Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

New Helmet

Old 10-02-2009, 01:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking New Helmet

Hello to all. I am thinking about getting a new helmet, but wanted some ideas. Full face helmets -vs- full face flip up helmets. I like the flip ups, but do not know too much about them only what the store tells me. I am looking for some real input from some real people. So what better place than Cbr Forum. Thanks.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:03 AM
October 2011 ROTM

Personally I don't like the flip ups. I don't trust them. I don't want to be in a wreck and have my helmet flip and and grid my face off. I mean its a bit extreme I know. They probably have safety locks from preventing it but they are probably plastic and will break in a hard impact. I don't trust them and will always stick with a regular full face helmet but that's just my 2 cents.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:37 AM

ehh, not a big fan of the flip ups, a solid full face just seems more secure to me. Plus in my opinion it looks pretty dorky riding around with the front half of the helmet flipped up.. but I'm no expert, there may be some decent ones out there

Old 10-02-2009, 08:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Rob and D. While I'm sure there are some conveniences to a flip up, I think they look stupid and I wouldn't trust the face to stay down in a strong impact like I know a full face helmet would. Just not worth it to me.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:44 AM

Aestitically they look goofy.

With regard to performance/safety - I don't see anyone in ANY racing series using one. Not SBK, not F1, not NASCAR, not Indy, not CART - NOWHERE

Old 10-02-2009, 10:28 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Seafordguy
Aestitically they look goofy.

With regard to performance/safety - I don't see anyone in ANY racing series using one. Not SBK, not F1, not NASCAR, not Indy, not CART - NOWHERE
+1 ON THAT!

Also they're heavier than a normal full face . The Cops in the UK use 'em but I think that's a convenience thing.

Unless you have a reason to be constantly removing your helmet , I'd stick with a normal full face as the flip-face is a design compromise.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:41 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wear a Shoei RF-1000. Lightweight, aerodynamic, & fits well. Plus, right now, they're on sale just about everywhere.

I don't care for flip-up type helmets either.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:48 PM
Talking sport or tour

the big diff in your choice is the flip up is more of a touring helmet. ive always felt that a full face is super strong and less likely to fail in a high impact. +1 on above advice, if your a level headed cruizer get what you want, if your a tire shreader, envelope pusher get the full face brother. peace

Old 10-02-2009, 03:11 PM
Ladies Lounge Moderator

Level headed cruiser LOLOLOL

+1 to what everybody else said. I just don't trust the flipups though I love the idea since I'm stuck with glasses for the rest of my life.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Elfling
Level headed cruiser LOLOLOL

+1 to what everybody else said. I just don't trust the flipups though I love the idea since I'm stuck with glasses for the rest of my life.
I've mastered taking my glasses off with one hand while unbuckling the helmet with the other

Guy at work with an 08 has a flipup. Not liking the look for one. The other is his skills are still so poor despite being on the bike all summer (he's the guy that drags his foot for 1/2 blocks or more). I try not to be like him in every way

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Helmet