Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Need some input on careers in the military.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 01:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need some input on careers in the military.

Yea, if I didn't know any better I would already be signing my life away to the military, but I have hear lots of bad stories like woodyracing's. I have hear plenty of good stories too, but I need to examine all of my options completely. I'm already on my way to a great career as a mechanical engineer if I choose to, so I do have other options, but "normal" engineering as a profession sounds very dull to me.

Some time this week I'm going to drop by the recruiting offive down the street from my house to get some more info. My freinds dad, a vietnam vet, told me to bring him with me when I decide to do this so he can explain everything to me.

My biggest concern is that I would join expecting to do something that will use my current education and build on it for my future, and then get stuck doing some other bs that won't really mean **** to me once im out. I'm all for serving my country, but i have to look out for my own future first.

Old 10-19-2007, 03:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Bigpops

My advice...call some base's. Ask to speak to someone in the field your considering.Hit up all of the services.Get a tour! Sounds crazy? If your thinking long term, it could be the best day you ever spent.

In my opinion...if you want pure professionlism? Then no doubt - Marines!

Navy and Air Forcea tied second. Just depends if you want to be on land or sea. Though I do feel the Air Force is more "corporate" than the other services.

As far as taking care of their people? Air Force is hard to beat. They do have the best of everything.

Good Luck. Let me know if I can help.

just like always...nobody talks about the uscg.

its cool....i'll just keep answering the phone calls from all the other servicemembers that want to try a get into the uscg. marines call my office the most then navy then army and we do get a few airforce members callin.....retention rate in the coast guard is like 85%

DON'T HATE! LOL

Old 10-19-2007, 04:15 PM

ORIGINAL: Donohu40

My biggest concern is that I would join expecting to do something that will use my current education and build on it for my future, and then get stuck doing some other bs that won't really mean **** to me once im out.
I would have to say that you should maybe look at another branch rather than the Air Force because one of their 3 core values is service before self. Meaning doing what is in the best interest of your country while putting aside personal needs.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:17 PM

Yea I actually just talked to a recruiter for the marines and he definitly turned me off from doing this, well atleast with the marines, but in a good way. He didn't give me any bs and just told me how it is, and I don't think the marines is for me. I would love to be part of something as elite and respectable as the marines, but it seems like my career as an engineer would kinda be put on hold, and the whole reason I want to do something like this is to build my knowledge and career as an engineer. The other branches are probably similar in that I would have to be lucky to do something with engineering, or even close.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:23 PM

btw, I don't mean to come off as a self centered person or w/e it may be. If I thought that my country really needed me I wouldn't have a second thought about signing up. If all hell broke loose I'd be the first in line to fight. Right now I feel like I could contribute more to society from the states, but i guess that all depends on what job i can get when i graduate.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:43 PM

Anyone have any experience with the army corps of engineers?

Old 10-19-2007, 07:02 PM

Twisted....sorry for the lack of attention. Coast Guard has some unique qualifications also...they just don't seem to fit a Mechanical Engineer. Wouldn't you agree?

Old 10-19-2007, 07:05 PM

I thought about doing the Navy Nuclear program and it seemed like a good option but I decided I'd rather work in a business setting. My dad was in the navy so he is really biased about how great it is and I can't take the opinion of someone who is currently in the program. After hearing some horror stories about what the job entailed I said no thanks . Personally, if you're getting an engineering degree from a good program then I don't see how you can't find a job doing just about anything you wanted. The way it has been told to me is a lot of engineers are retiring and they need young people to join. One company I am aplying to has 450 position s which means if you apply you get the job.

I'm sure if you look you will definately find a job doing someting you find enjoying and a lot of graduates switch jobs after 5-6 years anyway.

I'm a graduating senior (May '08) so I have been looking at my options for a while.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:05 PM

I still lean towards the AF...where else can you spend 20 years and never really have a job?

(just kidding...couldn't resist)

All kidding aside, to join the military...it has to be something you really want...if not you will be miserable. Some people are made for it, others not so much.

Quick Reply: Need some input on careers in the military.