Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

No Margin of Error Is Acceptable.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 12:59 PM
Friend and Hero ...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: No Margin of Error Is Acceptable.

The Sea Stallion would have been much more suitable for this operation, but their numbers were limited for our use. Hell, the Marine Corps only has 54 Osprey can imagine the nightmare trying to get operational authority for use on one of these. For more than just a couple of hours

Old 02-26-2008, 01:33 PM

Is a fast rope insertion exactly what it says?

Old 02-26-2008, 02:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any combat troop or special ops soilders knows the risks of being a soilder. I for one cannot
stand helicopters, but they are a necessary evil in regards to being a vital mode of transportation.
I participated in a Air Warrior training exercise with airmen from Barksdale AFB & rangers from
Ft. Benning where we lost some soilders due to the helicopter hovering over a river during a
fast rope insertion. The pilots were flying with night vision goggles that night & it was without
a doubt several errors in training & judgement. I was working with a few A-10's with regards
to the FAC duties that night & witnessed this accident from 50 meters & it was horrible.
Full Gear & Water is a evil combination.

I like to view these fallen soilders as "Ghost Riders in the sky" watching over us.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:01 PM
Retired Super Moderator

Hardcorp, i appreciate the reply. I apologize if i came off as taking pot shots at anyones/any branches training methods or capabilities, as i was not my intent. All us military folk are pretty good at rippin apart other branches, so believe me when i say that if i had meant to rag on somethin, i would have lol.

I don't disagree with the finding of pilot negligence at all, for the record. Too fast, too low, wrong reaction to correct the emergency.

Don't be too hard on the whirly-birds!!! If you'd flown one, you'd fall in love like the rest of us.

OKIEZAC---i love the chinook, and i don't even fly them. They are an extremely capable bird--and fast as hell. Flying has it's dangers no matter what the airframe. Hell, i'm flyin one with only one engine----most people would call THAT a death trap. lol

-Adam