Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Quick Question About Rear Stands

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 12:29 PM
April 2011 Ride of the Month
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn straight lol

Old 01-15-2011, 02:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

here's mine that I made mostly out of scrap metal I had laying around from other projects.

To answer your question, the paddles are 13.5" off the ground measured the way the stand is sitting right there. in a straight line along the uprights they are 14", it gets the rear of the bike a couple of inches off the ground, no problems.

I'm about to change the paddles up to be welded to the end of the bolt - as it is right now, I have to wrap em in towels to keep from scratching the swingarm. Once I make the change, I can plasti-dip them.

I plan on powercoating the thing one of these days.

The casters came from Harbor Freight for bout $4 each.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:17 PM

thx junkie... for all the info... my is similar in design...

im using a tall triangle design,

made of 1" sq. steel...

cnc plasma cut

welded together

then im going to have a friend run it through his pc machine at work...

as for wheels im going to get some ball bearing roller blade wheels...

Old 01-17-2011, 01:39 PM

here is a crude mech. drawing of the stand

Old 01-17-2011, 01:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

spool or pad?

Old 01-17-2011, 02:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

one thing I'd suggest, and I plan on adding to mine soon: ( I actually really like this whole design better and have thought about making one like it to replace the current one I've built. )

instead of the handle sticking out the end, like most normal stands - move it to the side of the stand, and maybe even a removable shaft that fits into a receptacle (kinda like the handle on a bottle jack).

this design allows you to stand alongside the bike as you lift it off the side stand and it stands up for your spool to hit the other side. When lowering the bike back down, you will be next to it instead of behind it, should your sidestand decide to start folding up, or something similar, you'll be in a position to catch the bike before it goes over.

Along the idea of how the handle is on this stand - but in your design it would need to extend roughly level when your stand is placed into position, and you would lift up to raise the bike into position.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duHkD...layer_embedded

Old 01-17-2011, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by PlayfulGod
spool or pad?
im thinking pad (but when i say pad, it will most likely be two bolts with foam padding wrapped around them) ... since the 929 doesn't have holes for spools and i dont feel like having any welded on...

Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky
one thing I'd suggest, and I plan on adding to mine soon: ( I actually really like this whole design better and have thought about making one like it to replace the current one I've built. )

instead of the handle sticking out the end, like most normal stands - move it to the side of the stand, and maybe even a removable shaft that fits into a receptacle (kinda like the handle on a bottle jack).

this design allows you to stand alongside the bike as you lift it off the side stand and it stands up for your spool to hit the other side. When lowering the bike back down, you will be next to it instead of behind it, should your sidestand decide to start folding up, or something similar, you'll be in a position to catch the bike before it goes over.

Along the idea of how the handle is on this stand - but in your design it would need to extend roughly level when your stand is placed into position, and you would lift up to raise the bike into position.
thx for the suggestions and tips junkie

Old 01-18-2011, 06:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CBRfenatic93
Check these out. They arent that bad and are pretty cheap plus they roll around. haha

http://www.harborfreight.com/low-pro...and-99701.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...and-66192.html

Ive had both. I like the second one and it also has an attachment so you can use it to lift the front as well. Plus harbor freight always has about 10-20% off coupons.
+1 for the harbor freight stands. I took this picture a few days ago on mine.

Attached Thumbnails Quick Question About Rear Stands-dscn0126.jpg