Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Really? you can handle a SS bike straight out of the military?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 08:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Really? you can handle a SS bike straight out of the military?

ORIGINAL: Wallyburger

Very good points.

You are right I see a lot of Army guys in the bike shops on week end looking to buy bikes. I never thought of it before but is that some kind of trend being in the Army & riding super bikes?

see the problem is this, they have no way to spend what little money they make while on duty, especially while on deployment, or while living on base they dont amke enough to afford a nice car....so bikes are the way to go...marines speciffically. Probably 5-6 years back when my friends started getting out of 4 and 8 year contracts alot of them bought busa's or ducatti's....sorry....those are WAY TOO MUCH bike for a first timer....hell i don't even like riding my neighbors busa...even with the extended swingarm, i've had it "come up on me" well into third gear....ok ok this is becomming a totally seperate thread and its going to be posted as such in off topic, look for it later....

Old 10-03-2007, 09:28 AM
Ty
Default RE: Really? you can handle a SS bike straight out of the military?

Hey, I was in the service and can answer this question. You wouldn't know this unless you spent time overseas, but if you are stationed overseas there are three ways that your things get there when you move:

1 - You hand carry everything that you can on the airplane. This is for important things like golf clubs, uniforms, beer bong, etc.

2 - They come pack up your house and ship it wherever you are going. This is for the rest of your stuff and takes a few weeks. It's a good timeto take leave on your way to a new duty station because if you time it right, your stuff can be there when you get there. (but usually not)

3 - They ship your automobiles. This takes like 2 months sometimes and is the biggest pain in the *** that you can imagine, especially if you are going to a country that requires conversions on the vehicle before you can drive it.

So, when the hell do they pick up my bike? Good question. Motorcycles are packed in a special crate and shipped with your household belongings because they are small enough to not need to be shipped special like cars. So when you are stationed overseas, you get there first and live in temp housing until you get a place either on the base or off, then they bring your household goods to you when they arrive, then your car gets there in a month or two. If you are lucky enough to have a motorcycle, you don't have to bum rides or rent a car for the month or two before your autos get there.

So, most of the servicemembers that you see looking at bikes probably know how this works and are expecting to be stationed overseas at some time. A bike can be a HUGE lifesaver during a relocation. Since bonuses are pretty good these days for servicemembers, it only makes sense to grab a bike and learn how to ride. Now, the drawback to this whole thing is that there is so much testosterone in a military environment, there is absolutely no consideration for anything less than the "big dog" bikes which leads to a good amount of squids on liters.

Now that you guys know why theywant bikes, PLEASE, be nice to those boys,and instead of teasing them, offer to show them some riding techniques or something.You'd be surprised how few people in the states are nice to military members. I actually got treated better overseas.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:56 PM

ORIGINAL: Ty

You'd be surprised how few people in the states are nice to military members. I actually got treated better overseas.
That pisses me off to read that. I'm amazed at the lack of appreciation so many liberals have for our military. U.S.A. - love it or leave it.

[sm=americanasmiley.gif][sm=americanasmiley.gif][sm=americanasmiley.gif][sm=americanasmiley.gif][sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 10-03-2007, 08:17 PM

Delete

Old 10-03-2007, 08:24 PM

ORIGINAL: thomasintexas

ORIGINAL: Wallyburger

Very good points.

You are right I see a lot of Army guys in the bike shops on week end looking to buy bikes. I never thought of it before but is that some kind of trend being in the Army & riding super bikes?

see the problem is this, they have no way to spend what little money they make while on duty, especially while on deployment, or while living on base they dont amke enough to afford a nice car....so bikes are the way to go...marines speciffically. Probably 5-6 years back when my friends started getting out of 4 and 8 year contracts alot of them bought busa's or ducatti's....sorry....those are WAY TOO MUCH bike for a first timer....hell i don't even like riding my neighbors busa...even with the extended swingarm, i've had it "come up on me" well into third gear....ok ok this is becomming a totally seperate thread and its going to be posted as such in off topic, look for it later....
Your right. I wish Ty was wrong about how millitary guys usually only consider big displacement bikes, but we all know that it's a double-edged sword. We need them to be a little crazy at work, but don't needit when they'rehome.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:16 PM
Friend and Hero ...

Hey, I was in the service and can answer this question. You wouldn't know this unless you spent time overseas, but if you are stationed overseas there are three ways that your things get there when you move:

1 - You hand carry everything that you can on the airplane. This is for important things like golf clubs, uniforms, beer bong, etc.

2 - They come pack up your house and ship it wherever you are going. This is for the rest of your stuff and takes a few weeks. It's a good timeto take leave on your way to a new duty station because if you time it right, your stuff can be there when you get there. (but usually not)

3 - They ship your automobiles. This takes like 2 months sometimes and is the biggest pain in the *** that you can imagine, especially if you are going to a country that requires conversions on the vehicle before you can drive it.

So, when the hell do they pick up my bike? Good question. Motorcycles are packed in a special crate and shipped with your household belongings because they are small enough to not need to be shipped special like cars. So when you are stationed overseas, you get there first and live in temp housing until you get a place either on the base or off, then they bring your household goods to you when they arrive, then your car gets there in a month or two. If you are lucky enough to have a motorcycle, you don't have to bum rides or rent a car for the month or two before your autos get there.

So, most of the servicemembers that you see looking at bikes probably know how this works and are expecting to be stationed overseas at some time. A bike can be a HUGE lifesaver during a relocation. Since bonuses are pretty good these days for servicemembers, it only makes sense to grab a bike and learn how to ride. Now, the drawback to this whole thing is that there is so much testosterone in a military environment, there is absolutely no consideration for anything less than the "big dog" bikes which leads to a good amount of squids on liters.

Now that you guys know why theywant bikes, PLEASE, be nice to those boys,and instead of teasing them, offer to show them some riding techniques or something.You'd be surprised how few people in the states are nice to military members. I actually got treated better overseas.
+++ 1[sm=signs007.gif] could not have explained it this well myself

Old 10-05-2007, 11:35 AM
Ty

ORIGINAL: MotoGPFan26

You'd be surprised how few people in the states are nice to military members. I actually got treated better overseas.

Umm...yeah...there might be a reason for that. Ever stopped and noticed how many military members have their heads stuck up their own asses? Most. I had the displeasure of growing up a large part of my life in a military town. Most of them were total *********. The only ones with even the least bit of manners were some of the Air Force pilots...and that was a far stretch.

The do so much for the country...blah blah blah. They have a job of their own choosing. They aren't "doing for the country." Their doing no more than myself or anyone else who gets up and goes to a job every day. None of us get patted on the back for "doing our job," why should they? Hell, they chose the military...nobody forced them. They are doing their job and that does NOT make them special...why can't people understand that????? THEY DO THEIR JOB...nothing more! Big deal.

Oh...and don't post up with the "freedom vs communism" speech. Two words: Dalton Trumbo.

I'm not knocking the military...just giving my 2 cents.

Oh and by the way...I'm a republican if it matters...but I know how to keep perspective.

Are you F**king serious?

A Marine in a hostile area of Iraq that is spending his day saving the goddamn sand people from a life of totalitarian genocide and oppression is doinga hell of a lot more than whatever it is that you do! Were you out saving the world today? Has anyone ever said thank you to you that can't even speak english? Have you ever had to wear armor to do your job? Do your coworkers frequently die because they are helping to secure an area for people that they don't know?

Those people aren't special because they HAVE to do something, they are special because they WANT to do something. They get up and say that they WANT to make a difference in the world. Not by jacking off at some 9-5, but by strapping down, going wherever in the world that people need help, and f**king helping them without hesitation.

You know, maybe some of them are *********. Can't you give the boys a break while they are at home. Do you know what it's like to spend years in foreign countries in and out of chem gear and in and out of hostile areas and then to come back to your home and have people like you spewing this garbage at them? It's people like you that make them act this way. I could count on always having to listen to someone's BS in the states because you are free to do so. Wouldn't you like for the rest of the world to have the same freedom to badmouth the people making a difference?

You don't want to have to deal with the ********* that protect freedom. Well, my little friend, trust me when I say that they don't want to deal withprotectingyours. The difference is that they are professional enough to do it anyway. Maybe you could give them the same consideration if your head ever falls out of your a**.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:46 AM

Are you F**king serious?

A Marine in a hostile area of Iraq that is spending his day saving the goddamn sand people from a life of totalitarian genocide and oppression is doinga hell of a lot more than whatever it is that you do! Were you out saving the world today? Has anyone ever said thank you to you that can't even speak english? Have you ever had to wear armor to do your job? Do your coworkers frequently die because they are helping to secure an area for people that they don't know?

Those people aren't special because they HAVE to do something, they are special because they WANT to do something. They get up and say that they WANT to make a difference in the world. Not by jacking off at some 9-5, but by strapping down, going wherever in the world that people need help, and f**king helping them without hesitation.

You know, maybe some of them are *********. Can't you give the boys a break while they are at home. Do you know what it's like to spend years in foreign countries in and out of chem gear and in and out of hostile areas and then to come back to your home and have people like you spewing this garbage at them? It's people like you that make them act this way. I could count on always having to listen to someone's BS in the states because you are free to do so. Wouldn't you like for the rest of the world to have the same freedom to badmouth the people making a difference?

You don't want to have to deal with the ********* that protect freedom. Well, my little friend, trust me when I say that they don't want to deal withprotectingyours. The difference is that they are professional enough to do it anyway. Maybe you could give them the same consideration if your head ever falls out of your a**.
[/quote]

+1 i personaly get so sick and tired of people talking bad about our military they are there puting their life on the line for stupid people who dont appreciate it. it makes me sick. i will give a personal thank you to anyone who is in the service or has been in the service wether they are nice to me or not.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:00 PM

Umm...yeah...there might be a reason for that. Ever stopped and noticed how many military members have their heads stuck up their own asses? Most. I had the displeasure of growing up a large part of my life in a military town. Most of them were total *********. The only ones with even the least bit of manners were some of the Air Force pilots...and that was a far stretch.

The do so much for the country...blah blah blah. They have a job of their own choosing. They aren't "doing for the country." Their doing no more than myself or anyone else who gets up and goes to a job every day. None of us get patted on the back for "doing our job," why should they? Hell, they chose the military...nobody forced them. They are doing their job and that does NOT make them special...why can't people understand that????? THEY DO THEIR JOB...nothing more! Big deal.

Oh...and don't post up with the "freedom vs communism" speech. Two words: Dalton Trumbo.

Oh and by the way...I'm a republican if it matters...but I know how to keep perspective.

Are you F**king serious?

I agree with MotoGPFan26. You signed your self up for that crap not me. If you want to go play super hero and invade places for what you say is the greater good go right ahead. But why should the rest of the country/world devote themselves to thanking you and patting you on the back because you've done your job. Do your job, make your money and take what you get like the rest of us "jacking off at our 9-5" jobs.

I'm not saying all military people are like that. I'm sure there is a large chunk of them that are great people. But for those of you who think you're gods gift to earth...think again and pull your head out of YOUR ***.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:01 PM
TEN

[sm=WTFsgign.gif]

I can't seriously believe i just read that. Do you actually believe that sh*t you just wrote? When was the last time you spent 60, 90, 180...or more days in a hot, hostile desert, sleeping in tents, or maybe on the ground, having to have a rifle by yourside just in case someone who didn't like you might try to kill you. It's easy to degrade such jobs as the military when you are home every night, sleeping in your nice warm bed finger banging your highschool girlfriend. Yes we chose this job, and yes many of us enjoy it, even though me might get paid less that sh*t for what we do while at the same time risking our lives as well as our family life. Do you know what the divorce rate is in the military? That thread you wrote is one of the most disrespectful and shallow thoughts I have ever read. I hope maybe you re-think your opinion and show some respect for those of us that fight for the right for you to be able to write that bull****.

not knocking on the military.....wtf?

Quick Reply: Really? you can handle a SS bike straight out of the military?