Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Opinions? Would you take this deal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 01:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions? Would you take this deal?

Hey all,
I've been working on a dairy farm for 4, going on 5 years now. Yeah the work sucks but I work with some of the nicest and funnest people I've ever met, and it would be hard to find something I enjoy more. I'm also going to school full time, but I'll be taking the summer off. Last summer and all winter I ended up working there 50-60hrs a week because of health issues with some other employees, which meant quite a bit of overtime pay.

Well now that things have settled down a little bit they've reduced my hours to around 35/week. The reason being that it was cheaper for my employer to hire another person than it was to pay me that much overtime. Makes sense for the business but it kind of sucks because I could really use the extra money.

So yesterday I was talking to my boss and he offered this idea. He said that he could keep me busy all summer with 40hrs/week. He could also give me as many extra hours as I wanted but those hours would roll over to the next week.

For example, if I worked 50hrs this week I would only get payed for 40. Lets say the next week I wanted a day off so I only worked 30 hours. I would still get payed for a full 40 because the extra 10 would be added from the week before. This would be nice because when I start school again in the fall because I would still be getting a 40hr paycheck even if I'm only working part time.

He also said that if I wanted to find another part time job that he would work around my schedule. This would work out great because right now I start work at 3:30am and I'm done with morning chores by 7:30am and I head home. Then head back to work from 3:00 to 7:00pm. So during the day from 8:00 to 3 I'm just kind of sitting around. It'd be great to find some work during those hours.

I mentioned this plan to my dad and he got all bent out of shape and told me that my boss was screwing me. I don't really see it that way. What do you think?

Sorry for the long post I'm just thinkng out loud here.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:53 PM
April 2011 Ride of the Month

i suppose it works two ways...

he is screwing you if you ask for the day off and he says you cant have it...

he isnt screwing you if you wanna take a day off every week and he lets you

Old 03-24-2011, 01:53 PM

Sounds like he's being pretty reasonable and trying to work with you on it and that your dad is just trying to protect his son. Personally I wouldn't take it but that's just me... Do what works best for you!

Old 03-24-2011, 02:02 PM

I wouldnt be gone on that deal because I like to get paid for the week in one go. Dosent sound like he to rip you off though

Old 03-24-2011, 03:31 PM

as long as you trust your boss the deal doesnt sound horrible

Old 03-24-2011, 04:21 PM

i wouldnt take it, its like a work now pay later thing, id rather get what im owed when im owed it. just makes it easier to jip you later down the line, in hopes you forget or something. id Just take the hrs n get paid for them even if i didnt get paid overtime, id get all the money for all the work u did. But ultimately its up to you bro.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:37 PM

Yeah I trust him, he will probably have me keep track off my rollover hours so all that will be up to me. If anything I could screw him because my time sheets are all on the honor system. I could write down any time I want and he can't prove it one way or the other. I guess I come out pretty good as long as he doesn't work me like a slave.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:51 PM
2011 Ride of the Year

sounds like a good deal, sometimes its nice to have a day off and get payed for it so to speak.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:58 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

man, its work....its not supposed to be the best and greatest thing in the world.... the fact that you actually like who you work with and can stand the work that you do says volumes about the job you have. that'll be hard to duplicate anywhere else you go. so many people are having a tough time gettin full time hours right now.

not to mention, you're in school. thats the most important thing, much more so than the job. if you want to load up your hours during the months when school isn't an issue, and still have money rolling in from the job when you're focussing more on your school, that sounds like the ticket.

if you have a good relationship with your boss, go for it.

Quick Reply: Opinions? Would you take this deal?