Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

quad advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 11:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quad advice

I have never owned a quad but I want to get into it. Might as way branch out on my motorsports. But Im not really sure on whats a good somewhat current 4-wheeler to buy. Thinking a 400ex but im open to any suggestions.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:50 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Strange place to ask people about quads ?
A motorcycle forum ???

Old 05-14-2010, 11:53 AM

yeah i know but I figured alot of people here probably ride quads too + i put it in the "off-topic" section

Last edited by daniels; 05-14-2010 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:07 PM

Grand Rapids, WI?

My wife and I have a pair of 400EX and we love them! They can go thru a lot and being air cooled, they are super simple. Just try to steer away from looking at quads that have had engine work (oversized piston), after that factory seal is broke I think the Honda quality leaks out sum. They are plentiful and tons of parts around for them too

Old 05-14-2010, 12:15 PM

nope grand rapids michigan. yeah my buddy had a 400ex and i had a blast on it so i've been leaning towards getting that. Really can't wait to hit up some trails this summer. I heard the newer honda's have a reverse which will be a must

Old 05-14-2010, 12:27 PM

Yeah, the newer 450r looking 400EX have reverse I believe. I never find a need for it, just keep the throttle open and go! LOL

Old 05-14-2010, 01:05 PM

I found a 08 honda TRx700 for 4 grand. fell in love right then and there. never rode one but looks like it would be a blast. Not that i plan on spending thaaaaat much.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:19 PM
Official Welcome Crew Redneck

I've had 2 raptors... a 450 and a 700. Buddy also has 2 700r raptors. Awesome quads. Plenty of power!! Neither of us have any problems at all

Old 05-14-2010, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Fearless4x4
I've had 2 raptors... a 450 and a 700. Buddy also has 2 700r raptors. Awesome quads. Plenty of power!! Neither of us have any problems at all
A couple of raptors and no problems?..I've always steered Clear of the raptors cuz they were rumored to be notorious for problems. At least the older ones anyway. never owned one, so I'll take your word!
I used to ride a lot, if I were to get another one I would definatley go for electric start, and reverse. I don't know how many times i got stuck in some huge mud puddle and had to get off into the mud to un-stuck myself, lol! Then again we were always brutal on our machines, trying to go over trees that were still standing,(doesn't really work out too well) and whatever else to stay OFF the trails lol!

Old 05-14-2010, 03:22 PM

I think it depends on what you want. if its an all out sports quad, a 450R would be a great quad. If you don't mind tinkering, an older 250R or a Banshee would be a great quad as well. But, if you want to just hop on and go, I'd stick with a newer 450R. But if money is tight, Banshee's are everywhere are can be had pretty cheap. Plus, they didnt change anything on them for as long as there were out, so just about any year part is interchangable. It makes for a huge aftermarket. And do be honest, I still love the smell and sound of a 2-stroke. But, the 400 ex is not a bad ride either. A little underpowered, but pretty solid.

If you want an all around great quad, one that will do everything well, but nothing great, get a Raptor. They are best suited for dunes and woods. They got a really bad rap because people bought them for things they werent intended for. People automatically thought since it was a bigger bore, it would be faster than anything. Then, The 450's would beat up on them on a track.

If you want something for mudd'n, or deep woods riding, get a 4x4. They have some awesome big quads now that are pretty fast for 4x4's.

Just be honest with what you truly want and whats the most type of riding you'll be doing. If you plan to do jumps, and hardpack, little sand dunes... get a 450r. If your mainly going with dunes and woods, buy a Raptor.

Quick Reply: quad advice