Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

OMG TY Computer GOD!!! My HDD Disappeared

Old 01-06-2007, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OMG TY Computer GOD!!! My HDD Disappeared

omg if there is a god i thank u sooo much. so this is what happen i have 5 HDD`s(hard drives) in my computer. i turn on my pc and i have no desktop so i think goddamit my little bro did something, and i just went “who cares”. so then i start up Firefox and AIM and aim said broken shortcut(me going ?WTF? ) i go to my computer and notice there is no D drive so what the hell happen to it.

i look if it was hidden, nope
i looked if it was off, nope
i looked if it was in device manager, nope
Where the F@#$ did it go.
restarted pc to see if it was even getting detected on start up and is it was there.
started up pc and it said new device found, mass storage, ready to use. i when to my computer and YAY! D drive is back, i open it and a popup says not formatted. i was like noooooooo wtf what about all my info on it. i go to DOWNLAOD.COM and start looking for recovery software. i find some good ones that seem to work but before i go all into it and try to recover my drive i will try one more restart to see what happens.

i restart and i see my desktop. YAY!!!!! That means my D drive is back, i almost $hit my pants. i was so happy. i cant believe what i would of done with out it. i have a text file on it where i have the usernames and passwords to like all my accosts on everything. Anyways i was soo scared but now its all good. i no idea what happen but i wish it does not happen again and i am about to back up all the important info right now.

Old 01-06-2007, 04:31 PM
Default RE: OMG TY Computer GOD!!! My HDD Disappeared

Text file on your d drive eh..... hmmmmm..... [sm=badbadbad.gif]

MDFF

Old 01-06-2007, 05:11 PM
Banned

Hmmm...

Do you have a Western Digital drive, by chance? If so, the Maxtors and Raptors are known to fail, starting very similarly to what you have experienced. Too bad too, the Raptors are awesome, I have 2 in Raid 0 setup.

I'd go shopping for drives if I were you.

Old 01-06-2007, 05:14 PM

ORIGINAL: james007torres24

i cant believe what i would of done with out it. i have a text file on it where i have the usernames and passwords to like all my accosts on everything. Anyways i was soo scared but now its all good. i no idea what happen but i wish it does not happen again and i am about to back up all the important info right now.
Having a text file on your computer with all your usernames/passwords is the SECOND stupidest thing you can do security wise. ANNOUNCING IT TO THGE WORLD in an online forum is the first.
You just declared yourself a target to evry ckracker wanabe within earshot that might want to do some identity theft.

Backing up your files is always a good idea, but usernames/ passwords are the kinds of things you either memorize, or record hardcopy (in separate pieces of paper as to dissacociate which username goes with which password anf for what account) and then keep it under lock and key.

Old 01-06-2007, 06:49 PM

I think ^ got my point. I don't mind people haveing a file with thier passwords on it, but don't tell people you have it,where it is, and what type of file it is. This may be a place of friends but people can see all posts without logging in.

MDFF

Old 01-07-2007, 09:26 AM

ORIGINAL: KidCr3nshaw

Hmmm...

Do you have a Western Digital drive, by chance? If so, the Maxtors and Raptors are known to fail, starting very similarly to what you have experienced. Too bad too, the Raptors are awesome, I have 2 in Raid 0 setup.

no its a Seagate. and i want to go to RAID but i want to first get 500GB HDD X 2 and of those fast drives(like a Raptor) i dont think it the drive. i read segate it the most reliable. i think its my PSU it came with my pc. i want to upgrade but i am reaaaallllly lazy and dont want to spend 60 or more bucks on one. i am dumb but W/E. its like 250W it running this.

Name:  pc.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  115.1 KB

ORIGINAL: WhiteDealershipRice

ORIGINAL: james007torres24

i cant believe what i would of done with out it. i have a text file on it where i have the usernames and passwords to like all my accosts on everything. Anyways i was soo scared but now its all good. i no idea what happen but i wish it does not happen again and i am about to back up all the important info right now.
Having a text file on your computer with all your usernames/passwords is the SECOND stupidest thing you can do security wise. ANNOUNCING IT TO THGE WORLD in an online forum is the first.
You just declared yourself a target to evry ckracker wanabe within earshot that might want to do some identity theft.

Backing up your files is always a good idea, but usernames/ passwords are the kinds of things you either memorize, or record hardcopy (in separate pieces of paper as to dissacociate which username goes with which password anf for what account) and then keep it under lock and key.

wow is some was able to get out of my computer i would be amazed. i would not use my pc to buy stuff if i was not 99.99% sure it was safe/secure. Even if someone did manage to get in to my pc i have sooooo many files and folders it would be vary hard to find anything. its not like it named "passwords and accouts.txt." i am even working on making a m0n0wall firewall.

i dont know how safe your pc`s are if you guyz have to write down your passwords to keep them safe. i sure dont want to use your pc`s.

Old 01-07-2007, 09:46 AM
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 01-07-2007, 10:40 AM

ORIGINAL: KidCr3nshaw

+1 These are warning signs. You don't get those all the time, so I would take full advantage of it and be pro-active.

Old 01-07-2007, 11:02 AM
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 01-07-2007, 05:12 PM

ORIGINAL: Mad

1. What OS?
2. Dude you've got no air flow!!!!
3. Run some sort of drive maintanence software... Try spinrite from GRC.com.
1. Windows MCE 2005
2. when my when i turn up my fans(the case fan most of all) air in sucked in throw every little hole it can find. its anoying becouse i have to clean it like every month becouse of the dust build up. all my hard drive temps are fine.
3. i did it said it was fine.

i am copying all the stuff on my drive to another one and i am ganna use it as the place i keep my recordings from my tv tuner, and dvd`s i make.