CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   Reason Why Others Don't Wave (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/reason-why-others-dont-wave-23917/)

gofasteRR 09-27-2006 01:55 PM

Reason Why Others Don't Wave

Saw this and thought you all would enjoy.

Top Ten Reasons Why Harley Riders Don't Wave Back

10. Afraid it will invalidate warranty.
9. Leather and studs make it too heavy to raise arm.
8. Refuse to wave to anyone whose bike is already paid for.
7. Afraid to let go of handlebars because they might vibrate off.
6. Rushing wind would blow scabs off the new tattoos.
5. Angry because just took out second mortgage to pay luxury tax on new Harley.
4. Just discovered the fine print in owner's manual and realized H-D is partially owned by Honda.
3. Can't tell if other riders are waving or just reaching to cover their ears like everyone else.
2. Remembers the last time a Harley rider waved back, he impaled his hand on spiked helmet.
1. They're too tired from spending hours polishing all that chrome to lift their arms.

Top Ten Reasons Why Gold Wing Riders Don't Wave Back

10. Wasn't sure whether other rider was waving or making an obscene gesture.
9. Afraid might get frostbite if hand is removed from heated grip.
8. Has arthritis and the past 400 miles have made it difficult to raise arm.
7. Reflection from etched windshield momentarily blinded him.
6. The espresso machine just finished.
5. Was actually asleep when other rider waved.
4. Was in a three-way conference call with stockbroker and accessories dealer.
3. Was distracted by odd shaped blip on radar screen.
2. Was simultaneously adjusting the air suspension, seat height, programmable CD player, seat temperature and satellite navigation system.
1. Couldn't find the "auto wave back" button on dashboard.

Top Ten Reasons Why BMW Riders Don't Wave Back

10. New Aerostich suit too stiff to raise arm.
9. Removing a hand from the bars is considered "bad form."
8. Your bike isn't weird enough looking to justify acknowledgement.
7. Too sore from an 800-mile day on a stock "comfort" seat.
6. Too busy programming the GPS, monitoring radar, listening to ipod, XM, or talking on the cell phone.
5. He's an Iron Butt rider and you're not!.
4. Wires from Gerbings is too short.
3. You're not riding the "right kind" of BMW.
2. You haven't been properly introduced.
1. Afraid it will be misinterpreted as a friendly gesture.

:D Funy stuff.

NC CBR1K 09-27-2006 02:00 PM

RE: Reason Why Others Don't Wave

Thats too funny...Harley riders are the worse about waving and they wonder why we blow their doors off every chance we get...

doncollins 09-27-2006 02:16 PM

Funny to read.. but I guess I' lucky. All bikes wave back at me... well, most of the time. Some choppers don't wave back, but Harleys usually always do. They don't care unless you're acting stupid. But I think the chopper guys are really just having problems riding. Think about it, with a front end raked out that far... if you let go of the handle bars for long, what's going to happen? They don’t know either but don’t wanna find out.

ddvs 09-27-2006 02:27 PM

Wierd part around here in the city of SF... NOBODY waves, especially on sport bikes, they just pretend they didn't even see you. Man waiving to no1 makes me feel like I'm stupid or something, which pisses me the funk off when I look stupid. I get more waves from mopeds than any other motorcycle, which is sad and pathetic for those who call themselves bikers.

CBRCorey 09-27-2006 03:15 PM

HAHAH I've read the harley ones before but the goldwing ones killed me. The best was the BMW bad form one.

VP 09-27-2006 03:31 PM

honestly I just think most of em just aren't paying attention... making them particularly dangerous. I've never had it happen where someone was riding directly towards me and they didn't wave. In traffic, that's another story happens all the time. I live in a podunk town way south of Atlanta and harley riders pretty much always blow off the wave, but when I lived in Atlanta EVERYONE waved even bicylists, and we waved back.

TYLER 09-27-2006 03:54 PM

Their are a bunch of stuck up people around here ( Central Oregon- Bend and surrounding areas ) yes not even the sport bike riders wave. Nobody waves to you, unless they are passing thru. The only reason I know their not from the area is all the luggage their toting around and the dead give away is the WAVE. Oh-well their loss. Harly riders are the worst. Their nose is so stuck up in the air I can't believe they can see where their going.

snowboarding82 09-27-2006 04:31 PM

Awesome read man. I was laughing through each of the three! =)

Mike

kamkind803 09-27-2006 06:07 PM

Haha...nice post

pacemaker 09-27-2006 07:21 PM

Liked the one about the BMW's. They should do one for Ducati's.
I was behind a guy on Guzzi Californian, (did not know him) as he went passed two guys on their parked Harleys, he waived, and they waived back, soon as they saw me they just turned their backs. As I went passed, tooted my horn (as I knew they would be looking now) gave them the finger. Not all Harley riders are like that though, and I have received the "blank stare" from riders of all types of bikes including other CBR riders. My personal favourte is the " Saw you waive, but I'm too cool" nod.

Slipspace 09-27-2006 08:03 PM

i liked the bmw one about your bike not looking weird enough, for the record here in virginia just about everyone waves no matter what bike your riding.

voodoochyl 09-27-2006 10:44 PM

I get 80% or better here in Grants Pass, Oregon, but we have a population of about 30K, so there is a small town mentality, I guess. I went riding yesterday for the first time in about a month (she was broken and waiting for parts), and I got waived at every time. I love it! It gives me a sense of community...am I going to get crushed by a huge Milwaukee's Best beer can, now?

city worker 09-27-2006 10:53 PM

Its always the HD riders around here that don't wave, theres one guy from "Big Bear Choppers" that rides a custom louder than **** bike and he never waves thinks he's the hottest thing on the road cuz he's riding a $30.000+ bike and wearing a $2.00 tupper ware hat, other sport riders and the like always wave :D

HondaKidF1 09-27-2006 10:55 PM

i waved to a guy on a Harley today and he looked like a deer in headlights until he was about to pass and then just as he passed, almost too far for me to see, he waved. Strange...

telgren 09-28-2006 12:38 AM

ORIGINAL: HondaKidF1

i waved to a guy on a Harley today and he looked like a deer in headlights until he was about to pass and then just as he passed, almost too far for me to see, he waved. Strange...
Sure there wasnt a bug flying in front of him that he wanted to swat away? Otherwise that is way strange...

HondaKidF1 09-28-2006 01:04 AM

haha, I can't be totally sure of that, but if not it was way strange.

rippn 09-28-2006 04:04 AM

Thanks for the lists!!!!!!!! I needed that !!!!!! Wanna have fun???? wave at the moped /scooter people ... they almost fall off, there so suprised !!!!!!! Clean and free, Ripp'n

VP 09-28-2006 12:12 PM

Do you guys wave at motorcycle cops? I do, but then afterwards I'm always like "why did I do that?" I know we've got some cops on this forum, so don't take any disrespect I'm just sayin'.

rrasco 09-28-2006 12:42 PM

ORIGINAL: vpsophmore

Do you guys wave at motorcycle cops? I do, but then afterwards I'm always like "why did I do that?" I know we've got some cops on this forum, so don't take any disrespect I'm just sayin'.
all the time, and they always wave back. have to remember, they are on 2 wheels for a reason. Here, motorcycle cops have to ride their own bikes.

Paul Square 09-28-2006 01:02 PM

I love waving to moped/scooter riders, they always get so excited about it. In my town, I'd say I get a 30% response from all riders. There aren't many CBRs around either... I think I've seen one 600RR and one 1000RR. Then again, there's a new Repsol in town, I passed him the other day in my Camel gear. He didn't wave back. Maybe he's taking the whole Rossi/Hayden thing too personal. ;)

ddvs 09-28-2006 01:36 PM

I usually can tell if the rider is new or not by if the rider waves or not. New riders are so afraid to take there hands off the bar, I pass off anyone who doesn't wave as a newbie rider and then it doesn't get to me that much.

VP 09-28-2006 04:21 PM

all the time, and they always wave back. have to remember, they are on 2 wheels for a reason. Here, motorcycle cops have to ride their own bikes.
True that man, I'm not trying to be disrepectful or anything but they're still the enemy sometimes.

I usually can tell if the rider is new or not by if the rider waves or not. New riders are so afraid to take there hands off the bar, I pass off anyone who doesn't wave as a newbie rider and then it doesn't get to me that much.
That's a good point I remember being nervous when I first started. One time I waved at a guy on the highway by taking my right hand off the handlebar... genius huh? I slowed down real fast then when I realized what I had done I sped up to like 150 just to show I wasn't a total tool. I probably still looked it though.

telgren 09-28-2006 04:57 PM

Here I was only five minutes ago pulling into the designated motercycle spots here at South Dakota State University, when a Harley approaching from the other direction begins to slow to park as well. I politely wave, and he purposely looked at me then looked the other way. Me being the nice guy that I am, I had finally had enough, it wasnt so much that he was a Harley rider that pissed me off, it was the fact he was in uniform as an ROTC student. I waited for him to take his cute little black helmet off, and then told him he was not only a dickhead, but also a disgrace to the US army for being such an unsociable bastard.

freak4by4 09-28-2006 07:11 PM

I feel that if your cruising on 2 wheels you are part of the motorcycle culture like or not. Its just flat different than anything else.So "Why can'nt we all just get along" Had to throw that in here.

In my experience I ride three very different style bikes. Its amazing that on my chopper everyone waves. I mean everyone even old ladies in corrollas. On my Katana some do some don't. On my CBR most wave even Harley rider at least around here not so much on the east coast ; different attitude. I have adopted a practice when on Honda or Suzuki and Harley guys dont wave back. I send them the one finger salute. I have been caught at gas station and asked about this practice and I explain my gripe w/who ever wants to know. No trouble yet!

On another note about Chopper guys not waving back due to poor steering geometry. NOT SO provided its built right. Most are very nuetral steering and track excellent. They dont turn sharp but thats not what they are built for.

voodoochyl 09-28-2006 10:07 PM

Telgren, that was killing me about the "unsociable bastard" part of your story. I actually laughed out loud...thanks.

mlcjr 09-29-2006 04:13 AM

great post.......[sm=groupwave.gif]

ddvs 09-29-2006 05:30 PM

great thread......https://cbrforum.com/upfiles/smiley/groupwave.gif

christhek 09-29-2006 11:25 PM

Tooo Funny

Barely any cruiser riders wave at me especially HD riders. I even had one tell me that he would wave but only because he knew me. Other sportbikes he just passes by. A guy I ride with has a Buell and most HD guys are either to dumb (sorry) or to stuck up and won't even wave at him because it's a sport bike (albeit not a real one--HAHA). For me I'll wave at almost anyone as long as you are riding (but sorry not kids on those stupid mopeds)

indysoccer16 09-30-2006 01:03 AM

my friend made the ultimate noobin mistake. he bought a harley and was riding on the highway and saw a group going the other way and they waved and when he went to wave back instead of low and to the side he went up high like you are waving to get someones attention and almost got ripped off the bike. Funny, but scared the crap out of him.

CBR76 10-01-2006 10:46 AM

I would say that 80% or so of the riders I pass wave. I will admit that I wont wave to Harley riders first because if its not returned itll just irritate me.

A few months ago I demo'd an MV Agusta F4 1000S and nobody waved. They all just openly stared or stared out of the corner of their eyes while pretending not to. At one stoplight a little boy was standing with his mother, eyes wide open, with the biggest smile on his face. I gave the engine a little rev and he just lit up and started jumping up and down. Its the little things like that make riding that much more enjoyable.

Paul Square 10-02-2006 03:17 PM

ORIGINAL: CBR76

I would say that 80% or so of the riders I pass wave. I will admit that I wont wave to Harley riders first because if its not returned itll just irritate me.

A few months ago I demo'd an MV Agusta F4 1000S and nobody waved. They all just openly stared or stared out of the corner of their eyes while pretending not to. At one stoplight a little boy was standing with his mother, eyes wide open, with the biggest smile on his face. I gave the engine a little rev and he just lit up and started jumping up and down. Its the little things like that make riding that much more enjoyable.
I love kids. When I'm riding around in a neighborhood and there are kids playing in a yard, they always run towards the curb pointing and waving. That's a fair trade off in my opinion versus the harley riders.

On another note... I was riding down a busy road this weekend, just getting off the interstate, and these two blonde hotties (Can I say that?) in a white vette (c5) convertible start gesturing and yelling to get my attention. At the next light, they pull up next to me and start asking me for all sorts of arbitrary directions, giggling the whole time. Yeah, Screw you H-D. :D

fishfryer527 10-02-2006 08:48 PM

Sometimes I don't wave because I can't tell if the other guy is on a big scooter or not until it's too late... I hate waving at scooters. The other thing is vette drivers wave and some S2000 drivers, I have started waving at the wrong vehicles because I forget what I am driving. So if some old guy waves at you from an Accord, don't think he is a mental patient, just remember that I may be operating from habit.

voodoochyl 10-03-2006 12:38 AM

ORIGINAL: fishfryer527

Sometimes I don't wave because I can't tell if the other guy is on a big scooter or not until it's too late
Yeah, I hate that. I get all excited to see what the bike is, and it turns out to be a 28 year old guy on a scooter on his way to return a library book that his mother checked out. When scooter guy grows up, he will buy a mini-van.

wsideshow 10-07-2006 07:30 PM

lol good thread.I live in tampa florida and it seems like every 1 waves here on all bikes.My 11 year old rides out with me alot now and it gets him going waving back at people lol.On another hand I had some dumb kids in a car beside me at a light asking me to wheelie it.I looked at him and said are you kiiding.He laughed and said why not? Um I have a kid on the back is that good enough?? man I hate stupid people

voodoochyl 10-08-2006 12:21 AM

I went to see my wife and have dinner at her pub tonight. When I went out front to suit up and get ready to go, a scooter guy waved at me as he was going to pass. I wasn't sure what to do so I just gave him a head nod...Welcome to the club, that's a bad ass hog you got there! I just had to laugh, because I remembered this thread. He was pleased as punch...bless his heart!