Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Is it possible that FOG is more annoying than Rain???

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 09:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is it possible that FOG is more annoying than Rain???

So this morning, I head out to my bike to go to work and just as I open the garage I realize it's like Pea Soup outside... I figure I will just make sure my high beams are on and pay extra attention. How bad could it be, right? Definitely not worse than rain... or was it?

In the end, I ended up pulling over 3 times during the hour ride to work, to completely wipe off and dry my visor. It was really weird, not like rain at all... the fog left a layer of condensation on my visor that would NOT blow off... and since it was chilly it wouldn't dry and go away. So the misty visor plus the fog itself... that was a little too much vision impairment, hence the stopping.

I actually rode a good distance with my visor up... luckily I am a glasses wearer so I could still see and those didn't get coated like the visor.

I think Rain-x will solve this, and I do know it's known to yellow a visor over time, but I think I can handle buying a new one every so often to be able to see in all weather.

Anyone else have issues with FOG?

Old 08-07-2013, 10:41 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jmeekman
Anyone else have issues with FOG?
Absolutely. I've already had to deal with a foggy ride to work one day this week. On the lower speed side roads I rode with my visor up. Once I got onto the highway I had to wipe my visor off every few minutes as I rode. That, plus the fact that I have a dark smoke visor currently installed and at 5:45am the sun was just coming up made things harder to see on a dark, cloudy morning.

I'd rather ride int he rain as far as being able to see better, although I don't like what the rain does to my clothing if I'm riding in it on my way to work.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:31 AM

At least rain rolls off, fog is like a clingy ex girl friend lol

Old 08-07-2013, 06:20 PM

I had the same problem the other morning on the way into work. Worst fog i have ever experienced. I leave at 4:30am and it takes me about an hour to get there. Real dense fog on my favorite country road to work, needless to say I was wiping my visor almost every 30 secs. Between that and the gravel that's been washed onto the road from all our heavy rains here in NC I was more focused than ever. Probably the most nerve racking ride I've had in any weather condition. For what it matters I have a Shoei GT-Air, great helmet but fogs like the dickens. It comes with the pin lock system to prevent that and I was using it until one morning other than the time mentioned I hit fog and the moisture got between the pin lock visor and main visor, no wiping or clearing of that what so ever until a dry non-fog area when it would clear on its own then more fog and right back to no vision. Talk about a little scary in the dark at 4:30am. Took it out once I got to work and I doubt I'll ever install it again after that.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by jmeekman
my high beams are on
definitely a bad idea, high beams in fog makes it harder to see.
but ive only ever ridden in light fog, so i cant really agree or disagree, but i can see how it would compare to rain.
either way id rather ride in light fog, compared to light rain.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by sjona2011
definitely a bad idea, high beams in fog makes it harder to see.
Yeah, in the dark you are 100% correct. But it was already daylight when I was leaving, so the high beams didn't affect my vision and my goal in using them was actually to "be seen" better rather than to see better.

Side note on this topic (not aimed at you sjona, you just brought it to mind)... It's a HUGE pet peeve of mine when drivers refuse to turn on their lights in the fog or rain, just because it's daytime. Many don't understand that vehicle lights are not just for them to see, but for others to see them... Drives me bonkers