Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Rain riding

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 05:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rain riding

Man, I hope you don't live somewhere that's extremely cold... unless you're someone who fits the non-squid description in the "How to tell if you're a squid" thread.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:12 PM

There are just a few things to remember in the rain.

Its harder for cars to see you in the rain.
Allow for increased stopping distances.
NEVER ride in the center of thelane at intersections right when it first starts raining. Particularly after being dry for a while.
Don't gas it hard out of corners.

Beyond the discomfort when I get caught unprepared, and the lack of windshield wipers, I haven't had much trouble...see above

Old 06-05-2007, 07:17 PM

The only scary part I think of riding in the rain now is hitting paint on the road, you feel the rear tire slide on it. =/

Old 06-05-2007, 07:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

paint, any metal surfaces such as manhole covers, etc. are all hairy in the wet.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I rode home in the rain on Sunday from the AMA as well, and hit quite a deluge of rain. I wouldnt have minded, but since I packed light, I left my rain gear at home. There was a point during my journey where I hit a wall of water, I could still see through fairly well, but as people stated on here, its a matter of people seeing you. My motorcycle boots actually filled up with water, and I really didnt enjoy the sensation of water running down my @ss crack, other than being cold for a bit till the sun came out, all was fine. Avoid the paint and metal, increase your stopping distances, and any other advice given here. Riding in the rain is a piece of cake.....Now riding in the Fog is a whole different story.[sm=smiley21.gif]

Old 06-05-2007, 07:36 PM

Riding in the rain is a piece of cake.....Now riding in the Fog is a whole different story.
I used to ride to work uphill both ways in 12' of snow with dense fog.............barefoot!!

Rain is wonderful, unless its cold like my ride home today. Very good for practicing your powerslides, and stabilily under wheelspin, mile long burnouts, muahahahahahahahaa

Old 06-05-2007, 10:08 PM

I ride everyday rain or shine... rains not bad just take it easy... The only i've pulled over was to wait out some hail. About a month ago it was a total downour, gravel sized hail started falling hard. Once i noticed it collecting on the road i waited a few mins for it to stop and melt off. Luckily i was on a 35mph road at that time.

The thing i don't like is being cold.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:26 AM

I took an MSF class two years ago and it was a complete down poor the intire time. After the first 20 minutes I was soaked to the bone for the remaining 4 hours. My Icon gloves bleed out some of there black dye so my hands where black for a few days.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:18 AM

good tip for anyone who gets stuck it the rain as well.... when the rain builds up on your visor just turn your head a bit in both directions that will blow the water off your shield.... and Shaving cream on the inside of the face shield will prevent fogging.... just wipe it on then wipe it off do not use water just a clean cloth... it works for cleaning leathers too... especially white.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:48 AM

ORIGINAL: BlindinOrange
Shaving cream on the inside of the face shield will prevent fogging.... just wipe it on then wipe it off do not use water just a clean cloth... it works for cleaning leathers too... especially white.
Interesting, I've never heard of that. Thanks for the tip!

Quick Reply: Rain riding