Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Paddle shifted bike?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 09:09 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paddle shifted bike?

The FXX thread got me wondering why you would want a sports car with paddle shift. Since sportbikes are somewhat analagous to sports cars and it seems to be socially acceptable to have a paddle shift in a sports car...

Would anyone want to have a F1 style clutchless manual on their bike instead of the old fashioned way that God intended?

Old 01-28-2008, 09:16 AM
Default RE: Paddle shifted bike?

If you know your bike well enough, you don't need to use the clutch all the time anyway.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:20 AM
VP

Yamaja has the FJ1300 (I think that's what its called) that is pretty much an automatic... most of the people who ride it were saying it is not that bad. I don't see myself riding one, but if you were on a drag bike I see the use for the air shifters... on the street it is pretty stupid though

Old 01-28-2008, 09:39 AM

I think the reason its more needed on F1 cars is A) room in the cockpit is extremely limited B) in a car, manual shifting requires one hand to be off the steering wheel to shift which means, while shifting, there is only one hand steering the car so the paddle shifters allow the drivers to keep both hands on the wheel

On a bike, the controlled by your foot so its doesn't affect the controlling of the motorcycle all that much with the exception of shifting mid-corner but the riders at that level are used to doing that anyway

Also, motorcycle racers and people involved in the sport are stubborn as hell. How long was it after 4 stroke superbikes and streetbikes were the standard that they replaced the 2 strokes in MotoGP?

I've been wanting to build a go-kart/small kit-car with a 1000cc V-twin engine and I had planned to use a Pingel electric shifter (up and down shifting) with buttons mounted on the steering wheel, seems like it'd be a hell of a lot easier to rig and operate plus a hell of a lot of fun

Old 01-28-2008, 12:10 PM

yes it does

Old 01-28-2008, 12:18 PM

stupid idea. I only use the clutch for first anyway. I barely ever use it to downshift unless im in a turn.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:26 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

I would only want it if it were strictly a 1/4 mile bike.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:32 PM

I like my clutch thanks. Like was said-for a drag bike it would not be bad, but for street is would suck IMO.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:52 AM

How does this paddle shifting work?

Old 01-29-2008, 09:40 AM

I'm voting absoluting not. Our clutches play a huge factor in traction and braking. Take that away and we could be screwed! ..lol

Plus i'd like to keep my other few fingers to be ready for the front brakes and clutch if need be, not on a paddle.

And for those that drag racing ... how would you slip a paddle shifter clutchwhen launching the bike at 8k off the tree? After that I'd see how you wouldn't need the clutch.

Uses 2 paddles,Left paddle Downshifts, Right paddle Upshifts which are matted to a sequential transmission unlike the old "H" style transmission. Pull both paddles in at the same time and the car will prompt the driver if they want to go into P, N, R. Through a series of sensors and factors such as A/C, ESP, and dash gauges; acpu helpsthe car determines the best timing and torque to engage the clutch using ahydro-mechanical linear actuator.

Quick Reply: Paddle shifted bike?