Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.
View Poll Results: Would you do recreational track days on a limited edition bike?
Hell yes!
76.47%
Hell no!
23.53%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

(Poll) Would you track a limited edition bike?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 06:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default (Poll) Would you track a limited edition bike?

Ok my HP4 is sitting at the dealership awaiting prep. Yes, I'm extremely excited. Almost to the point of taking off till Monday (the day I can pick her up) and sleeping till then

But I was browsing the Ducati forums (yes, I browse a lot of motorcycle forums) and they asked if you'd track a Panigale. Untimed events are covered by my insurance so I'm not worried about damage. My concern is the HP4s are limited editions. How limited nobody knows. But the productoon run is so limited that if someone wanted to buy one today, you'd not get it until 2014.

So despite having full coverage, if she got totaled I would not get another HP4 until 2014... if ever. So... would you risk it? And what's your reasons behind your choice?

Old 04-02-2013, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

i'm neither a hell no nor yes... while i personally would probably not, that only has to do with my own personal habits or whatever. i don't have any of the "oh, you shouldn't risk ruining a limited edition" qualms -- do what you want. in fact, these machines are probably better suited to life on the track anyway (and might even be statistically safer there, away from the grandmas, gravel spills and texting teens); may as well enjoy them for what they're good for.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i definitely would, bikes like your s1000 and the panigale are more or less race bikes with headlights and turn signals. i wouldnt say it would be a waste of a bike to only use it for the street, but in doing so you would be missing out on one hell of an experience.

i completely understand your concern if you were to wreck it, hell id be crushed if i wrecked my f3, but in my eyes the risk is well worth the reward.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:41 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would take your HP4 to the track and wreck the living hell out of it. Is that what you're asking?

Old 04-02-2013, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
I would take your HP4 to the track and wreck the living hell out of it. Is that what you're asking?
Nope, you ain't getting near her

Seriously tho, any manufacturer? Let's skip the exotic names. What if Honda put out a limited numbered RC series next year? If you bought it would you track it?

Having low sided Yolie and cracking her frame, I'm positive my insurer will attempt to repair anything short of an explosion. But that was a low side at street speeds.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:27 PM

Take a class with a track day school like Yamaha school of champions or California superbike school where you don't have to risk your own bike then make your decision.

No matter whether it's a car or a bike or a skateboard.. I don't believe in garage queens. Did you really get a bike with the most sophisticated OEM suspension so you could have it adjust itself to Philadelphia potholes?

Old 04-02-2013, 08:52 PM

Well lord knows BMW might wanna data dump from the ecu to see how well the suspension faired

Yes, I love my bikes but I'm also realistic anout them being machines. I'm still looking at doing TC: ARC. Given CSS doesn't allow using my own bike at the 2 day camp, the single day classes also became a very real possibility this year too (don't have to fork over $2k). And you stll have to show me some roads

Old 04-02-2013, 09:04 PM
Administrator - Retired

It's all a matter of money, imo. If you're an average joe, would you risk your 'limited' bike at the track? Would you push it?
You would if you were a millionaire. Why the hell not?
I probably wouldn't, but I'm not sure I'd buy one in the first place. I'd just buy a much cheaper bike like an SV or older honda or something and push it all I like. I don't give a **** if it's a "limited" bike per se, but they usually cost more so I may be thinking about the extra couple grand I put into some bs and carbon fiber bits.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:13 PM

With insurance it's not a matter of money truly. Insurance will cover it and no way I'm rolling off the lot without gap coverage.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:34 PM
Administrator - Retired

Well then, if you're asking if I care that it's a "limited quantity" bike, then no... I don't care at all.
But if I claim an expensive loss on my insurance, then maybe?

I really don't care about wrecking it, to be honest. lol...

Quick Reply: (Poll) Would you track a limited edition bike?