Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Riding the other day...

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007 | 01:16 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy
Default RE: Riding the other day...

im curious kid why did you leave the force ? and what rules are setup against cops who ride.. im about to take the test and hopefullly join the force myslef and this kinda worries me .

Old 02-10-2007 | 01:19 AM
Retired Moderator

I can totally relate, Kid! I ended up running into some really cool guys (through an old friend who has the same exactbike as me). I went for a ride with them, but they handed me my ***. They have been riding together for years. Anyway, they do stoppies and wheelies, kick her into neutral at stoplights, and ride like hell hounds are on their trail. The thing is, they are ALL geared up, don't ride if they drink even one beer (I would NEVER EVER think about it but some do), goof off only in unpopulated areas, and are GREAT guys. I find myself a huge fan of these guys, and secretly want them to ask me to join their club someday!

Old 02-10-2007 | 12:22 PM

ORIGINAL: cjp48

At least they are showing restraint and judgement, but I don't think your group would suit me.
Kinda the way I feel. Sure, I don't always go the speed limit, but stunting on publice roads is not my cup of tea. If I find myself riding with a group like this, I just peel off from them and let them go their way. I don't wish them any ill will, just not my thing.

Old 02-10-2007 | 12:43 PM

I agree with you. If it's clear traffic wise, no big deal with the stunting. Trip how you're "view" of things changes based on who you hang around/what you're exposed to.
Now take that and apply it to other areas of your life and you can get to understanding how some people "end up/chose" the path the are on. Everything is relative.

Old 02-10-2007 | 02:07 PM
|
Banned

Haha - Voodoo, talk about the nail on the head.

That's just it man- like I said, I've never seend anything like this up close. So I always had my preconceptions about the personality type that does staggered stance wheelies in traffic...

But it wasn't these cats! I wouldn't have known it had I just seperated and went my ownway, but once we stopped a couple of times and got to talking - they were actually some cool cats, easy to talk to and logical people. I have a hard time thinking that any one of them would have run if they were getting pulled over... nope.

Havoc - man, there is no set of rules to follow. It's sort of like someone said above... you are a reflection of your friends.. and while I do generally agree with that completely, I can't help but wonder how much of it was force-fed to me in the academy and on the job.

I was never the type of peson to judge people, I was always the laid-back relaxed cat who would hang out with and talk yo anyone. 4 years later I'm a complete cynic, only hang out with other cops and hadn't seen my boys that were my boys before police bidness.

Yeah yeah, they'll tell you it's gonna happen slowly or whatever. But it's just a smack in the face when you scroll through your phone and the only numbers you see are those of other cops...

SOMETIMES YOU JUST WANT TO BE ABLE TO RELAX AND SAY ANYTHING WITHOUT THINKING SOMEONE WHO MAY NOT KNOW YOU TOO WELL THINKING THE WRONG THING.

It's just comfort I guess. I got tired of it. I got tired of not seeing family the I cared abo0ut for long periods of time just because they smoked a little pot here and there. Same goes with long time friends. My friends know me, and I know my friends.

Everyone else is welcome to come into my life and either make a friendship or go their seperate ways... the difference is - the choice is theirs... Not me judging them!

Sorry for the rant about police work... just let it be known you will look at the world through much different eyes in 3-4 years. You WILL NOT be the same person... make that choice for yourself.

Anyway, like I said, no rules. But if you get pulled over with a group of them... the chief or sheriff is gonna find out and you better have a damn good reason for it. If it happens twice...

The general concensus is, "where there is smoke there is fire."

Good luck to everyone and thanks for all the responses.