. Yet just before that, you say that **** happens. So, you'd kill me if your girlfriend got hurt when I was just driving down the road normally and some car ran us over? Yeah, makes a lot of sense to me...

I understand why you wouldn't want to take the risk of responsibility in the event of an accident or anything out of your control. I also understand why you wouldn't want to let your girl on a bike with someone who has no passenger-carrying experience. But if someone wants to learn, and is willing to practice in a parking lot or some other relatively safe environment, why not? Better to have an experienced passenger than a similar noob (I think the story earlier about the wife grabbing an arm is a great example).

I ride with a very diverse group of people, from middle aged men who can ride faster than anyone I know to my girlfriend who got her license a few weeks ago. I think it's incredibly unfair to generalize my friends just because we trust each other. It's not like we go around playing Chinese fire drill at every stop light.

And yes, friends like those are amazing to have in your life, and I have a few people that fit some of those categories. But if you limit your friendship in life to only those people, I personally would be missing a part of myself. If I were to be in a bad accident and end up in the hospital, I'd have 30 people there just from my group of riding friends. And I think that says a lot.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:39 AM

Hey guys, she'll be wearing a full suit/helmet/gloves/boots etc, and I'm only going to an abandoned parking lot. I'm going to practice stopping (distances and stuff), slow turns, and just generally getting a feel for having an extra 120 lbs behind me.
They're both good friends of mine, and they know that I'll take extra good care whenever they're with me!

Old 05-22-2009, 10:19 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let's not get personal and keep the thread on topic. There is too much good info in this thread to kill it with a pissing contest

Old 05-22-2009, 12:21 PM

chinese fire drill??...nevermind i googled it lol

Old 05-22-2009, 03:59 PM
July 2008 ROTM

Originally Posted by Hangfire
Heh, you've got to be the only person I've ever met who described me as dramatic in any way, my writing style online must come off muc different from the way things sound in my head, If I was any more laid back in person I'd prolly never make it out of bed every day.

Regardless, you have people that want to be everyones friend, and other's who just want a core group of really good friends, to each their own. Me? If I was laid up in the hospital all tore up I'd rather be visited anyday by a few true friends than a gaggle of buddies.

If you want to analyze me, well tit for tat I guess, lol. You strike me as the type who needs a cause. Whether it's womens right and treating people equally, or being respectful to everyone or saving the whales, you just need a cause. You come off as addicted to being needed, or to being seen as the "good guy". It bleeds off all your posts, whether your berating someone for an off-color joke, acting uptight about a sexist comment someone typed or rushing to protect another poster you see as being unfairly treated. You have a deep need to be seen as the "good guy", possibly a dependency issue. You sound like one of those overly politically correct types who can't just leave well enough alone and would stifle all creative thinking and free speech under a mantle of polical correctness. Herd type thinker maybe, it is hip to be pc now right?

Is any of the above correct? Hell who knows, prolly not. But if you feel like your qualifed to judge and psychoanalyze a person based off of a couple of internet forum posts, well. tit for tat. I'm honestly not trying to pick a fight, just trying to point out that you don't know me any more than I know you, and it would prolly be best to leave personal stuff out of the forums and not try to analyze other posters. It tends to get messy, and is pretty pointless.

For what it's worth I didn't mean to generalize your friends, just posted an impression that was given from reading your own post, I don't know any of them from adam. It's just how it "sounded". Hence the "It Sounds Like" part of my sentence. Anyways, take it easy. It's all good.
Hah, way off beat on your end as well. I'll keep the rebuttal off this time, but just want to make it clear that, like yourself, I'm just saying my opinion on my reaction to what you said. People are different, nobody has to be right. *hugs*

Old 05-22-2009, 04:48 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just kiss and get it over with dudes ... ya, typing it makes it sound ugly but maybe you'll feel better .

Now, no more rebuttals or rebuttals of rebuttals ... thanks ... sorry, no smiley this time ...

Old 05-23-2009, 10:16 PM

Oh my...I was having a flashback! Dam you Hang

Anyways, what the h-ll was I thinki...oh...Personally, I think you should get a few thousand miles under your belt before you go putting anyone else at risk, know what I mean? I mean you need to know your bike first before knowing what it's like to have passengers. It's just a whole different ballgame when you have someone on the back. Sure riding around a parking lot with someone familiar wouldn't be bad, but you might get a false sense of ability and when the GF says "Take me for a ride! Take me for a ride!", you'll be so tempted cause things went fine in the parking lot that you feel ok about it and say ok and she'll jump on the back and next thing you know your fighting to keep the bike from flopping over thanks to her cause she still...has no experience. Just try to resist taking her for now, go out and get used to everything, the dirt in the road, the pavement sealer sh-t they put down on the roads (getta watch that stuff), how your bike handles with just yourself. But this is just my opinion, you may do better with someone on the back, who knows. But if you do take her I would tell her to just sit there and look pretty, and don't do anything else! If your turning, tell her to look over that shoulder not lean, (who knows she mite fall off) but just be smooth. shift smooth and brake smoothly.
Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Riding with a passenger?