CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   No Title Purchases (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/no-title-purchases-124190/)

revilingfool 04-20-2011 09:11 AM

No Title Purchases

Hey CBRF, im in a debacle. I found a 04 yz250f that i can snag for 1500 in great condition with some extras. The only problem is the guy doesnt have a title. The bike is NOT hot tho....

He is second owner and has the lien title that the bank or finance place gives you and said he forgot the real title when he bought the bike. It is supposedly 3 hours south. Lien title is in my state.

My question is, how much do you guys care about titles for dirtbikes? im moving into an apartment in the fall and have to get rid of it sometime over the summer. Im just stuck cause of the title thing, i know another bike will come up probably but i just got the itch to ride.

Sprock 04-20-2011 09:33 AM

bike is not hot ........

How can you tell ??

Check with the LienHolder first ......... imo

revilingfool 04-20-2011 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Sprock (Post 1041747)
bike is not hot ........

How can you tell ??

checked the vin with the police station, The guys dad is also a cop. I guess your right, i have no way of really knowing for sure. I dont get any bad vibes from the guy though, he is an elementary school teacher.

Kuroshio 04-20-2011 10:05 AM

Still check with the lein holder. Might not be hot but for $1500 you could owe $3000 ;)

revilingfool 04-20-2011 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio (Post 1041760)
Still check with the lein holder. Might not be hot but for $1500 you could owe $3000 ;)

Would you look up his information in the white pages based off address and name on the title? I dont think his phone number is registered to the vin with yamaha, most likely just the address.

cynicalrider 04-20-2011 10:20 AM

I don't think I could get something knowing there still is a lien on it. That's a lot of risk to take.

Sprock 04-20-2011 10:28 AM

Ya , you need to see if ya can get a lien release if not , the lienholder still has ownership
interests in it and has the right to recover outstanding monies

Seafordguy 04-20-2011 12:14 PM

Take the VIN to the DMV and get the name of the last title holder. It costs 5 bucks in VA. That will tell you who technically holds title to it and whether there are any leins on it. Then you have two choices:

1 - call the last owner, see if he has a title, or would be willing to go get a duplicate and sign it over to you. I did that for a boat trailer that had changed hands a couple times. The guy got a duplicate and mailed it to me within a couple days.

2 - Go through the abandoned vehicle process and get a title that way (I did that for my first bike and got a clean title).

3 - buy the bike and say - "who gives a damn about a dirt bike title". I don't have a title for my 4 wheeler and have never lost ANY sleep over it.

adrenalnjunky 04-20-2011 12:28 PM

According to Ohio DMV - Off-Road vehicles do require titles.

Who holds the lein? A Financial institution or an individual? I mean I paid my truck off years ago, but the title is still sitting @ my credit union cause it's safer sitting in their vault than getting lost @ my house.

when I go to sell my truck, I'll swing by and ask for it.

If that's just the case, where he doesn't owe anything on the bike, then he just needs to contact that institution and have the title sent certified mail. Then do the swap.

If nothing else - make sure you get a notarized bill of sale if you pick it up.

pittsm 04-20-2011 12:35 PM

where is the bike at? I'm about 3 hours south of you. and yes in ohio offroad vehicles do have titles. unless it was originally purchased in another state that doesn't require them (kentucky). Message me and I might be able to help you out on this. I have a bit of experience in this area.