Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

questions involving police?

Old 01-28-2009, 11:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default questions involving police?

i have a few questions that all go together so im going to make it in one post.

1st... i know youtube is just videos and just a small amount of riders that are actually out there, but how do these guys get away with a 10 min video racing through traffic at 130 plus mph the entire way without being stopped? you would think someone would call or eventually down the road should be a state police driving on the other side.

2nd... i feel like it is more likely for police to pick on sportbike riders for the simple fact that stereotype has us labeled as reckless riders, just because there on a 1000cc machine they automatically imply we are going to do something against the road rules. has anyone been stopped for minor things on there bike? reving at a light, excessive exceleration, leaning a turn to far, ect?

3rd... how the HELL do people keep there bikes and license after being stopped for stunting, or doing 50 over the speed limit? i have seen so many stunt videos that take place on public roads and highways. how do these people continue riding a bike let alone keep there license?

last... what is the proper way to deal with police? say you get pulled over, maybe you were blasting down the freeway or just poppin up the front a little at a light. do you sit on the bike and wait for them to approach you? or do you take off your helmet, get off the bike and get out your information? i have heard many opinions but what is the correct way to deal with it? how bout if the cop is having a bad day and trys to elaborate some kind of story convincing you that you broke more laws then you really did?

those are my questions, i just want them cleared up because i feel like me being on a bike around police is the same as me walking around at night in a bad city. seems like they keep a close eye and wait for any chance to nail us.

maybe im just stereotyping police and am wrong about all this but thats just how i feel.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:20 PM

1) yes people do call, but its hard to catch people going that fast because by the time the call gets in and over the radio and the police respond they are at least 10 miles down the road, and probably got off the interstate. I have been pulled over with 3 other riders because of reports that 4 sport bikes were splitting lanes going 120. as we sat there and got lectured 4 liter bikes went flying by.

2) other then that time all the times i have been messed with by the cops i was doing something wrong. so yeah we get a bad wrap, but I haven't seen to much over the top biased my self.

3) laws in FL are very harsh now, 1st offense => $1000, 2nd $2000 (i think) 3rd $3000 and you loose your bike and motorcycle endorsement for something like 10 years.

i think laws like that are overly harsh and to broad. my reason for this is that you can be doing a wheelie at the speed limit on an empty road or in a parking lot and you will treated the same as if you were in rush hour traffic.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:25 PM

Well Ill address the last question first. When I was pulled over just for a speeding ticket, I just sat on my bike and shut it off until he approached me. I left my helmet on until he asked me for reg and proof of insurance, so I then had to get off my bike, took off my helmet and got my information. Just follow their lead and be respectful. They are people too and everyone deserves respect and it looks good on your part and makes their job easier.

To answer your first question there is no known reason why those people arent being stopped by police but they are idiots and should take it to the track.

I thought cops would come after me more so because I am on a sportbike but that hasnot been the case. Aslong as you abide by the laws of the road you should not have a problem and they wont pull you over for just riding a sportbike. They will yell and any jerk revving at a red light.

Also it depends on their driving record and I do not know people that get pulled over for stunting on the highway but I would imagine they would just get a ticket for speeding(if they were) and wreckless driving. Im not sure what else.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:28 PM

oh and dealing with cops, here the best way is to, shut off your bike, take off your helmet and stay on the bike, maybe with the kick stand down. and keep yours hands visible.

the reason for this is so they can see your face and make eye contact easier. you also seem friendlier with the helmet off. the bike is shut off so its harder for you run, which makes them more relaxed, and you being on the bike still makes you less of a threat because you are in an awkward position to try anything stupid or threatening. same goes with the hands visible, it makes the cop feel safer.

and be VERY polite. if the cop ends up being a dick, stay polite, if you start mouthing off it will only make it worse, and if you take it to court you want to seem as professional as possible.

Talking you way out of tickets is all about not pissing them off. less is more, if you start trying to bull**** you way out of it they will see right through it and give you one.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:00 PM

The one time I got pulled over I took off the helmet and stood beside my bike until he came up and asked for registration. Only got a warning...was lucky the guy rode bikes too

Old 01-28-2009, 02:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alloutf4i
The one time I got pulled over I took off the helmet and stood beside my bike until he came up and asked for registration. Only got a warning...was lucky the guy rode bikes too
agreed. chances r better if u cooperate...

Old 01-28-2009, 03:26 PM

I've seen the stuff on Youtube about guys stunting on their bikes, but I have also seen enough of them when they loose it & dump $$$$'s worth of bike (plus themselves) on the road, some with very graphic reminders of why its not cool, which to me just confirms their 'Wanka' status. I think that youtube actually encourages these types & its not just bikes, there are plenty of vids out there featuring all sorts of retardation, everyone wants their 15 minutes.
Some locations are worse for this type of behavior, every Sunday arvo, the local foreshore gets packed with young 'Dudes' in their supposedly hot cars, they pose in the typical 'Look at me' way, then after the sun goes down they start doing burn outs etc. The cops of course are just waiting near by to pounce & yet it happens every Sunday.

As for being singled out by the cops? well once I was going to work on the freeway, just going with the traffic (which meant we were all speeding) & I got pulled over by a cop & booked. I have also been subjected to: An illegal search at the side of the road by two cops looking god knows wot, Detained for nearly an hour at a random breath test unit while they did a complete check on my bike & me, this included a not to subtle interrogation by the police while I waited on the 'Bus'. No other driver was subjected to this while I was there.
As for behavior? I am always respectful, even when be given a ticket, if it is however an unfair or just wrong citation, then this is the best time to take mental notes of the all details of the incident (time, location, sign posting & if your game, the officers name, cos they only scrawl their signature so it can't be read). Write it all down ASAP & take it court.
I do have a bit of insight into my state police, my step father was a detective sergeant & a ***** of a man.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
I have a pretty ordinary attitude where it comes to traffic cops as most that have read some of my raves about them would know ....but I think the case that you mention in your reply Pace , would be the exception and not the norm ....

I certainly do not hold with the belief that sport bike riders are singled out and get a raw deal , or at least any worse than other road users ..
Steve, I should also mention that the bike club I belong to (The Blueliners) was formed & is run by current & ex police: http://blueliners.com.au/wp/
I don't hold any malice towards cops, some are very reasonable blokes & once you get past their veneer of "arms length" are just like everyone else.
I should also mention that all the stuff that happened to me was in the 70's & 80's & the attitude toward "bikers" was some what different, anyone on a bike was put up by society as probably bad. You only have to look at the way we where represented in the media at the time (movies, TV, commercials that sort of thing) & unfortunately a reprobate on a Harley looked no different from a reprobate on Honda postie bike.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: questions involving police?