Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Quetion. Selling my bike

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 08:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quetion. Selling my bike

Hey guys I'd like to ask your advice on selling. My major issue is with letting any Joe Shmo test ride my bike. I only have liability so if they drop it, I'm screwed. What is the best way to deal with this issue? Thanks in advance.

BTW, if anyone is interested it is a 2000 CBR 929RR. Full two brothers exhaust, frame sliders, integrated turn signals in the rear, flush mounts in the front, and thats about all I can think of. 18k miles.

Old 11-22-2006, 08:57 PM
Default RE: Quetion. Selling my bike

I dont think you should let no one ride the bike at all. unles they give you some money in return, cause they are getting a free ride...anyways how much are you selling it for???

Old 11-22-2006, 09:08 PM

Yeah but who's going to buy a bike they've never ridden? I wouldn't. When I was shopping for bikes most ppl just let me take them for a spin. Its nerve wrecking though. I was thinking of having them sign something, taking responsibility for damages.

I'm sellin it for about $5k. Maybe a little more.

Old 11-22-2006, 09:17 PM

ive bought/sold 3 bikes. NEVER did i test ride or let test ride before the FULL asking price (cash) was in my hand. put the cash in my hand and you can go for a ride. if unhappy with the bike, give the cash back. but only if the bike came back to you as it left your possesion. and test rides are 20 miles MAX. you know if a bike is good within 20 miles anyway.

Old 11-22-2006, 09:37 PM

ORIGINAL: 97f3rider

ive bought/sold 3 bikes. NEVER did i test ride or let test ride before the FULL asking price (cash) was in my hand. put the cash in my hand and you can go for a ride. if unhappy with the bike, give the cash back. but only if the bike came back to you as it left your possesion. and test rides are 20 miles MAX. you know if a bike is good within 20 miles anyway.
Hmmm. Thats what one guy told me when I went to look at his bike, but I wasn't going to make him an offer without knowing what the bike was like at all because I had never ridden that particular bike before. Other than that it sounds like a pretty good method. Is that pretty much the standard?

Old 11-22-2006, 09:42 PM

no cash, no test rides. bikes are not like selling a used car. any shmo can walk into an auto dealership and "want" to go for a test ride. now a bike is a whole nother story.

Old 11-22-2006, 10:20 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

yea man all you have to say is no test rides without cash in hand.. most people will understand this. the one si dont understand is the people who say no rides without your m1 . i dont have my m1 but have apermit just havent taken the msf course yet. but if i have cash in hand for the full asking price why do you care if i have my M1. anyways flyinb501 that is a gorgeous bike ! i know what its like to have to sell your bike it sucks ! good luck with teh sale and i hop eyou get back on 2 wheels soon !

Old 11-22-2006, 10:43 PM

I'd refrain from showing potential buyers you doing a wheelie...

Old 11-22-2006, 10:49 PM
Retired Moderator

No cash, no ride! You should have many interested parties, and there will be plenty of qualified buyers to chose from. I wouldn't expect to ride unless I had the payment in advance. Any reasonable party should understand that.

Old 11-22-2006, 11:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup...said before...cash in hand or no ride...

this saves you from any hassles...also remember that dude that let someone test ride and the guy took off with his bike?

usually, there are no test rides...just like the dealers...no test rides.

Quick Reply: Quetion. Selling my bike