Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Puppy Training...

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007 | 01:08 AM
Default RE: Puppy Training...

Yeah, Shock's .02 goes a long way. I'm no expert, and it took weeks and weeks to potty train my Chihuahua, but when I got Bruce the Rott, it literally took no more than ten days for him to get it. It seems like the more willing you are to establish the right leadership bond with a dog, the more eager they are to please you as the pack leader by following the rules. Exercise and walking together too, really has a noticeable affect on the speed and quality of that bond.

Old 11-03-2007 | 02:49 AM
Retired Moderator

My pup that I just got today (I'm exhausted) pee's outside, but loves to take a big deuce right on the front living-room rug. Smelled horrible, and will probably end up burning the house down, there's so many scented candles in here!

I just grab them by the scruff of their neck (usually gets their attention), take them over to the "OMG! I can't believe that came out of a small puppy" s**t, stick their nose right next to it (I'm talking RIGHT up against it), yell "NO! Bad Dog!" And I'll usually swat them on the butt. They tuck their tails and run off, but you got to stay strong. That's how they'll learn. (unless your that dude on NatGeo that can train a dog 100% by just stepping in the damn house)

I also picked up those training pads that you set by the back door that "attracts" a dog to s**t and pee on it. They must smell like my living room rug.

Old 11-03-2007 | 04:18 AM

You and your family are doing great Voodoo! Just make sure that when you do take the lil guy out, make sure that he drops a load or waters something before you take him back inside. I'm not a big "puppy pad" fan. I mean, they may work for some people (props for those who do get them to work for em')...they may go on the pad but once they get used to the pads either A) You're going to be spending alot of money on pads B) They're going to be used to the pads so when you try to "house break" them (taking them out to potty) they're going to be like "WTF, where's my damn pad at?" and it'll just confuse them to death. You mentioned earlier "Can you imagine spanking a 6 month old baby for pooping..."...you're right, just look how long it takes children to learn how to use the potty...Just as Spirit, yourself, I and a few others said, you just have to be patient with the lil guy. Hell, it may take a year (1 year old is when they're considered "Adults"), I hope it doesn't take that long but I'm sure that he'll learn fairly easy. Like Spirit said, whatever you do, even if you're reaaally pissed at him, NEVER yell at him or hit him. Keep us UTD on the progress!

Old 11-03-2007 | 04:30 AM

God almighty, lets make this simple, pup drinks water, will need to pee, pups pee about every 20-30 minutes (they don't have a developed bladder control yet). Pup eats, will need to go pretty much after it finishes.
Get into the habit of taking him outside when he eats or drinks (make it the same place), when he does wot you want him to do, say "Good Boy" make a big deal out of it, he will pick up on this. Next thing "Do not ever, ever, punish your dog for going inside" Its cruel & a complete waste of time, by the time you spot it, he's already forgotten wot he's done, & he's just going to think your a cruel bastard. Until he works out a routine, look for signs that he's trying to tell you it time to "go". He's a small dog & if you have a secure yard, get a pet door. Want to get rid of doggy urine smell?? Half a bucket of water to 1 cup of white vinegar, it breaks neutralises the Uric Acid (which forms from urine) & also helps in stopping him peeing in the same spot all the time.
As for training pads, sorry people, wot the f**k are you thinking, would be the most uncomfortable thing for a dog, smelly & ...............!!!! It only takes a little while for your dog to get the idea.

Old 11-03-2007 | 08:21 AM
Banned

His name is Buddy
Buddy and Max are the two most popular dogs names.

Old 11-03-2007 | 10:04 AM

My wife and I are all about the POSITIVE ways to train a pup. Its all about using some love and affection, but at the same time they (the pups) know who's "ALPHA MALE" in the house NO violance towards the pups, that just out right scares em and makes em afraid of you [&o]you don't want a dog who's afraid of you cuz you hit or yell at it, its gona cower or run from you when you go to pick it up to either play with or take it out side to do its biz. Gota remember how big you look to a pup.... and to qoute Ceaser from the "Dog Whisperer" "There are NO bad dogs, just Bad owners " Great lookin pup there voodoo !!!!!!!!!!! he definatly looks like a chick magnate [sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 11-03-2007 | 12:59 PM

ORIGINAL: city worker

"There are NO bad dogs, just Bad owners "
Yeah right.

Old 11-03-2007 | 03:51 PM

I got "Boomer" housebroken in about a day and a half. all i did was take him out a short ehile after eating and drinking as well as after playing. Also we have a little routine going right now. We go outside before i go to work, when i get home and right before bed time. I also give him some treats after doin his duty.

Old 11-03-2007 | 04:04 PM

had my dog trained in less than a week...let him out every 2 hours, and if he did go in house, would put nose right next to it and tell him no....and congradulate him when he goes outside.....he was trained very fast...unlike with using pee pads

Old 11-03-2007 | 07:54 PM

ORIGINAL: Wildcat

ORIGINAL: city worker

"There are NO bad dogs, just Bad owners "
Yeah right.

If you mean 'yes, that is true', then you are correct. If, however, you mean 'no, that is not true', then you are as wrong as a bad pet owner. Domesticated dogs are not born with behavioral or emotional perplexities like humans. Dogs do have simple needs, and when people fail them, or abuse and neglect them, it's anybody's guess what could happen. How would you react to being tied up in a small yard your whole life, with no exercise, discipline, or affection? I am firmly of the belief that a 'problem' dog was not born that way, but made into a problem by a human. It's a function of their connection with us, since it is so close, they are more vulnerable to the bad side of people than other animals.

Quick Reply: Puppy Training...