CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   Radar Detector (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/radar-detector-90941/)

dragginazz 04-07-2009 07:38 PM

Radar Detector

Ok, so I've been struggling with this all winter...do I get 1 or not? The real problem is that unless it's a Valentine, I don't think it's worth getting one. The Valentine shows which direction the signal is coming from, so I think that's the best choice. BUT, here's the other problem, where do you place the detector? If it needs a clear shot backwards I can't really install it anywhere's right in front of me. So I've been thinking, and thinking, and I thought maybe rig it up to the left side of the swingarm. Or maybe even the lower left of the fairing. I'm thinking that down low like that it may recieve signals ok, not optimal obviously, but maybe good enough to help.

I don't know. Anyone have any better thoughts? I'd appreciate some.

xcrunr1647 04-07-2009 07:48 PM

I'll give you the same advice my friend (he's a sponsored stunt rider, and completely insane) gave me:

"Just go 150 mph al the time, that way they don't even bother trying to catch you."

Flawed reasoning I believe, but whatever works for you. Personally, I just took it easy until I knew The Fuzz's hiding spots. And honestly, a detector won't help you too much with an insta-bust laser. I wouldn't worry about it personally. Just speed in the right places. Be *relatively* safe about it, i.e. don't speed and weave through rush hour traffic.

dragginazz 04-07-2009 07:52 PM

Advice

Well...That's probably the best advice I'm gonna get on this one! Thanks :)

xcrunr1647 04-07-2009 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by dragginazz (Post 768093)
Well...That's probably the best advice I'm gonna get on this one! Thanks :)

no worries man

dragginazz 04-07-2009 07:58 PM

The other thing is that detectors will work against lazer as long as your not the only one on the road. As far as I know anyways. As long as there is a car in front, the detector should pick it up. They rate the distance at like 10 miles front, 3 miles in back. If that's true you should get a warning, what are the chances they'll be no cars ya know?

xcrunr1647 04-07-2009 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by dragginazz (Post 768099)
The other thing is that detectors will work against lazer as long as your not the only one on the road. As far as I know anyways. As long as there is a car in front, the detector should pick it up. They rate the distance at like 10 miles front, 3 miles in back. If that's true you should get a warning, what are the chances they'll be no cars ya know?

Umm from what I know (I'm not a know-it-all, just relatively well-educated) there is no way a detector will pick up a laser at a range of 10 miles. Not a chance.

The whole deal with lasers is that they are instant-on, bust immediately, and are for that reason so hated by speeders. A cop will wait for someone who looks like they're speeding, lase them, and bust them.

And there are many less speeders on the road than one might think. As a biker you are gauranteed to gt hit just by virtue of the fact that you are on -2 wheels compared to the rest of the traffic.

I'm telling you, find the speed traps and nests The Fuzz uses and take it easy around them. other than that let'er rip. That's what I do whether I'm on my bike or in a car. Been doing it for more than 2 years. 0 tickets. It works, I promise. You just have to be alert.

dragginazz 04-07-2009 08:20 PM

Well, I don't know, I'm just going by what I read. I don't know if the Valentine will pick up lazer or just 1 of the other bands at 10 miles, but it is supposed to pick up lazer, and with any luck, your not the one being lazed it will be the car in front of you. unless of course your in site, of course he'll hit you before the car.
But yeah I do try to chill for the most part, but the cruisers are all over the place now, so it's tough.

Rod38um 04-07-2009 09:52 PM

The laser is not exactly "instant", it has to take at least 2 consecutive readings that are consistant in speed and reflection. Apparently this is more difficult than one would think, thats why you see them outside the car laying on the hood half the time, trying to be as steady as they can. As I understand, if the second reading it takes is not within range of the first, it takes a third. The key they say is to get the laser warning and cram on the brakes as fast as you can. How well this works??? IDK..... I do know I've been hit by laser while speeding, I reacted and didnt get a ticket but I have no idea if it was because I reacted or maybe they just wanted someone speeding more than me... who knows......
If I put one on a bike, it would be mounted in the front. Most times you get hit from the front or side. If you mount it on the swing arm then the bike would shade the detector from except on that one side......

skoobydoobie 04-07-2009 10:46 PM

Why do care if you get tagged from the back...If the pigs are behind you, then they are already coming to get you. Plus if they ARE behind you then at some point they WERE in front of you. With the technology they (piggies) have, most "detectors" are useless, what you want is a radar jamber that scrambles the signal. Or you can get some of that paint they used on the stealth bombers and paint your bike, then you'll be invisable.

TikkiTakki 04-09-2009 02:03 AM

Rod38um is right, skoobydoobie is wrong.

And at least here in PA, the state police are the only police allowed to have detectors and it is radar only, NO Laser!

So I would be interested in what you end up doing. I have a crappy cobra I purchased a few years back and was always looking at the Valentines. I have never had any problems with the Cobra, it picks up all radar I have come across and even sounded off for a laser hit when I was in Virginia(I know detectors are frowned upon there)