Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 09:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Need some advice.

They don't sell 'Riding for dummies' book anymore?? no j/k!

I believe you are doing a good job, your enthusiasms and patience can be seen (is itbecause she is still your gf not yr wife yet?). Keep up the good work!

Some people will catch up fast, vice versa. Start from the basic, like inthe parking lot, on her own pace and gradually to open roads, highways, tracks, wheelies, stoppies, burn outs, drags.....

Old 06-24-2008, 09:24 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take the msf with her, maybe that will get her to go sooner.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:31 PM

ORIGINAL: wafflef4i

Hey guys this is my first thread, and I wanted to make it a good one. We just bought my girlfriend a Ninja 250, she has NEVER ridden a bike before, and to be honest she hasnt exactly mastered driving a car yet. So I have the task of teaching her how to ride a bike. She is thinking of taking the course next spring, but wants some experience before she goes. She would also like to save the money and put it towards a 600 if possible. I started off by "racing" motocross, and never really had a learning period, just kinda did it, and of course the street bike was a pretty smooth natural transition. So what I am asking of my fellow Honda lovers is for any advice on riding/training that I may overlook or take for granted as coming "naturally". I told her to take the safety class, but she wants to learn from me. She gets frustrated very easily, so it has been a little hectic, but she is making strides every time she is on the bike.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

HOLY ****!!!!! Hell, go ahead and let her have her cellphone too.

The main thing she needs to know is PAY ATTENTION TO EVERYTHING. How you're riding, who's around you, what's around you. I have countless people tell me they want to buy a bike and I can just picture them killing themselves.

Also motorcycles arnt for everyone so if she just stay frustrated then she just doesnt need to ride a bike.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:53 PM
Friend and Hero ...

Now Brandon there are a lot of individuals, especially in the Pacific rim who never learned to master a four-wheel vehicle, who can ride the hell out of two wheels. While I do not disagree with your assessment completely. I just would like to point this fact out and once again say It's best to start off with the MSF course. It's the smartest move ever

Old 06-25-2008, 12:22 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Consider these..................also look up the "being aware" post on the Hurricane Forum

http://cid-fd1db3fa41cb79a5.skydrive...niques%201.pdf

http://cid-fd1db3fa41cb79a5.skydrive...niques%202.pdf

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ho...ays/index.html

Also at http://cid-fd1db3fa41cb79a5.skydrive....aspx/CBR1000F
cbr1000f manual; Honda common service maunal; & Bike book (Twist of the Wrist)

Old 06-25-2008, 06:51 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: HARDCORP 8654

Now Brandon there are a lot of individuals, especially in the Pacific rim who never learned to master a four-wheel vehicle, who can ride the hell out of two wheels. While I do not disagree with your assessment completely. I just would like to point this fact out and once again say It's best to start off with the MSF course. It's the smartest move ever
Agreed...MSF is a step in the right direction for a beginner.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like everyone else said...make her take the MSF first. The best way to get out of a bad habit is not to learn it to begin with.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:58 AM

This is all great advice. I appreciate everyone taking the time out of their day to help me out. I will have her look into getting into a course sooner than first planned. Keep the advice coming. Thanks all. And the one that said get a ZX-14 needs a brain scan.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:33 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I recommend teaching her in very small steps. I taught a female friend once on how to ride with my bike. I started out with a very large Wall-Mart parking lot with plenty of open space. I then explained to her the dash and what the gauges and indicators were. Next was the controls, I covered were they are and their functions. From there, I moved into how to start the bike. Next I had her work the throttle and clutch, just enough to get the bike moving a few feet with both feet out and then stopping with the front brake. I had her repeat this for some time which I am sure did a number on the old clutch. Then came the moment of truth... moving the bike in first gear only with the feet on the pegs. Worked like a charm. Then after riding the bike in first gear only and being able to stop in a stable and controlled manner, I told her to shift into second. From there... she was unstoppable. This process took a couple nights with an hour or so working on it.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:30 PM

ORIGINAL: HARDCORP 8654

The ninja 250 is a excellent choice for a beginner bike. She may outgrow it quickly, but it will absolutely help build confidence. I suggest not waiting till next spring to take the MSF course. I do not give a damn how old you are, how long you've been riding, there's nothing like getting back to the basics to help correct some bad habits that you may have picked up along the way and to teach the correct method from the beginning. The MSF course is basically mandatory for all military personnel who wish to ride on any facility and I was one of the original holdouts. Back in the day on the whole issue. Hell, the Marine Corps sent some guys off to track school. So they could come back and teach everyone else who wanted to know what they learned. I'm just throwing that out, there as a primary example of how classroom work and basic repetitive skills training can and will pay off in the long run. Have her take the MSF course now and in the spring, send her back for the advanced riders course. Isuggest you take it with her some facilities will not allow you in a class with anyone else, you know, others have no problem with this. You speak of the transition from dirt to pavement. The methods used to handle both bikes are not as similar as you might think, if you made the transition without a problem as most have. It's only because you mastered the one basic skill, keeping it balanced and upright to some degree and overcoming the natural fear of that first basic skill. I have spent more than half my life on two wheels. Everything from drag racing to tracking a bike, and I'm telling you that there were some basic things. I was overlooking, most of them were safety precautions, but still it's little things like this that your life depends on. God for bid something happen andShe is severely injured. Maybe for the rest of her life. Would you want that weight hanging over your head. Just thinking that maybe you had done everything you could to prepare her for the open road. Or would you like the satisfaction of knowing that you have provided every possible advantage to her beforehand. Tobetter preparing her for the unforeseen future and give herthe necessary tools to succeed
also you are new to this forum so you must understand, if hardcorp says do it you fuggin do it

Quick Reply: Need some advice.