Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Rent Money on time please?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 01:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rent Money on time please?

How come i wasnt bright enough to come up with these ideas? Hell with all the extra money i could make i'd be able to mod all winter long!!!

Old 11-19-2008, 05:36 PM

I'm losing my apartment by months end...costs are becoming over welming.....need to regroup for a bit .......dismiss a few lingering bills and then maybe mid next year Iwill be in very good situation

Old 11-19-2008, 06:54 PM

wow sweet vid, if you do that to them make sure you record it.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:22 AM
RCR

Best way to lose freinds

share rentals with em
lend em money
tell them you don't like their girlfriend

Old 11-20-2008, 01:06 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Feel for you. It's tough to show compassion and get bills paid at the same time. I also lived at my dads condo while renting other rooms a while back. Went through many many roommates and it's difficult enough getting random roommates to pay up on time much less friends. As stated money and friends rarely mix well. Unfortunately, if after a couple of times playing nice guy nothing works with grace periods and such, you have to play it just like if they where renting at an apartment complex and set a firm due date and consequences firmly laid out in writing and signed off and be prepared to follow up. But make sure to let them know in advance that although you don't want to do it, there won't be reminders. No offense but imo whether it's you or your dad won't matter much because they will think you as a friend will stick up for them to your dad .. tell them the bank your father owes the mortgage to is the bad guy (not you or your dad) and they don't give grace periods like you're giving them and to please not take advantage of that. I'd tell them that even if the house is paid off because it still makes the same point for the other bills that are due (property taxes, utilities, etc..). The late fee and lease signing ideas are good as well.

I know the above sounds like a tough way to deal with friends but believe me, having been through it for many years, if you don't stick to your guns you'll continue on the begging path for a long time. Good luck mang.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:07 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's what I'd do, for what it's worth.
Each of you is a separate 'legal identity'
Get your Dad to have a house meeting, explain late payment penalties to all of you, and give each person an invoice for their share of the rent, every month, and give dated receipts when it's paid. That way, when one or more are late, he can keep a record of it - It may result in one or more being evicted, but it's then a legal matter between your father (the landlord) and yourselves -you can't be blamed by your friends that way.
Other option is ask HC to pay you a visit..........fear is a wonderful motivator....

Old 11-20-2008, 05:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been in this situation many times & as RCR said it is indeed the best way to lose friends.
Formalising by a lease or wot ever ain't worth the paper its printed on, your old man getting heavy will not do the job either. These guys now you & more than likely know your dad as well, they are not going to make any extra effort to pay on time & your slowly going to get further behind, with many promises of 'I'll pay you next week for sure', they will even go through the machinations of maybe giving you a bit of money with even more promises of more to come. I their minds, your rent is low on their priority list, in fact they have already worked that in their weekly calculations. They will try to soften you up by buying the odd carton of beer, pot or whatever. Eventually it will get it to the guys saying that they paid for this & that, then eventually they will leave, & leave you owing your dad a **** load of money.
Do yourself a favour & get rid of them, get a few people you don't know (but vet them 1st) & come across as a total bastard about the rent being paid on time, don't mention the landlord is your old man.