Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

The Other Movie Thread (Best Sleepers)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 07:58 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Other Movie Thread (Best Sleepers)

So there are plenty of "Best Movie" threads but I didn't see any on off the beaten track, sleeper, foreign, independent, etc.. "lessor known" films. Any favorites come to mind? I like the Big Budget ones but occasionally get in the mood for those oddball ones. I'll withhold the list some of my favorites to see if this thread sparks interest first (For Example, Seven Samurai, the original El Mariachi - the 1992 version not to be confused with 1995's "Desperdo", etc...). I'd like to see if anyone else has some top favorites that I haven't seen.

If possible, list the title, genre, and a brief description and what you liked about it.

Not necessarily a favorite or a sleeper, but what sparked this idea off was a movie I saw on the Sci-Fi channel last night which was oddly amusing even though I didn't expect it to be based on what I had read: "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy".

Old 01-13-2008, 08:04 PM
Retired Moderator
Default RE: The Other Movie Thread (Best Sleepers)

Reign Over me!!! Adam Sandler stars in the movie. A lot better than Punch Drunk Love, but he plays an amazing role. I highly recommend it to any and everyone.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:01 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Near Dark. Vampire movie, on cable alot.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:25 PM

I am not kidding. This is no joke. Great movie to put on in the garage while you're changing brake fluid...yup, yup!

Old 01-14-2008, 11:47 AM

ORIGINAL: Blue Fox

Reign Over me!!! Adam Sandler stars in the movie. A lot better than Punch Drunk Love, but he plays an amazing role. I highly recommend it to any and everyone.
i was gonna rent Reign over me until you used it in the same sentence and Punch drunk love. Punch drunk love is the first and only movie i have rented and sat down to watch and actually though tit was so bad i turned it off in the middle.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:12 PM
Retired Moderator

^^Good point H. Spirit, you have serious issues bro.

A few more to must sees:

- Seven Samurai

Unanimously hailed as one of the greatest masterpieces in the history of the motion picture, Seven Samurai has inspired countless films modeled after its basic premise. But Akira Kurosawa's classic 1954 action drama has never been surpassed in terms of sheer power of emotion, kinetic energy, and dynamic character development. The story is set in the 1600s, when the residents of a small Japanese village are seeking protection against repeated attacks by a band of marauding thieves. Offering mere handfuls of rice as payment, they hire seven unemployed "ronin" (masterless samurai), including a boastful swordsman (Toshiro Mifune) who is actually a farmer's son desperately seeking glory and acceptance. The samurai get acquainted with but remain distant from the villagers, knowing that their assignment may prove to be fatal. The climactic battle with the raiding thieves remains one of the most breathtaking sequences ever filmed. It's poetry in hyperactive motion and one of Kurosawa's crowning cinematic achievements. This is not a film that can be well served by any synopsis; it must be seen to be appreciated (accept nothing less than its complete 203-minute version) and belongs on the short list of any definitive home-video library. --Jeff Shannon

Product Description
A desperate village hires seven samurai to protect it from marauders in this crown jewel of Japanese cinema. No other film so seamlessly weaves philosophy and entertainment, delicate human emotions and relentless action. Featuring Japan's legendary star, the great Toshiro Mifune, Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai is an inspired epic a triumph of art, and an unforgettable three-hour ride.
- 12 Angry Men

Made for cable television remake of the 1957 classic about eleven jurors quick to condemn a Latino youth on trial for murdering his father before reviewing the evidence. Juror #8 holds out with a verdict of not guilty, thus setting the stage for arguments and reasons why or why not the boy may be guilty. Written by Humberto Amador
Won Golden Globe. Another 3 wins & 11 nominations...
- Midnight Express

Tagline: A true story of triumph.
Plot Outline Story of a man who is caught smuggling drugs out of Turkey and thrown into prison. Inspired from and dramatized upon a true event.
Plot Synopsis: Billy Hayes is caught attempting to smuggle drugs out of Turkey. The Turkish courts decide to make an example of him, sentencing him to more than 30 years in prison. Hayes has two opportunities for release: the appeals made by his lawyer, his family, and the American government, or the "Midnight Express".

more to come ...