Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Question for you guys in the Military.

Old 11-09-2005, 02:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for you guys in the Military.

I'm 18, a Senior in Highschool. I have been thinking about what I am going to do for the rest of my life. The decisions that I make now, are crucial. I'm thinking about dropping out of Highschool because I'm not doing so great anyways. Get my GED, attend my local Community College, get my AA and join the Navy. While I'm in the Navy, maybe I can persue my degree to a BA. I have been really looking forward to joining the Military, and fighting for my country.

The reason why I make this thread is, I want advice. Is/Has anyone else been in the same situation I am? Do you guys think this is a good idea? I just need some first hand advice. I have my whole life in my hands right now. The choice I make now, will affect where I will be in 10 years, and I want to be successful and happy in 10 years!

Old 11-09-2005, 02:37 PM
Retired Administrator
Default RE: Question for you guys in the Military.

While I cannot agree with you to drop out of high school, I can commend you for the thought you are putting into your future. If at all possible, finish high school, I know it’s a pain but it will pay off more than a GED will on applications. I’m seven + years into the Navy right now finishing my associates in computer network systems. I’ll be out in June of next year and looking for a new job. First off, the military isn’t for everyone. The Navy is downsizing every day, more and more. For example, I’m on shore duty right now (this is the only real chance you have to attend college, you can’t do it while at sea) .. anyways, the class of ship I was on, cruiser, went from a shop of 20 personnel to 6. We were busy all the time… WTF. They are leaning more towards contracting work out and letting the crews focus on drills and running the ship. This works good until you are a few thousands mile from nowhere and the ship breaks. Tell me more about what you want to do in the Navy and I’ll give you my honest opinion. I’m not anti-Navy and I’m not a recruiter type, so I don’t care which way you go, I’ll just make sure you have some good facts.

Old 11-09-2005, 04:24 PM

I'm on the same boat, or was...
I finished H/S and did four years of Community College. During those four years, I jumped from one field to the next. I just couldnt make up my mine. Frustrated with my inability to focus on school and working part time... I made the decision to join the AF (I'm approaching my two year mark in service) my plan is to do couple years in uniform, get out and use my Montgomery GI Bill and head back to college.
It is true, the military is not for everyone...Both the Navy and AF are force shaping--getting people out. There are day when I regret
joining the miliary...but I am glad that I chose to go to school first, then joined the AF. First off, you get paid more with college credits; second, you will get promoted faster; third, you will have no or lesser regrets of not going to college after H/S...the list goes on.
I would recommend you finish H/S, attempt college for couple semesters/years, then make your decision. That way you could also
enjoy some college fun...

Old 11-09-2005, 05:10 PM

Heh. Here comes my experiance. I dropped out when i was 18 never got my ged and i joined when i was 21. been in 4 yrs, im up for shore duty now . which is the only way your gonna be able to attend school. Im an Airdale i work on helo's and i see the boat way more then i want to. good ole Harry S Truman. Im putting in another 4 yrs just so i can go to school. and i agree the Navys not for everybody but i feel everyone should put in 4 yrs in any branch. advice i can give is look at all your options and if you do choose the Navy good on ya. just dont pick AM as a rate. its overmanned and advancement sucks. oh yeah .... Stay in school and say no to drugs.

Old 11-09-2005, 07:07 PM
Retired Administrator

I agree with blackfly. Except for the don't pick the AM rate. Tell us what you like to do and some of your interest and we can recommend a rate. I hate my rate and he seems to hate his... but you might like them. Here is something to think about, I have a map on the wall with a red stick pin in every country around the world I've been to. It's nice, I've seen a lot of things I never dreamed I would have. But... I left my ship as it was leaving for another six month deployment. When it returned a couple guys came by my house to pick up their cars (yes I was nice enough to car sit for over 8 months) and told me about the cruise. Two stops... one 5 day port and one 2 day port. With the way things are now, you don't get to stop and take in the sights like we did in the past. Just something to think about.

Old 11-10-2005, 01:18 AM

Bro stay in school, it will be the biggest and most important thing you will ever accomplish.EVER. You only have to do it once. I did finish high school and went to college and did Micro Computer Business Accounting, after I graduated I went on and joined the infantry????????At least that way if anything happens I have something to fall back on.

Old 11-10-2005, 06:39 AM

hey man i was in the same boat you are. i am a military brat and spent my last three years of high school in Alaska. i had that little bad@$$ attitude to where i didnt care about school or what i did with my life. but i realized it was time to grow up and i decided to focus on graduating and then joined the air force a couple of months later. now i am going on my second year in the service and i dont regret a thing. oh and i got married before i left for basic training. man the military will pay for your food, put clothes on your back, give you a bed to sleep in, pay for your school and move you around the world. what more could you ask for in life. but like the other guys said, the military is not for everyone. i love it and i will make a career out of it. dont stress it man there are a lot of options out there for you, just choose what you think will be best for you and what you will be happy with. you dont want to live your life in regret because of stupid choices you made. good luck man

Old 11-10-2005, 10:48 AM

If I got my GED, and went into college and got my AA or BA, would that change my ranking for not having a highschool diploma? A GED is considered a Highschool diploma though..It would be different if I were doing alright in Highschool, but I'm really not. I ****ed up my Freshmen and Sophomore years, thinking I was a little badass in Highschool and worried more about my reputation rather than my school work and grades. I know I'm going to regret this in the future when I have to tell my kids that I didn't graduate from Highschool. As long as I make something out of my life, I think that is considered successful. So my question is, if I were to drop out right now, get my GED, get my AA/BA and join the military, would it be any different from graduating from Highschool, getting my AA/BA, and then joining the military?

Old 11-10-2005, 12:19 PM
Retired Administrator

No, if you have a GED or high school diploma with a degree, you will advance the same either way. I never thought to ask, are you planning on enlisting or trying for a commission? Tell us more about your plans.

You really shouldn’t see a difference with a GED or High School diploma in the military. If you’re making a career out of it, you might in the long run. Chiefs and officers are advanced with selection boards. Your peers sit on a board and make the decision on who advances based on their service record. When they are looking at two records that have everything the same, except one has a GED and the other finished the assigned task of high school…. Which one is the silver spoon fed, master degree having, never worked or got his hands dirty a day in life... bastard going to pick? I personally believe you’re right. If you drop out, but get your GED and college education, all it shows was that high school didn’t work for you. But you know how society is.

Old 11-10-2005, 07:58 PM

Alright, I think I have made my decision on what I want to do to start my life. I'm going to stick it out for 4 more months, work hard, and graduate. It's the best thing to do. Regardless I only have one opportunity to pass Highschool, and now is the time. I don't want to look back when I am older and realize that I am a failure, and have to tell my kids that I didn't even graduate Highschool. Right now it seems like it's the easy thing to do, but later down the road I will only be hurting myself. I just have to lift my head up and get through this. After I graduate though, the first thing I'm doing is going to the Navy! It's all I think about. After I get caught up with school, a friend and I will be doing Seal training to get prepared. Thanks for all of your advice guys, it helped a lot!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question for you guys in the Military.