Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

(Rant) Uppity dog enthusiasts

Old 11-10-2010, 09:35 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default (Rant) Uppity dog enthusiasts

Kai if a pure bred Shiba Inu. I got him from a breeder in Oklahoma. He didn't come with any AKC registry papers. And he's a Cream Shiba Inu in his coloring, which the AKC considers a serious fault for showing (which nobody can logically explain since it's a natural color for Shibas). Because the breeder isn't breeding pups with AKC registration #s, people on dog forums have labelled her a "Backyard Breeder", a derogatory term one step above "Puppy Mill".

And it's pissing me off the way these people look down on Kai's origins. When informed of them, they've called the breeder "irresponsible" for breeding cream Shibas. Which if they didn't jump to conclusions, I might bother telling them Kai's parents are Red and Sesame with 2 of his litter coming out Black & Tan (the most wanted color scheme). That despite giving a limited lifetime health guarantee, that the breeder is prolly breeding pups from poor genetic stock. Yet their champion sired dogs with full papers are suffering from severe food allergies and serious genetic diseases (Hypothyroidism). Kai came to us extremely healthy, well used to handling and extremely well socialized already. I can grab and hold any part of him from Day 1. There is only 1 person that Kai simply will not tolerate being anywhere near him and that's an ex-girlfriend who turns up occasionally (so I don't give a chit if he tells her off).

And then they act like they know every fecking thing because their breeder, who sold them a dog with an inflated price because of a piece of paper, told them. The same breeder that sold them a dog which has them spending $100s every month in medication to manage their various health issues. The same breeder that gave them a dog fearful of things Kai doesn't even blink at. One dog I'm thinking of specifically is so dog aggressive it nearly killed one of the owner's other puppies (several thousand dollar emergency vet visit) and can't be in the same room with another dog.

Yet Kai's breeder is "inferior" and "irresponsible" and "shouldn't be allowed to breed Shibas because she's not breeding for the improvement of the breed". She provided us with a wonderful family dog, stating upfront Kai was not "Show Quality". A dog that hasn't met another dog he doesn't like. Will walk down a street in the middle of a thunderstorm with buses going by, crackheads whoses brains aren't firing on all cylinders and car alarms blaring without so much as a glance.

According to them the AKC and the American Shiba Inu Kennel club speak gospel. Their breeder is a Puppy God. And it's ok that their champion sired dog has to be confined to a sunroom, only allowed out in the backyard if the other dogs are safely inside and can only consume a dog food that costs twice as much as some of the best premium foods. Otherwise it'll break out in rash that'll have it chewing its body bloody trying to seek relief.

*whew* needed to get that out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_o85KQN4Ow
Kai having a little fun. Definitely no Dog - Dog aggression there

Last edited by Kuroshio; 11-10-2010 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:38 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012

Feeling better Buddy , yeah I hate dog snobs too

Old 11-10-2010, 10:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the olny "pure" bred dog ive ever had was a greyhound , he was an ex-racer , peeps even had a problem that , he was a used sport dog and should'nt be adopted as a pet,, well kiss my cutter, "danno" was a killer pet , and great with my kids , and listened well...no cat could out run him.... all the haters can form a line bud , who gives a chit Kuro , you like the dog and thats what counts brother..

Old 11-10-2010, 10:49 AM

He is a dog...and by the sound of it a good dog. Elite, snooty kennels sell dogs to other elite snooty people. I got better things to spend my resources on than a piece of paper that says one dog is better or more exclusive...They all still sniff butts and lick their *****.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:57 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012

Getting right to the point there T...... lol .......... no true-er words were ever spoken.

I keep asking the kids not to let either dog lick them for that same reason !

I remind them about such poopsicles & buttsicles ...... they listen when I do that

Old 11-10-2010, 11:09 AM

Tell em they can all eat a di<k.
I did a quick search and couldnt find anything bad about the cream colors. Unlike merle Chi's that can (usually do) come with huge genetic defects.

When I got Jetta ( my Chi) I looked at a bunch for different forums. 99% of them were full of stuck up bitches (not the dogs). I did find one that was small and laid back.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:20 AM

Yeah, I refused to pay $2000+ to be put on a 6 month waiting list for a puppy. And be told which puppy I'd take. That'd be obscenely stupid for a dog to lay around the house, take for walks and get a hug from occasionally. And the $2000 doesn't really guarantee anything since genetics can be so random.

The AKC really pisses me off though. They decide what the breed standards are. But they don't seem to take into account what the dog are like based on the thousands of years (in Kai's case) of genetics. How can a cream coat be a serious fault if it's a naturally occuring color, sometimes appearing regardless of the parents' coloring? And in some cases to meet the "breed standard", the dog would be utterly useless for what it did for a century (or more). The working class breeds display this the most.

And then short of surgery or drugs, the AKC really doesn't care how the person bred the next champion. Some of the champions are so inbred the dog is a drooling idiot that can't figure its way out of a kennel if you left the door open. The AKC wouldn't care if your training method was a cattle prod up the dog's a$$ so long as there were no burn marks when the cameras focused on it

Old 11-10-2010, 05:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bambam
the olny "pure" bred dog ive ever had was a greyhound , he was an ex-racer , peeps even had a problem that , he was a used sport dog and should'nt be adopted as a pet,, well kiss my cutter, "danno" was a killer pet , and great with my kids , and listened well...no cat could out run him.... all the haters can form a line bud , who gives a chit Kuro , you like the dog and thats what counts brother..
Yeah I hate the mentality of some people about Greyhounds, they are a beautiful dog. Pity that a lot of owners get "Rid" of them when they don't perform at the track like "Santa's Little Helper".

I've only ever owned mutts (although my parents had & bred German Shepherds), mind you, the dogs I've had have only been a one or two off mix.
Trouble with pure breeds, a lot of genetic problems can get handed on + there is a lot of in breeding going on, sure it happens in packs, but there is more going on in the wild for survival (Strongest gets the babes). I run into a few snobs when I walk my dog. An elitist is by definition a complete w*nker & it's just all to easy to take the p*ss with them. As for dog foods, you can't beat the stuff you make yourself for them.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:15 PM

pacemaker, allegedly there's nothing wrong with inbreeding according to the AKC
Breeding dogs that are closely related can fix certain characteristics, both desirable and undesirable. Therefore, we would expect that only very experienced breeders would consider inbreeding and line breeding. However, there is no rule that prohibits inbreeding and line breeding; this is left to the discretion of individual breeders.

To hell with what those scientists say about the dangers of inbreeding. Blue ribbons prove they're completely wrong! Now can someone help the champion? He's got his tongue stuck in his nose and is suffocating.

And Kai is now on a prepared raw diet. He eats Primal Raw and is loving it (plus gaining like 2lbs per week of muscle)

Last edited by Kuroshio; 11-10-2010 at 06:18 PM.